ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

197s are getting silly cheap?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
r27 was my favourite car I owned out of ph1 172, ph2 172, 172 cup, 182, 182 trophy, 197 r27 and 200 with cup pack. - the 200 would have been it but mine was a heap. yellow R27 with 200 box, rack, and dampers would be perfect for me
Wasn't yours blown up, then repaired by Renault and they completely ruined it?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Sounds like service as usual at RUK :rage:
Boston lot were my only experience though, in fairness
Standard. They fitted the wrong options to my car then refused to refund me for nearly a year.
When they did have the car in for "inspection" of the issue, they curbed my wheel and tried to charge me for a new one.
Great!

Listerine & Poledo
Standard. They fitted the wrong options to my car then refused to refund me for nearly a year.
When they did have the car in for "inspection" of the issue, they curbed my wheel and tried to charge me for a new one.
Great!
It took Boston 3 goes to do the belts on the old 172.
This was before my CS days though, I knew no better

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member
I couldnt sell my 197 18months ago. Wasnt up for silly money (2nd/3rd cheapest in 100miles that wasnt CAT D or in need of loads of work/service etc). It was on market for over 6 months and I had 2 people look, 1st wanted a silver one, other bought a 182. Didnt even get any calls/no-shows/tyrekickers.
Ended up keeping it as a spare when 182 was off road. as a daily i much prefer the 197 - but the 182 wins on track, grin factor and upkeep prices.

Clio 182
Hardest car I've sold was my meg 225.
It was a late 2007 with very low miles and literally needed nothing and was oe.
Took months to even get a viewing.

Seems people don't want to drop over 5k on a car without warranty.

My tatty 182 sold in a day with 3 people trying to buy it.
People will throw 2k around quite willingly.

I'm dreading when I've got to sell the 200, only blessing is I got it very cheap.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Wasn't yours blown up, then repaired by Renault and they completely ruined it?
that's the one, bought it brand new, went bang 1500 miles later, they made a c**t of repairing it, I fought them for 9 months, RUK, Arnold Clark and RCI Finance all involved, got no where, traded in £4k out of pocket when it was 11 months old! - older and wiser now I would have point blank refused the car and demanded a replacement/refund straight away.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
that's the one, bought it brand new, went bang 1500 miles later, they made a c**t of repairing it, I fought them for 9 months, RUK, Arnold Clark and RCI Finance all involved, got no where, traded in £4k out of pocket when it was 11 months old! - older and wiser now I would have point blank refused the car and demanded a replacement/refund straight away.
Jesus! Hassle eh

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
lol what's the deal with the options? I don't remember that
I ordered everything bar rear parking sensors (they look crap just stuck to the bumper) and they all came on the car, but they deleted some FF bits with Cup bits :/
I had a Cup interior light, Cup Tunepoint radio with no aux and USB panel etc. Really odd.
They sorted it all in the end, but I had to prove that I had ordered it. I just said "Well, it's obviously not a Cup"
Once they agreed that my car was not a Cup, they retro-fitted everything I ordered. :/

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I ordered everything bar rear parking sensors (they look crap just stuck to the bumper) and they all came on the car, but they deleted some FF bits with Cup bits :/
I had a Cup interior light, Cup Tunepoint radio with no aux and USB panel etc. Really odd.
They sorted it all in the end, but I had to prove that I had ordered it. I just said "Well, it's obviously not a Cup"
Once they agreed that my car was not a Cup, they retro-fitted everything I ordered. :/

lol what dick heads. I wonder if they were just trying to pull a fast one? "This fella won't have a clue that we've switched the parts out"

The company I bought my spoiler from said Renault ordered it for a customer and had it painted by this company.
It turned out the lad wanted the gt spoiler but they ordered the cup spoiler.
So Renault said to the company "we'll just not pay you, you keep that spoiler and sell it to recoup costs" lol!

Thanks to Renault I got a painted yellow spoiler for £150 :D

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
lol what dick heads. I wonder if they were just trying to pull a fast one? "This fella won't have a clue that we've switched the parts out"

The company I bought my spoiler from said Renault ordered it for a customer and had it painted by this company.
It turned out the lad wanted the gt spoiler but they ordered the cup spoiler.
So Renault said to the company "we'll just not pay you, you keep that spoiler and sell it to recoup costs" lol!

Thanks to Renault I got a painted yellow spoiler for £150 :smiley:
I've no idea. My car was a factory build from scratch so it's really odd. The dealership manager suggested that it was scheduled to be a Cup spec car, then it was switched for my order or something. I was just glad that they sorted it!
Ha! Typical. I assumed that was a franchise dealership that said that, rather than Renault UK?!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've no idea. My car was a factory build from scratch so it's really odd. The dealership manager suggested that it was scheduled to be a Cup spec car, then it was switched for my order or something. I was just glad that they sorted it!
Ha! Typical. I assumed that was a franchise dealership that said that, rather than Renault UK?!

I suppose that makes sense, they'll have the chassis ready to accept cup or standard spec parts won't they, rather than build one completely from scratch to order.

No idea, but it sounded mega pikey lol

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I suppose that makes sense, they'll have the chassis ready to accept cup or standard spec parts won't they, rather than build one completely from scratch to order.

No idea, but it sounded mega pikey lol
Probably a franchise dealer then. They're all pikeys when it comes down to the bottom line

2007 Clio 197 Black
I paid £3,600 for mine in July last year from a garage in Birmingham. At the time I didn't realise their was an active Facebook group with cars regularly for sale, I would have been spoilt for choice. I viewed a grey one with cracked bumpers, scuffs, different tyres each corner and perished window seals and the dealer had it up for £4,800 and quite frankly he stood no chance shifting it off his forecourt in the state it was. But in terms of private ads these really attract the tyre kickers and people looking at £3k-£4k car's and trying to get them for £1k. We shouldn't entertain these people, send them packing!!

