ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Road Presence

Clio V6
I've seen a few 197's on the road lately and have to say they look bloody lovely when driving past, nice wide profile. I don't actually think they're far behind the Vee in terms of their presence. Not sure why but they certainly look better than the 200 to me.

In summary, great all round car :cool:

Mini JCW
Funny you say that, i'm selling mine due to it's 'lack' of presence! (Well that and it's mediocre performance).

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
They are ace, I never appreciate mine, until I see another, nice drop accentuates it even more :)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
ive noticed that, i think its something to do with the front bumper making them look wider. 200s dont look as wide on the road which is odd :dapprove:

how much wider is the v6 than the 197/200 does anyone know?

Mini JCW
Really? Pics of said car please.

It's just a bog standard Nimbus Grey 197. The best angle is bang on front, especially when walking back to the car after paying for fuel - I think 'fcuk yeah'! Side profile I don't like though - much preferred the overall look of my 172 Cup tbh!

Gaz - I agree a subtle drop and spacers on the rear make the car, I just have no desire to 'modify' this car for some reason :S. Looking to replace with either an R26 or a MK1 FRS though.

[
6241227652_e1f30f07b9.jpg

Clio V6
The width of the Vee is 183cm at it's widest point (excluding wing mirrors). No idea what the 197 is.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The width of them doesn't come across in photos, only in real life do you notice!

Indeed

img_4549.jpg

4225531366_b87669d401_b.jpg

4115135717_2654c4ee1b_z.jpg

I do think the black headlights also help somewhat. I've often thought of blacking my cup ones

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
after looking at these pics, i think the 197 front bumper ends a lot more 'suddenly' whereas the 200 has more of a nose/point to it

1496804d.jpg
[/IMG]

Christ even now 200's still look w**k
200's lose it imo as its gives a 'pinched in' impression

Still gay that 'join' etc

;)

They're wider than a vee aren't they? Remember seeing a pic of a vee next to a 197 and it looked tiny, I'll try and dig it out.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
pinched in? as in grabbing the front and pulling lol?

and that join?... the headlight/bumper? :eek:

Join being the bumper/headligt, still looks an arse three years later

Pinched in

images

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQH3ppta4E6FAzDqm0m8dSXqAosJDyTMK39TKvPz7HBZMIKuXo_.jpg

Its like an optical illusion of where the bumper sides/bottom of the headlights meet the black insert..... it seems to make the car have less presence?

Clio V6
They're wider than a vee aren't they? Remember seeing a pic of a vee next to a 197 and it looked tiny, I'll try and dig it out.

It wouldn't surprise me, the way the Vee looks is down to it's proportions (width v height).

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Join being the bumper/headligt, still looks an arse three years later

Pinched in

Its like an optical illusion of where the bumper sides/bottom of the headlights meet the black insert..... it seems to make the car have less presence?

i get you. its the slightly 'more vertical' headlights (if that even makes sense)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
The 197 just works imo, it was how the Mk3 was supposed to look, not some half arsed nose slapped on it to 'freshen' it up....

Its a good looking car with a few tweeks imo :)

I can't find the bugger :dapprove:

Here's another though. Hope Magpie doesn't mind me using this. 197 is definitely taller but looks almost as wide! Totally agree with OP though. A lot of road presence.

2009_04051stjag197vee0004.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
down, not a fan of spacers (fitted them to the Abli in the pic above) hero spoiler mmmmmmmmm, depends what colour, not been brave enough on any of mine yet :/

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
down, not a fan of spacers (fitted them to the Abli in the pic above) hero spoiler mmmmmmmmm, depends what colour, not been brave enough on any of mine yet :/

i think the wheels need to be coaxed out of the arches, they look like go karts when theyre dropped slightly and spaced :)

yours is white isnt it? that can pull off any of the spoilers ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Indeed, dropped on KW's also ;)

I have a sprint fitted, but quite like the naked look!

197310509093.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The 197 front is better looking, for sure.

The back looks SO weedy in comparison though. They need the 200's diffuser and badges. And no daft ironing board spoiler.

Fat b*stard.

4f3362da.jpg

Can't wait for mine to have lows and spacers, looks 100% better with a bit of stance, roll on next month!

The main reason I got mine was after seeing an albi blue, just looked so wide from the front, and it made my mind up straight away!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I loved how 'wide' my 197 was - loved looking in the side mirrors and seeing the rear three quarters bulging outwards.

7a.jpg

Such a shame it was slower than the Trophy, but used more fuel than the M3.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
If you have a lowered spacered 197 with the front splitter & Xenons they look epic-

S