ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

looks mint mate, just read the whole project and its come a hell of a long way.

Look forward to seeing it at Marham!

BMW M5 & E36

Bit of an update. Cage arrived earlier this week having taken SEVEN weeks to come from OMP through YB Racing. I'd avoid YB for anyone looking at cages, spend a little more and by from somewhere that has a phone number, comms were CRAP.

Anyway, plan was to get it welded in tonight, hasn't happened in full. We've got part way there but have come across a fair few problems over the evening. Quality of the cage is very average and I'm pretty disappointed for £400 tbh. I'll not go into fine details but here are a few pics of the nights progress.

OMP's finest: :rolleyes:

IMG_1439.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

A use for a renault jack? Yep, footplates didnt fit without mass butchering.

IMG_1444.jpg

IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_1459.jpg

Picked up a new waterpump too

IMG_1437.jpg

On the plus side though, it looks feckin cool and will no doubt do a good job should I feel the need to roll it.

Thanks again Daz for skills and patience.

(A slightly disheartened) Chris :(

Glacier White 197 Cup

never seen this thread before, however its awsome! Wish i had the resources and talent to do this. can't wait to see the next update!

BMW M5 & E36

Cage looks seriously cool dude :D

I agree :cool:

Nice update....thats quite a way out up front :(

Yep, not very good considering what it costs. Will get there though.

never seen this thread before, however its awsome! Wish i had the resources and talent to do this. can't wait to see the next update!

Thanks mate :)

Quite a way out, is a nice way of putting it! :banghead:

Daz

Be fine! Got some more bolts today too.

thats startin to look awesome!! keep it up!

I'll do my best, coming together now though.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

Love the cage! looks lethal, hope you get it fitted alright

E92 M3 Monte Carlo

i've got the same cage mate and i know there not brilliant but the likes of safety devices are £1200 so 3 times the price

TVR Cerbera

i've got the same cage mate and i know there not brilliant but the likes of safety devices are £1200 so 3 times the price

Did your not sit properly either? can you PM Chris if you have any info (whiteley)

ValverInBits

Be fine! Got some more bolts today too.

Tell me your not bolting the cage in? I don't get the point of that. Weld the fcuker down and be done with it.
Cage itself looks alreet mate, just the box mounts are a bit :S

BMW M5 & E36

Tell me your not bolting the cage in? I don't get the point of that. Weld the fcuker down and be done with it.
Cage itself looks alreet mate, just the box mounts are a bit :S

There are holes and captive nuts in the cage and footplates, so I may aswell add them and weld it aswell rather than leave a load of open holes.

GP2

It's looking good Chirs! When I'm in Lincoln I'll pop over and have a look at some point if that's ok.

ITB'd 182...

Seems alot of cage for the money tbh.

You'd only get a show cage in a 1*2 for that. Look's impressive though :)

BMW M5 & E36

Update time.

Had a fair few more parts delivered to work in the past week, they love me.

Bilstein front dampers and lower springs, Williams fitment.

IMG_1473.jpg

GAZ adjustable rear dampers

IMG_1472.jpg

4 Toyo T1r's to go on the Williams wheels when I finish refurbing them

IMG_1495.jpg

A pair of 172 front hubs and calipers. I need to get the hubs modified to accept Williams shocks before they can go on the car, and clean it all up too

IMG_1471.jpg

Anyway, we carried on with the cage for a 2nd night and things went alot better. I'd made up a harness bar to sit in the rear section of the cage so that was welded in

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

The rest of the cage was then welded with minimal fuss, bar the underseal setting alight at any opportunity. Bit of a pain but can be re-sealed easily. Welds need a little fettling to look prettier but it's all in and bloody solid.

Started on the seat mounts next. I'd decided how I was going to do this a long while back but wanted to leave it until the cage was in to make sure nothing interfered. Got some 40x4mm steel off a fabby mate of mine which he cut to length. Marked everything up, checked straightness, double checked, and tacked in.

IMG_1485.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Welder man

IMG_1488.jpg

Cut some angle to size which were to be welded to the floor to brace the rear overhanging part of the seat rails. Absolutely solid with these in.

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

Welded the seats fully and also the centre crutch strap eye bolt. I was going to have 2 eye bolts with them being 6 point harnesses, but there was an ideal looking hole already there in the original seat mounts so we used that instead, perfectly in the middle.

IMG_1502.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

And (molegripped) in :cool:

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

Love them!

And finally the usual 'current status' shot.

IMG_1505.jpg

Chris

Evo VII

Wow... awesome build... i'm new to the forum and thus your project... bloody fantastic job! The price parts and the even the cars themselves makes projects like your well attractive! A cheap 2003 ph2 is about AUD$13K (about 5K-ish pounds).

And are a pretty skilled operator too - what do you do for a living?

Striped and yet road legal you say?!?! The UK must have seriously flexible rego rules!

In Australia i almost had to pay a fine for not having the back seats in the car - that was all that i removed!

Cant wait to see this beasty on the track - i can trust that you will have plenty of pics when the time come :)

Golf TDI

Wow... awesome build... i'm new to the forum and thus your project... bloody fantastic job! The price parts and the even the cars themselves makes projects like your well attractive! A cheap 2003 ph2 is about AUD$13K (about 5K-ish pounds).

And are a pretty skilled operator too - what do you do for a living?

Striped and yet road legal you say?!?! The UK must have seriously flexible rego rules!

In Australia i almost had to pay a fine for not having the back seats in the car - that was all that i removed!

Cant wait to see this beasty on the track - i can trust that you will have plenty of pics when the time come :)

lol at nearly getting a fine for removing the rear seats :eek: cage is looking very solid :approve:

BMW M5 & E36

Cheers people :)

Got some paint tonight so will do the rest of my Williams wheels and make a start on tidying then inside up ready for paint.

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

great job lad, good progress as usual, looking forward to the next update!

BMW M5 & E36

Thanks mate.

Spent most of today (my 20th birthday! :star:) in the garage starting to prep for paint.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Loving the work dude.

Really really not looking forward to the cage bit of my car. So much so I may not even bother.

320d

Haven't realy been followin this thread however I will be from now on. This is a realy good project mate, when you hoping to get it on track then?

BMW M5 & E36

Loving the work dude.

Really really not looking forward to the cage bit of my car. So much so I may not even bother.

It was a fair amount of work, but 100% worth it IMO. Looks amazing too now with a bit of paint on.

Haven't realy been followin this thread however I will be from now on. This is a realy good project mate, when you hoping to get it on track then?

Cheers. First track outing will be Marham 19th April I believe. I want it on the road well before then though for to get some test miles on it.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT

Looking good mate. If I had the space and time I wud love to rebuild my MK1.

Lionel Richie

looks cool, but don't know if its just me, but the cage looks low at the front and over the head?

BMW M5 & E36

Looking good mate, good to meet you at the RR day too.

Chris.

Cheers bud, you too.

looks cool, but don't know if its just me, but the cage looks low at the front and over the head?

It's sat right up against the shell at the front of the roof so its about as high as it can go. It'd be nice if it hugged the A-pillars and roof a little better but I think it's pretty well in as it is :)

Sorry for lack of updates recently. Ive got some done but no pics.

Lionel Richie

just double check (bit late now) the cage in pinky was high up and i still smacked my head off it all the time (with helmet on)

BMW M5 & E36

Yeah I've had the seats all mounted and sat in and it is a bit tight. Seats can go down and inwards slightly if needs be too. Cage padding sorted as well.