ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1994 172'd Mk1 Valver Track Car

BMW M5 & E36
Re: Valver Track Car Project Thread

Aye I love the seats, glad I spent a bit more and got what I did. Not the lightest I could have got, but I'm happy to trade a bit of weight loss for them. Just need the cage to turn up, get that welded in, interior painted and then I can get them mounted.

YB Racing = crap!

BMW M5 & E36

Slight update if you like, though a very poor one.

Hi,

The cage is now in stock with OMP so should be with us on Wednesday next week.

Many thanks

Brilliant, only been 6 weeks on Monday :dapprove:

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

they have to order them from omp in italy then they have to make them and send them out to you, it takes time having a cage for everycar would need a f**king big place to store them so you shoudl expect a little wait.
lucking il got mine second hand unused for half the price of a new one haha.

BMW M5 & E36

Got a nice long list scribbled onto the whiteboard in there earlier. Plenty to be doing!

BMW M5 & E36

More parts; ARB mounts this time. Brand new in Renault bags, cheers Nathan if you read.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg

Chris

ValverInBits

pics of whiteboard essential :)
Loving the thread whiteley.
Remember to paint those wheels black, realise they don't suit 449, then sell em to me :)

I've got a lil update, check my Facebook. Valver engine's coming out saturday and being picked up by ben linday monday. i've got no time work on the new purchase tho :(

BMW M5 & E36

Is Ben putting it in his mk2? Good work and very different if so!

The wheels are staying, Ive always liked dark wheels. Will maybe do another set silver but I dont really fancy white. £10 a refurb and it doesn't really matter anyway!

Will have a look at yours, get it sorted!

ValverInBits

Agree with you on the white there mate, Silver would be ideal IMO praps a gun-metal grey. Ben was going to put it in the MK2, and I wish he still would but now he says he has MK1 plans for it. oh well.

BMW M5 & E36

The spreadsheet is well out of date now Im afraid. Only basic strippage included!

BMW M5 & E36

Big progress today, very pleased. Thanks first of all to Daz and JB for the help, much appreciated Team!

I'll maybe type a few bits as we go, but ive got no end of pictures uploading so I'll try and let them explain.

THE whiteboard:

IMG_1241.jpg

Troops arrived

IMG_1242.jpg

Old (actually new) bushes out of the wishbones to make way for powerflex poly's

IMG_1243.jpg

Tweaking subframe slightly

IMG_1245.jpg

IMG_1246.jpg

Degreased and cleaned up subframe

IMG_1248.jpg

IMG_1249.jpg

Took the already cut out n/s door off and set about removing the heavy impact bars. Cut it in the middle, drill out spot welds both ends, unstick sticky stuff, done. 6kg each, easy weight!

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

And back on

IMG_1255.jpg

Exhaust off

IMG_1257.jpg

-JB- removing rear seat brackets. Spot welds drilled out again

IMG_1259.jpg

O/S door removed now and i set about stripping it down and cutting it out to match the other side i'd done previously. Me on the grinder again

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

Done

IMG_1264.jpg

Rear seat brackets gone

IMG_1265.jpg

Heater matrix out

IMG_1266.jpg

Steering column re-welded. Not the best of jobs by whoever did it previously

IMG_1269.jpg

Quickly growing rubbish pile

IMG_1270.jpg

Opie oils goodies

IMG_1271.jpg

Doorless O/S

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

Both door bars out now, 12kg between them!!

IMG_1286.jpg

New rod ends on willy rack

IMG_1287.jpg

Old cambelt off

IMG_1290.jpg

Alternator belt tensioner made

IMG_1291.jpg

New parts

IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Impact bar-less door

IMG_1295.jpg

Mess

IMG_1296.jpg

New belt on having checked and double checked timing

IMG_1297.jpg

Bible

IMG_1298.jpg

Possibly the most expensive tensioning stick ever!? Haynes quoted something like 22lb should see 3mm of movement in the belt, so we worked that out to be almost 10kg and made something up to suit. Improvisation at its finest. £14 litre of gearbox oil and £36 of engine oil mated to a door bar, mintage!

