ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

You are a seriously dedicated/talented guy.

Project is awesome! Checking it every day.

BMW M5 & E36

Great update mate. Makes me want to take mines further.

What colour is it going?

Thanks. The car itself? Staying 449 as it is.

looking loads better now its starting to be put back together :)

Aye getting there. Engine back in before too long, just need to get hold of a few more bits first.

this is such a bloody good read!!!
I officially love this thread!!

Ha, thanks.

You are a seriously dedicated/talented guy.

Project is awesome! Checking it every day.

Not all me, but thanks. Re the earlier comment, I cant say I 100% agree with everything you post on here, thats an opinion and were both entitled to them!

Great read. Top work, makes me want a valver again...

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

great thread, great progress so far, look forward to seeing it continue

BMW M5 & E36

Picked a few bits up on the way back from work today. 2 oil filters and sump plug washers, one for the Valver and one for my 182 which is due a change shortly too. We roughly measured the length of the alternator belt I needed on Saturday so I got one as close to that as possible, turns out it was too long though so I'll try and swap for the next size down tomorrow. Also got a can of cooling system flush for when its up and running, here's hoping!

IMG_1358.jpg

844 belt too long

IMG_1357.jpg

Filter on, yes I know I got the date wrong!

IMG_1355.jpg

Chris

ValverInBits

whats wrong with water for flushing the coolant system! you posh b*****d!

ValverInBits

When I had the thermostat housing off it was horrid, and I have a nice new clear header tank to go on so I want it clean lol.

head off, cams oot, tappets oot, valves oot, soak in cheap vinegar for 4 days, Rebuild with old parts and new stem seals.

Go-on! good fun and you know it:quiet:

TVR Cerbera

Wasn't sure if that valver engine has ever had antifreeze in it, there's a lot of brown sludge in that head!

BMW M5 & E36

836mm Alternator belt is PERFECT! Big enough to be able to get it on but small enough to get it tight with the limited amount of adjustment I have on the alternator mount. Thats one small step closer to the engine being back in and running!

AND, had an email from YB racing today to say that my rollcage arrived with them today, so they're going to get it out to me ASAP.

:)

TVR Cerbera

Bolts are on order from Renault for the wishbones, I'll pick them up Friday.

Anyone got a lower cambelt cover 77 00 854 945 kicking about?

I may have, from my 1.8 engine. Il have a look when I go to the factory in an hour...

Just spent 20 mins getting the b*****d bottom pulley off, i think i bent something internally on the valver engine, as the cambelt isnt on, when i turned the pulley bolt it hit a stop, think it was pistons on valves, LOL

Anyway, its the wrong part number :( Same as the one you already have

BMW M5 & E36

Booked today off work hoping that my cage would finally show up, no such luck :dapprove:.

Anyway, got a little bit done elsewhere. Anyone that's had the misfortune of having to remove Mk1 headlining adhesive will understand what a pain this stuff is. For the rest of you, it's a royal pain the arse! Took much longer than it looks as though it should have.

IMG_1361.jpg

Fluff on the inner arches, a pain again. I may have used the grinder a little bit :eek:

IMG_1362.jpg

Daylight for the first time in a long time!

IMG_1366.jpg

Made an attempt at degreasing the engine. 1 750ml bottle later and it doesnt look a great deal better, really is caked on.

IMG_1367.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

Gathered a bit of dust over the weeks. It got the dustpan and brush treatment after this pic

IMG_1377.jpg

Couple of randoms

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

Finally got round to removing the tar and sticky from the drivers side floor, looks much better and closer to being ready to accepting the cage, if it ever comes. Cleared all the rest of the junk out and removed any remaining clips and bits

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Also removed the spare wheel cage which Ive been meaning to do for a while.

Chris

182 Trophy (#27/500)

mint. yet more top work. pls let me know when this is drivable as i would love to be taken out in it!!! at last some serious competition for the trophy!!lol

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

getting there, ys the cage taking so long?

BMW M5 & E36

getting there, ys the cage taking so long?

Ordered in this country, order forwarded to OMP in Italy, cage made (slowly), sent to UK seller and UK seller (maybe) sending it onto me :dapprove:. Be 7 weeks on Monday, when I doubt anyone will be in to receive it anyway. Bah :(

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

Thats a wile hanlin, hopfully arrives soon.

Megane R26

Ordered in this country, order forwarded to OMP in Italy, cage made (slowly), sent to UK seller and UK seller (maybe) sending it onto me :dapprove:. Be 7 weeks on Monday, when I doubt anyone will be in to receive it anyway. Bah :(

Pull a sickie on monday then!! ;)

Audi TT 225 Quattro

excellent work mate:approve: seems you have got my old willy wheels, it was me who curbed that wheel, sorry:dapprove: although apart from that they were in a good condition when i sold them.. on the 1st few pages you were wondering if the car had been in an accidant, looks fine to me mate. some early valvers came with a solid crossmember so wouldnt worry to much about it:) no plans of fitting an f7r ?

BMW M5 & E36

excellent work mate:approve: seems you have got my old willy wheels, it was me who curbed that wheel, sorry:dapprove: although apart from that they were in a good condition when i sold them.. on the 1st few pages you were wondering if the car had been in an accidant, looks fine to me mate. some early valvers came with a solid crossmember so wouldnt worry to much about it:) no plans of fitting an f7r ?

Thanks mate :). If you sold them to a lad in Grimsby then that'll be them. Its turning into a bit of a mission trying to disguise that huge chunk missing!