I've owned an EP3 type R, MK6 fiesta ST and just recently bought a 197. If anyone is thinking about any of these heres my opinion.

The Type R was brilliant to drive nice and refined and the gearbox was phenomenal. VTEC was addictive and revving all the way to 8.5k was fun. Bad points the steering was slack and the turn in response was appalling. Brakes weren't that great either (even with DS2500's) The car generally felt heavy.

MK6 ST was disappointing to be fair, not a lot happening. Took ages to rev through the range and felt like there was no power. However handling was great when you gave it a few corners. But overall I expected more from it. However it had more equipment fitted standard than the civic.

Clio 197 suprislingly nice a refined and easy to drive. lots of features such as, auto lights, cruise control.Handling on these things are unreal turn in response is second to non car feels alive. Brakes are great. Not very quick in a straight line but who was fun going fast in a straight line ?

Last edited:
  Swift Sport
I've owned an EP3 type R, MK6 fiesta ST and just recently bought a 197. If anyone is thinking about any of these heres my opinion.

The Type R was brilliant to drive nice and refined and the gearbox was phenomenal. VTEC was addictive and revving all the way to 8.5k was fun. Bad points the steering was slack and the turn in response was appalling. Brakes weren't that great either (even with DS2500's) The car generally felt heavy.

MK6 ST was disappointing to be fair, not a lot happening. Took ages to rev through the range and felt like there was no power. However handling was great when you gave it a few corners. But overall I expected more from it. However it had more equipment fitted standard than the civic.

Clio 197 suprislingly nice a refined and easy to drive. lots of features such as, auto lights, cruise control.Handling on these things are unreal turn in response is second to non car deals alive. Brakes are great. Not very quick in a straight line but who was fun going fast in a straight line ?
I've owned the same three cars, but thought the Fiesta was the best overall. My least favourite was the Civic due to its naff steering and lack of torque. I did enjoy my 197 but the gearbox was awful, and I bought mine new...

Clio F1 197 Cup

Clio 197 suprislingly nice a refined and easy to drive. lots of features such as, auto lights, cruise control.Handling on these things are unreal turn in response is second to non car feels alive. Brakes are great. Not very quick in a straight line but who was fun going fast in a straight line ?
Curious comment, thank you for your insight, I've always liked the EP3s so it's curious to hear your thoughts. I've never really taken to the Mk6 ST, always felt like it was something lacking despite what I heard was pretty sweet handling, sounds like the engine lets it down a little.

On a wider point, surely its getting to the point that 197s are getting cheap enough to make a 225 engine swap economically viable! Lol

loggyboy

ClioSport Club Member

Curious comment, thank you for your insight, I've always liked the EP3s so it's curious to hear your thoughts. I've never really taken to the Mk6 ST, always felt like it was something lacking despite what I heard was pretty sweet handling, sounds like the engine lets it down a little.
Ive also had 2 mk6 STs (well wife had them) and I felt they were very underpowered compared to the 197 and 1*2s. In fact she went from ST to 197, to ST (to 2 sensible cars for kids) and back to a 197.
With the ST its like they designed the engine for a car that was 200kgs lighter. It felt nimble, but definitely a warm hatch not a hot hatch. Like the Renault GT to the RS, or the Ford XR3i to the RS turbo or the Vaux SRi to the GSi.
They should have just bolted the ST 170 lump in, probably would have done the job.

Clio F1 197 Cup
Ive also had 2 mk6 STs (well wife had them) and I felt they were very underpowered compared to the 197 and 1*2s. In fact she went from ST to 197, to ST (to 2 sensible cars for kids) and back to a 197.
With the ST its like they designed the engine for a car that was 200kgs lighter. It felt nimble, but definitely a warm hatch not a hot hatch. Like the Renault GT to the RS, or the Ford XR3i to the RS turbo or the Vaux SRi to the GSi.
They should have just bolted the ST 170 lump in, probably would have done the job.
Or the 3L turbo V6 from the Mondeo ST!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I've owned the same three cars, but thought the Fiesta was the best overall. My least favourite was the Civic due to its naff steering and lack of torque. I did enjoy my 197 but the gearbox was awful, and I bought mine new...

Don't suppose you've driven an R53 MCS as well? The gearbox is awful... worst I've ever driven. Considered selling the car after a few months but have just got used to it now, but would like to see how it compares!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Of a gearbox? Or my car lol..

MINI%201_zps54bbtu6l.png

Clio F1 197 Cup
Of a gearbox? Or my car lol..

MINI%201_zps54bbtu6l.png
Of the gearbox... clearly. Haha! Looks great mate, loving that front grill and stance. One of the best colours imo too. I very nearly bought one of these before my 182, I still think they are a cracking little car.

Swift Sport
Don't suppose you've driven an R53 MCS as well? The gearbox is awful... worst I've ever driven. Considered selling the car after a few months but have just got used to it now, but would like to see how it compares!
I have but not for a long time... I remember them being very bumpy and rattly!

Listerine & Poledo
Or the 3L turbo V6 from the Mondeo ST!
Well, firstly it was N/A in the ST220
But mostly that's a bad idea for handling.
Also, Ford would rather put models to market that will sell...... The Focus Convertibles being the exception to prove the rule :smile: