ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 Timing Belt Change

Looking again at the guides I think I know where I may have gone (slightly) wrong. I never had 799-01 pulley tool in order to rotate the belt 6 times so I just rotated it via the crank pulley.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Looking again at the guides I think I know where I may have gone (slightly) wrong. I never had 799-01 pulley tool in order to rotate the belt 6 times so I just rotated it via the crank pulley.

You wouldn't be able to use that if your crank pulley is keyed, unless I'm mistaken.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If the cams have moved that much then they have been incorrectly torqued up. First of all make sure the crank is pinned up in the right hole.

Keyed crank pulley is easy to do, simply rotate the crank on the old pulley bolt, turn engine a few times repin crank and check horse shoe goes in.

UPDATE on this (I'm fortunate I can just leave it alone for a while, then come back to it hence the randomness!):

Timing was retimed and same low power issues. Became convinced valves had become bent so whipped head off and frustratingly found no issues and valves seemed fine (tested them with petrol sitting on the top of them and no leaking). Put head back on and timed back up and treble checked.

Car driving worse than ever and now sounds a bit tickier on idle than it did. Pulled codes but nothing stored or present so I'm at a bit of a loss! Timing is fine now so I'm at a loss unless either a lifter or the dephaser pulled has developed an issue.