I had a look on some of the dialogies about that front cross member and it just shows that the one-piece item was a 1.2/1.4 part, so I'm guessing it was just down to whatever Renault had in their parts bin at the time. Im happy its all good now :)

No F7r I dont think, see how the F7p manages and then re-assess.

Chris

Audi TT 225 Quattro

Thanks mate :). If you sold them to a lad in Grimsby then that'll be them. Its turning into a bit of a mission trying to disguise that huge chunk missing!

I had a look on some of the dialogies about that front cross member and it just shows that the one-piece item was a 1.2/1.4 part, so I'm guessing it was just down to whatever Renault had in their parts bin at the time. Im happy its all good now :)

No F7r I dont think, see how the F7p manages and then re-assess.

Chris

well i sold them to a fella in kent so he must of sold them on,was over a year ago tho.. i was quoted £60 to repair the lip back to new by lepsons in gillingham kent, as u can tell i decided not to get it done:eek:

my advice about the eng is do it right ,do it once. bin/sell the f7p, F7R ftw;) it does make a noticable difference tho mate quickest f7p stripped is 14.7, f7r stripped 13.8 on the qtr mile and thats based on both eng have just breathing mods:D i think i few f7r's are for sale over on williamsclio atm:)

TVR Cerbera

There's 13 bhp between a p and a r, 200cc and some torque, but i'll be suprised if it's a second!
My old valver, with just filter and zorst was doing 15.1.
Personally if Chris was to change the engine, it not worth putting a f7r in it, you may as well do it properly and put a f4r with mods in it.

im sure the torque is quite a bit different? or the delivery of it so to speak...

Ive had both, my F7P had valver manifold, my F7R had valver manifold first, then williams manifold... the F7P is gutless, feels like there is no power until you rev it had past 4/5k, constantly ragging to get anywhere...

The F7R is a miles different drive, power all the way through, ALOT more torque bottom end and it pulled like a train in mine, even more so with the williams manifold, dont have to rev the t*ts off it to get the thing to move....

The valver ive got now, Piper 270s + pullies, chipped and power steering removed, itg filter, I thought it may have a bit more poke than my standard valver did, but it dosent. you still have to rag the hell outta it to get it to move, past 5k its got a bit more power, but low down its a drag to drive....keeps up with williams's speed wise, but only because the limiter is past 8k, as soon as you go to change the williams pulls ahead...

but either way, ive had enough of them....F4R :)

Audi TT 225 Quattro

There's 13 bhp between a p and a r, 200cc and some torque, but i'll be suprised if it's a second!
My old valver, with just filter and zorst was doing 15.1.
Personally if Chris was to change the engine, it not worth putting a f7r in it, you may as well do it properly and put a f4r with mods in it.

them times are proven fella:D bish did 14.7 in his 850kg 1.816v ( std, arart from exh and filter) Martin 13.8 in his 850kg 2.0 16v ( same mods as bish )

i really dont see the reason in going f4r tho as the f7r is just as tuneable and a hell of alot less hassel to fit.

To put a F7P in it would be a waste after all the work you have put in

As above theres a world of difference between the 2 engines... F7R owns the F7P in almost every way... it is a much better base for tuning

F4R if you must... but anything but a F7P lol

Jord it keeps up with a slow williams ;)

BMW M5 & E36

Made a bit more progress last night, coming along well now.

Random picture confirming black Willy wheels and 449 work, IMO of course.

IMG_1396.jpg

Got some new Wishbone bolts from Renault and new nuts from work and got those bolted on. Cleaned up the support arm thing (proper name is?) to match my clean subframe too. Also got ARB mounted with Powerflex poly bushes and new clips/bolts/nuts all round again.

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

Set about fitting my shortshifter, so gear selector rod off and old gearstick out of the surround first of all.

IMG_1403.jpg

New stick fitted into the surround. I'm not using the shorter gearbox linkage at the moment, so I'll be running at the sort of in-between stage of the short shift.

IMG_1404.jpg

And fitted

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

Door cleaned out of sticky/tar glue

IMG_1408.jpg

Sunroof surround modified/lightened a bit, from 4kg down to just over 2 (standard with glass and electric mech is 10kg). I'm now going to be running this altered surround with a sheet of polycarbonate in place of the glass rather than the original plating idea. It looks neater for starters, and the sunroof frame keeps a lot of strength in the roof so it'll hopefully stop it flapping in the wind so much.

IMG_1409.jpg

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Bunged the aerial hole with a new arch liner clip

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1413.jpg

Having taken all the weight out of the car now, it was sitting incredibly high so we lowered the torsion bar on the back next. How it was before!

IMG_1419.jpg

Bars out and guessing at the height, perhaps a bit too low?!

IMG_1420.jpg

Decided on this, nice compromise

IMG_1423.jpg

Which made the front end point right up

IMG_1424.jpg

Front end lowered on the jack and a wheel placed roughly in place, looking better!

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Harnesses arrived today too, 6 point Sabelt's:

IMG_1432.jpg

Chris

nice, liking the rig up to see how the wheels look, and the archliner grommet, lol

TVR Cerbera

I must say the rear beam was a joy to work on, after doing several 205's, Chris' valver beam was easy

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS

Good work, like the sunroof idea.
Realy liking the height at the back now

182 Trophy (#27/500)

looks wicked, have u got a date to aim to be finished by??

BMW M5 & E36

looks wicked, have u got a date to aim to be finished by??

ASAP, but without rushing things! First trackday will more than likely be Marham at the end of March/start of April. Want to get plenty of road miles on it first though as I'm yet to properly drive a Mk1 at all. Hope it's good :eek:

M

mini-valver

Mint fella! Love all the new nuts/ bolts, which is slightly worrying :eek: