ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197 vs 182

clio 182
hey all my first post here, i think lol

im definatly goin to get a RS as my next car (I currently own a c2 GT, not a bad car). the trouble is i dont know which one to go for, i may be getting a full time job this year so i may buy a new FF 197 but as its not definte bout me getting offerd this job shall i jus go ahead and buy a 182? im in uni still bt i can afford a 182 if i save up for a couple of months and part exchange my c2.

so guys, which one should i go for?

also, ive heard that the 197 is not that fast:S even tho its got a stated time of 0-60 in 6.9 same as the 182, are they slower/faster/ the same as the 182 or am i jus hearin things?

thanks guys!

www.renparts.co.uk
do a search mate, its been done to death, lot of the 197 haters haven't even driven one. And it seems a lot of the people on here thing speed=noise, most 197 owners say there isn't a feeling of speed like the 182 but you get a shock when you look at the speedo sometimes. 197 is much more refined and better built, road holding is supposed to be superb and the brakes fantastic. 182 is a much smaller car really, again great brakes. Depends on what your looking for really. the ass is dropping out of 182 prices now and you can get a decent one with about 55k on for under 7k in some cases privately, 10.5k will get you a 197 with less miles, are you thinking of buying from a dealer? or privately?

Oh and welcome to the forum.

clio 182
sorry, i didnt mean 187 vs 182 in like a race setting lol, i love the look of both cars, i'd want prefarbly (sp?) a low milage 182 from a dealer, but i had get offered this full time job (i dont know when that will be tho and im getting impatient lol) i would buy a brand new 197 on finance from renault. even though i love the 197 im thinking the 182 would be a good cheaper alternative?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
dear lordy lord.. not again ;)

182 feels rawer

197 is more civilised

both are quick, there's little in it in the real world.

just depends which is best for you tbh.

FIN.

If it were me, id get a late 172, even a cup and spend the extra on mods (seats, wheels and exhaust).

Welcome btw.

clio 182
In regarding the 172 cup, ive heard they hav not got ABS or anything like tha? becoz i know in my c2 GT it has tha and a couple of times its helped me out. also somone told me at 60k they need a service which costs £1000, is that true?

2004 1.2 Dynamique
LOL Welcome to the forums, if you can afford the 197 get that you cant really compare it to the 182

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
£1000 service? Thats before the belt change too, are they mixing liquid platinum with our oil now days? :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
In regarding the 172 cup, ive heard they hav not got ABS or anything like tha? becoz i know in my c2 GT it has tha and a couple of times its helped me out. also somone told me at 60k they need a service which costs £1000, is that true?

True, 172 Cups lack ABS

The fabled 60k service is "only" £450 ish if you know where to go

RSTuning
Yozzasport
GDI

ST
I've had both...

Loved my 182 but all round the 197 is a better car..

Better components and overall build quality, its never going to be as good as the German standards but its a hell of a lot better than my previous MK2's...

Mk4 .:R32
I'd say a 197 having driven both. 182's are raw little beasts, the 197 is bigger, more comfortable and probably just as quick tbh. When I test drove one, it didn't feel as fast as my 172, but after being in my bro's, I'd say they are evenly matched in terms of speed. Standard brakes are miles better as well! My only jip was the fuel economy. You can get an extra 7/8 MPG from a 182 with the same driving style.

Gotta get one with xenons though!

Ad

MK2 FRS

True, 172 Cups lack ABS

The fabled 60k service is "only" £450 ish if you know where to go

RSTuning
Yozzasport
GDI

lol and technically its 72k serivce, although watch out for cups, as most should eithe have had it or are due shortly.

Clio 197 F1 R27
Don't get any yet, wait and save up and make the decision if you get the job. I wouldn't want to buy a 182 say then get the job and have to sell it, even if you do decide on the 182 not the 197, you'll be able to get a much better example if you wait till you get the job!

^Not really, you could get that for 7-8K as opposed to 14K for a 197.

Surely a new 197 is the quickest way to loose the most money.

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
197 looks w**k but is built better

the 182 is more raw but built worse

at the end of the day they are both french so you will loose money

i have driven all the rs models and to me the 172 cup is still the best (cheapest option,fastest, most raw) just dont end up in a hedge

if you must get new get a meg 225

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Check out evo this month.There 1 year car has gone back to the dealers with a 7k hit in 1 year

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
But why is it so bad for a high end car.The 182's never took this kind of hit surely

Some specilaist will say expect to pay that much as they recomend like I do the cambelt is chnaged then not 72k so cambelt service coolent chnage brake fluid chnage then new rear diks often etc it all adds up so they warn you to expect a big bill
Check out evo this month.There 1 year car has gone back to the dealers with a 7k hit in 1 year
Thats based on list price not the price paid.
Aye, I'd go 2nd hand if I bought a 197, the depreciation is just too much to bear.
Happens on all new cars though particularly hot hatches you can get them new for good money options etc up the price a lot tough
But why is it so bad for a high end car.The 182's never took this kind of hit surely
Yee they did if you paid list price original 182 were from memory about 14.6k before options so 197 ins't that much more plus you have to include inflation into that.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Inflation hasnt doubled has it edde

After 1 year there were 182's going for around 10-11k and thats not as big a hit as 7k.Theres a 197 for sale privately on here for 10.5k

For me anyway they just seam to have dived

Clio 197 F1 R27

Sorry mate but thats balls, check out Ebay or Autotrader, new a 197 is what £15,000? An 06 which is almost 2 years old now is going for £11,750 or another one with more miles at £10,250.

So thats not much of a drop in 2 years really is it?

Clio 172 mk2

After 1 year there were 182's going for around 10-11k and thats not as big a hit as 7k.Theres a 197 for sale privately on here for 10.5k

For me anyway they just seam to have dived

Sounds good.....for those of us who never buy brand new cars:D

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR

Sorry mate but thats balls, check out Ebay or Autotrader, new a 197 is what £15,000? An 06 which is almost 2 years old now is going for £11,750 or another one with more miles at £10,250.

Id consider £5k or over 30% of the value substantial to be quite high. I wouldnt be foolish enough to not expect it though, hence why i never buy new and why i would never buy new, just let someone else cough up the depreciation for me. :D

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
do a search mate, its been done to death, lot of the 197 haters haven't 182 prices now and you can get a decent one with about 55k on for under 7k in some cases privately,

You obviously not been shopping for 182 recently have you?

I bought a mint 05 reg 182 with 21k on the clock for £7k.

I think you could buy a 182 for just over £6k now if you really look and argue price. Also with much less than 55k!

P.S. - 197 FTW

Mk1 Eunos Roadster

They were going on list price to trade-in price. If a 197 is offered for sale at £11,750 the garage might have offered the first owner about 10k as a part-ex. Evo will probably have got a hefty discount in the first place, but they'll have been given the trade-in value when they too it back. In reality the hit would probably be 5k or so I'd think. Sell it privately and you'll maybe make a 3-4k loss instead.

The cup has affected the prices it always does.

Why do you think I recon inflation has doubled though list price 182 was about £14.6k 197 are what £16k for realy a whole new car not a facelift etc a 9.5% price rise is good realy plus most 182 were cup packed so that a bit more vs the original 197 which didn't have the packs so the price rise is more like 6% which isn't bad by a long way.

Just had a look there a 197 asking £11k near as makes no difference which is 57 plate which assuming it was a sept register is 15 month old isn't it. There a £12k one the same age.

People rarly pay the full list price 182 could be got new for less than what second hand ones were going for in the right channels and knowing the price new 197 can be got for 1 year old cars arn't that far off.