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

Rather pleased with the creation

IMG_1301.jpg

IMG_1302.jpg

Williams steering rack on

IMG_1303.jpg

Powerflex poly bushes

IMG_1304.jpg

Outer sleeves tacked onto the subframe to prevent them turning

IMG_1307.jpg

Door back on

IMG_1309.jpg

Low temp fan switch on

IMG_1310.jpg

Grotty old thermostat out, need a new seal before the new low temp one goes in

IMG_1312.jpg

Wishbones done

IMG_1313.jpg

New rod end again

IMG_1314.jpg

They fit

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

Powerlex inner ARB bushes put in with new clamps. What a ball ache they were! Hammerite kurust on the subframe too in preparation for some touchup paint

IMG_1318.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

Loop pipe swapped over from the valver rack

IMG_1319.jpg

And that was todays work :D

Chris

Last edited:
  clio 1.6 16v

Nice project, but be carefull, that's not the original gearbox fluid, i don't know what's the information you got mate, but i know many guys who crashed gearbox's because they thought the only thing that mathered was the viscosity level's.
I think that's the competition one from motul, but that can be incompatible with the sincronizers, make sure of that.;)
Good luck on the rest of the work.:D

M

mini-valver

Good update fella! Love the doors, really tempted to do mine but it's *just* returnable top standard or a state that I can make it sellable, lol.

Subframe looks good too, bushes much of a slut to get out??

BMW M5 & E36

Good update fella! Love the doors, really tempted to do mine but it's *just* returnable top standard or a state that I can make it sellable, lol.

Subframe looks good too, bushes much of a slut to get out??

Yours sellable? Never! I want to get hold of some edge trimming type stuff to make it look a little neater, but I dont think they look too bad as they are. Just got to sort the door pulls as I obviously have no handles now.

Standard new bushes came out easy enough with a hammer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

OK, you make sure of that next time you change yours then, I'll be fine.

Wicked thread, and you are clearly a very talented guy.

But that was a proper nobby thing to say.

ValverInBits

FFS it's only a valver gearbox, it'll be fine on that oil. and even if it isnt, a valver gearbox is all of £50 or 80quid these days.
The GBox oil will be fine.

I Great progress whiteley. Also interested to know about the wishbone bushes, eveyone else seems to resort to either breaking tools or taking them to be pressed. How bad were they?
oh and
whiteley said:
Outer sleeves tacked onto the subframe to prevent them turning
You mean tacked to wishbones right? and why did you decide to do that? never seen it done before.
All tooks tip top mate :)

BMW M5 & E36

FFS it's only a valver gearbox, it'll be fine on that oil. and even if it isnt, a valver gearbox is all of £50 or 80quid these days.
The GBox oil will be fine.

I Great progress whiteley. Also interested to know about the wishbone bushes, eveyone else seems to resort to either breaking tools or taking them to be pressed. How bad were they?
oh and

You mean tacked to wishbones right? and why did you decide to do that? never seen it done before.
All tooks tip top mate :)

Cheers Mark. Sorry, wishbones yep, it was late last night!

The 2 wishbones I have are actually different makes; 1 pair of outer sleeves were a fairly loose fit and the other took a bit more effort. Welding them keeps all the movement in the bolt/inner sleeve rather than that staying still and the whole bush rotating in the wishbone. I've read it in several places, cant think where off the top of my head though.

Getting the old(new) ones out was easy. Support around the bush underneath and hammer out.

Rb 182

Great update mate. Makes me want to take mines further.

What colour is it going?

BMW M5 & E36

Got a little more done today. Having treated any rusty parts of the subframe last night i painted it today. I originally planned on just touching up certain areas with hammerite, but that looked crap so I painted it all!

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1322.jpg

Got hold of a thermostat seal today and replaced that and bolted the housing back on

IMG_1325.jpg

Lick of hammerite on the steering arms while I had it out too

IMG_1326.jpg

Painted the tops of the struts that I missed when doing the engine bay previously

IMG_1327.jpg

182 missing the attention!

IMG_1328.jpg

Lower cambelt that I was given doesnt fit, need to try and find another one

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

Waited a while for the subframe to dry, then bolted that back on

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1341.jpg

IMG_1342.jpg

IMG_1343.jpg

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

:)

Megane R26

looking loads better now its starting to be put back together :)

182 Trophy (#27/500)

this is such a bloody good read!!!
I officially love this thread!!