ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 to Trophy??

White clique
Possibly lol. I know what to expect in the 182, as have regular access to my sisters 182, will feel a bit of a backward step interms of interior etc.....but hmmmmm. Keep having these thoughts lol. Must be because i keep seeing one, hell i even had a dream about one!!! (weird)

this can only mean an obsession - you can actually make your dreams come true!

Have you test driven a trophy yet?

PH1 172
know what ya mean - i have a simliar fleeting thought about both a trophy and a 172 cup again!

but cant think of anything either does better than the 197! miss the raw feeling of the cup but dont think thats enough to make me go back to one!

will have one as a track toy when thye get really cheap i think!

Cayman S Edition 1
Rexinatrophy (who owned my 197) and jay197 both went from 197 to trophy and seem happy.

I'm thinking of 197 to BMW Z4 coupe at the mo!

How comes, are you bored with the 197?

Yup went from this;

respray1.jpg

To this;

trophy.jpg

And love it to bits!!

(We traded the 197 in for a 225, so still have a comfort fun car!)

Swift Sport
I have just as much fun in my 197 as I ever did in my previous Clios!

Mine's lowered, re-mapped, ITG filter and no airbox cover!

- looks good
- drives good
- goes well

:)

Cayman S Edition 1
I have just as much fun in my 197 as I ever did in my previous Clios!

Mine's lowered, re-mapped, ITG filter and no airbox cover!

- looks good
- drives good
- goes well

:)
So was my 197. Since having a remap and new exhaust on the Trophy though, its a real improvement.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
this can only mean an obsession - you can actually make your dreams come true!

Have you test driven a trophy yet?

No, but as said previously i have regular access to a 182 Cuppacked (owned one too, with Recaros) i know they have firmer suspension, i think its more the exclusiveness tbh!!!

know what ya mean - i have a simliar fleeting thought about both a trophy and a 172 cup again!

but cant think of anything either does better than the 197! miss the raw feeling of the cup but dont think thats enough to make me go back to one!

will have one as a track toy when thye get really cheap i think!

True. I Think if i did move it would be a step back. I do approx 200 miles a week, and think the gruffness would piss me off (again lol) The 197 is a lovely place to be

I wish. Could afford one, but do too many miles, would ruin one. Cambelt time your looking a few k also!!

Cayman S Edition 1
If you do a lot of driving, stick with the 197 or get a 225, but pesonally my Trophy would be too much for the long trips

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe you should have got an R27 and not a 197?

Not sure I would be swapping all the time be losing too much money.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Maybe. Didnt hold out as i was always getting coilovers, so no need for the cup chassis. Think i'll be reet, i think i'd regret it if i did get a Trophy, as said, the general gruffness of the Mk2 got to me after 4 yrs, hense the change to a 197.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Had a Trophy for 2 yrs sold it while they still fetched good money.

Once warmed up i used to give it death, hence the amount of replacement parts i had under warranty some serious dollar ie new g box.

Unlike the 'polishing club' i got more fun from visiting GP circuits & many trackdays.

After doing Oulton Park with Renault & being able to do back to back tests with R26 & 197 Cup, was amazed at how quick i could go in the Cup. Being stock motor track manners were excellent.

Trophy was gone month after!

Still deciding on R26 or R27 as prices slide & not having to clean a car this winter has been joy;)

If you get a 'good' Trophy it may work, seen some dogs at shows.

I like the warranty to fall back on:D

Cayman S Edition 1
Yup, I do Bradford-Portsmouth-Bradford in a day to go to Rentech without any problem, I personally think the Recaros are the comfiest seats i've ever had. Yeah the suspensions hard - so what :)

Man up TBH ;)

Nice

White clique
^^^ depends on what you look for in a car, not everyone wants an uncomfortable ride TBH. If you have ridden in a 197 you'd know what he means, they are more comfortable, bottom line.

Tangoed Works
i think a trophy with ap racings would be ace. tearing up the welsh mountain roads in one would be heaven and not having the bulk and the frills the 197 offers. i still miss my 182!

Cayman S Edition 1
^^^ depends on what you look for in a car, not everyone wants an uncomfortable ride TBH. If you have ridden in a 197 you'd know what he means, they are more comfortable, bottom line.
Cheers mate. Nice to see someone has an open mind.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
R27 for me mate. Red or albi. Black wheels! Done!
You'll have those come in your pants recaros aswell!
Also rare.
Don't take a step back tbh. Just my opinion of course.

Trophy #490
No way is a Trophy a backward step from the 197. If you're after a car for blasting around challenging roads theirs nothing much than can compare with the Trophy's pace, especially for what £7k now? It's such a different car to a 182/182 Cup, the Sachs dampers totally transform it.

The 197 has a far, far better interior yes, but other than that the Trophy wins hands down every single time from a driving point of view. I'm a big fan of 197's, love 'em infact but I wouldn't even consider swapping the Trophy for one. I tried an R27 and really liked it, but as soon as I got back into the Trophy and had a quick blast I knew it'd be a keeper. It's an infectious little car, that never fails to put a smile on my face.

Looks wise I find it difficult to choose between the two, your 197 looks brilliant! I let my mate have a drive in the Trophy last weekend while I was driving his Tommi Makinen and mine looked amazing in the rear view mirror, I then waved him past to overtake me and it really did look gorgeous. Capsicum red is a colour that needs to be seen in the flesh IMO, as it can look a bit pink in photos. When it's clean it looks great, especially with the Anthracite Turini's.

The driving position of the 1*2's is always commented upon, but I find it great. I'm 5ft 10, and have no issues with it at all. The ride around town at normal driving speeds of like 30/40mph is rubbish really, very crashy and bumpy, but the faster you go the more it smoothens out. It's strange, but true! The Recaro's are brilliant, really comfy. I've taken mine from Yorkshire to the west coast of Scotland and the Isle of Skye and it coped admirably with the distance.

Brakes as standard are poor IMO, but if you're on about changing 'em, that won't be a problem.

Have a drive in one, and you'll be hooked. They don't call it the best hot hatch ever made for nothing you know!

182 trophy 172 cup
Evo article may help you. March edition.

Here you go.................

……………………………………I own a Trophy!

If you really, and I mean really, enjoy your driving and do not worry about Bluetooth connectivity (Talking while you're driving, what's that about? Listening to music when you can listen to an engines rasp!), cornering headlights (My head moves!), Xenons (Are you blind? Because the person coming towards you is!), then read on.....................

"Weirdly, considering it's common-or-garden roots, it's the Clio Trophy I'm most excited about driving. Hard to say why really. I remember loving the big engine/small car theme, but all hot Clios from the original 16v up to this, the final swansong for the 172/182 line, delivered that in spades. Weirder still, I don't remember being blown away by the Trophy when it was new, but I have a theory for that: back then it was just another rung on the Clio ladder, a further incremental improvement of what was already a superb hot hatch.

Now, driving it in isolation, it's clear just how remarkable it is!

Five hundred right hand drive Trophys were built, all destined for the UK, Renaultsport's biggest market (a small batch of left-hookers went to Switzerland). Every one was finished in Capsicum Red paint with 'Trophy' logs on the sills and anthracite 16 inch Speedline alloys. They were properly tricked out too, riding lower on bespoke remote-reservoir Sachs dampers reputedly ten times more expensive than conventional shocks.

Inside it’s fairly typical fast-Renault fare. The biggest criticism people had of the Renaultsport Clio- it’s high driving position- was improved, if not totally corrected by a set of Recaros delivering a 10mm lower seating position.

The Clio dispatches the first few miles, it’s big-lunged engine turning every extra crank revolution into forward momentum with little apparent effort. And then we arrive at the B2141. It’s a great road; gloriously wide sweepers early on eventually contracting into a tight ten-per-cent plunge off Harting Down.

The Clio dismisses the sweepers, the engine having a greater role than the chassis initially. Cripes, it’s rapid. The 0-62 time of 6.9 seconds looks distinctly pessimistic as the gutsy, growly Clio zips into the sweet spot of the rev range beyond 5000 rpm.
Then the twistier stuff arrives and boy, does the rat up a drainpipe Trophy love to change direction. Entry speed is largely irrelevant- just tip it in, the weighted front wheel grips, the back jacks up and round it scoots. As tricks go, this c**k-a-wheel-in-the-air stance is a simple one, but it’s done with such perfection, such communication, such athletic balance and adjustability that it never becomes dull. Apart from the brakes (too wooden, not enough feel), I have such fun tearing down the hill that I immediately make the return journey. From T-junction to top I can’t think of much that would keep up- an EVO maybe…………..

The Trophy is a masochist, never happier than when being thrashed. The responses are instant and pure, the link between right foot and trajectory certain. You don’t smile when driving this car, you hoot and snort with laughter. It’s not very grown up, but then this ballsy bundle of fun with it’s magnanimous traction control and gigglesome chassis isn’t designed to be mature.

Has the small car/big engine/giant personality thing ever been done better? I don’t think so. This, the last of the old-school over –engined naturally aspirated hatches, is Renault’s perfect moment”

Thanks for settling an age old debate Evo!

Renaultsport Clio Trophy.

What a car!

Last edited:
  BG182®
No way is a Trophy a backward step from the 197. If you're after a car for blasting around challenging roads theirs nothing much than can compare with the Trophy's pace, especially for what £7k now? It's such a different car to a 182/182 Cup, the Sachs dampers totally transform it.

Even cheaper then that now I've seen. I feel the same way as you fella from what you posted above even though I a 182 with cup packs.

I've had my 182 now for 2weeks. £70 of petrol used allready as I just can't seem to take my back side out of the driver's seat. The saddest thing of all is I've popped out a couple of time's on my lunch just to take it round some county lanes. (very rare in south London) I can only imagine the Trophy would make my smile even more causing a skin creasing scar on my cheeks :D

Cayman S Edition 1
Even cheaper then that now I've seen. I feel the same way as you fella from what you posted above even though I a 182 with cup packs.

I've had my 182 now for 2weeks. £70 of petrol used allready as I just can't seem to take my back side out of the driver's seat. The saddest thing of all is I've popped out a couple of time's on my lunch just to take it round some county lanes. (very rare in south London) I can only imagine the Trophy would make my smile even more causing a skin creasing scar on my cheeks :D

Had the same thing when I went from the 197 to the Trophy. Its an brill motor and I can't see myself ever getting rid of it.