ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1k to spend???

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
Looks like I have my e46 325 sold so with the proceeds I was set to just go but a set of cams but ive been thinking am I better of spending the money elsewhere first and go for cams further down the line.

My current spec is,

BC coilovers
full suspension refresh(new wishbones/balljoints/track rods etc etc)
brembo hc's and yellowstuff pads
braided lines
vibra technics engine mounts
powerflex dogbone mount
Ktec supersport cat back
Yokohama ado8's on clio williams rims

Im thinking with 1k approx I could get,

Whiteline ARB
New steering wheel (sabelt RS maybe)
powerflex polybushes all round
de-cat
induction kit
Wheel spacers

Anything else I could be getting aswell or instead of what I mentioned? Just looking for a good all round car that's used as a daily with a few track days thrown in.

If i had 1k i'd spend it on maintenance/full mechanical look over etc so you know the car is at best it can be mechanically disregarding mod's. But looking at what you've done at the mo i'd save the 1k for a quicker car or save up more and go cam's, RS2 or ITB's.

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
If i had 1k i'd spend it on maintenance/full mechanical look over etc so you know the car is at best it can be mechanically disregarding mod's. But looking at what you've done at the mo i'd save the 1k for a quicker car or save up more and go cam's, RS2 or ITB's.

Cheers mate..Above is only part of what I've done since I bought it..I replaced a lot of parts with all brand new oem parts.All worn suspension parts were replaced,brand new rear discs etc etc.

Ive had subaru's,Evo's,M3's etc in the past so Im not really interested in selling up and buying a 'fast' car as I love the Clio..Its as fun as any car ive had.Saying that I don't think im prepared to plough 3-4k into getting itb's but cams will be going in either sooner or later.Im just caught in two minds as id like to get other parts too :)

Really want a new steering wheel and ARB..

Its hard to know as some people say cams are worth it and others don't.Im thinking there are still pleanty of mods I can do to improve handling.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You're just shy of an rs2 mani there. Why not wait until some recaros come up you'll then have change for some other tasty mods

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Whatever u spend on trendlines is like money in the bank IMO you can cash them in whenever..

LY FF182
About £700 isn't it?

If i were you with the spec you've already posted, I'd be getting everything polybushed, RARB, small steering wheel (personally don't like the sabelt one), then get an RS2 inlet with 197 cams set up by the guy on here who does it well (Mike at MWM???)

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
About £700 isn't it?

If i were you with the spec you've already posted, I'd be getting everything polybushed, RARB, small steering wheel (personally don't like the sabelt one), then get an RS2 inlet with 197 cams set up by the guy on here who does it well (Mike at MWM???)

Only problem is im in Ireland..There isn't a huge base for tuning them over here.More jap stuff.Im waiting on a call back from a mapper who does mainly VAG stuff but I reckon he might be able to map mine if I do get the cams.Was looking at Renflash from ktec but I was put off that idea.

LY FF182
In that case dont bother with tuning if you don't have people to help.. Order an RS tuner and load the 98ron map (everyone does it them selves so must be easy) then only run it on 98/99ron fuel. Spend the rest of the money on mechanical maintenance so it will never let you down

Clio 172
In that case dont bother with tuning if you don't have people to help.. Order an RS tuner and load the 98ron map (everyone does it them selves so must be easy) then only run it on 98/99ron fuel. Spend the rest of the money on mechanical maintenance so it will never let you down

Only have the 95ron petrol here in the south of Ireland so rs tuner no good. Rs clios are rare enough over this side of the water. Parts are like hens teeth here.

Clio 172 cup + 325ci

I don't know a whole lot about the RS tuner but am I right in saying I could pick one up second hand that has the 98 ron map and just then plug it into my car and away you go? If I was decated and had say an induction kit would that map still apply or is it just for bog standard cars?

Clio 172
Maxol e5 is 98-99 Ron :)

not according to the mapping session on my 409bhp impreza. Even with an added quantity of nf octane booster which is proven and maxol e5 I never got anywhere near 98/99 Ron with both of these. English base 98 Ron map was loaded and still had to r****d timing on the impreza simtek mapping session.

mckay

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph2 Iceburg 172
Just sell it and buy Barts mini, job done :p
Seriously I'd only get cams if you were due a belt as the gains are minimal giving the cost factor.
New wheel and rarb are a must and maybe a set of proper seats.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Cams aren't great on this engine, much better and cheaper to get the Rs2, best place for treadlines is in fact teh breakers, I got mine from West drayton Salvage for £150 pair, they are a DVLA recycler? if that even a word and get all sorts of lux goodies in, there will be one near Belfast surely, call them and register and take the drive, recaros are not as rare as made out to be on Clios but by far the best investment you'll make along with Turinis.

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
not according to the mapping session on my 409bhp impreza. Even with an added quantity of nf octane booster which is proven and maxol e5 I never got anywhere near 98/99 Ron with both of these. English base 98 Ron map was loaded and still had to r****d timing on the impreza simtek mapping session.

Unusual..I had 3 imprezas mapped and a golf gti on e5 and never had issues.was always told to use it by the mappers..Even the maxol website states its 99?

Clio 172
Unusual..I had 3 imprezas mapped and a golf gti on e5 and never had issues.was always told to use it by the mappers..Even the maxol website states its 99?

at very best its rated on isdc at 97ron for some people. Even tho maxol rated it as 99ron on there website, it was tested and compared to uk 99 Ron petrol and was miles apart. Different mods affect different specced cars I suppose. Add in the fact there's only 2 maxol garages north side of Dublin ( baldoyle and navan rd) it was always an issue to go fill up with the e5 for most of us. Anyway congrats on the car sale. Think it was an imola red BMW from memory ? I bet you'll miss it , it looked very nice .

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
at very best its rated on isdc at 97ron for some people. Even tho maxol rated it as 99ron on there website, it was tested and compared to uk 99 Ron petrol and was miles apart. Different mods affect different specced cars I suppose. Add in the fact there's only 2 maxol garages north side of Dublin ( baldoyle and navan rd) it was always an issue to go fill up with the e5 for most of us. Anyway congrats on the car sale. Think it was an imola red BMW from memory ? I bet you'll miss it , it looked very nice .

Cheers man.Yeah it was the imola one.Nice car.I might email henk fastchip and see what he thinks.

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
I emailed henk and he said the rs tuner is set up for 97Ron minimum so i just ordered one and the pure motorsport solid top mount and strut brace kit.Have a load more stuff to order tomorrow :)

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
Put the money in the bank for when something breaks or wears out or spend it on trackdays or something else. Spending it on Clio is total and utter waste of money in my opinion. They are great little cars as standard.

Clio 172
I emailed henk and he said the rs tuner is set up for 97Ron minimum so i just ordered one and the pure motorsport solid top mount and strut brace kit.Have a load more stuff to order tomorrow :)

Brilliant stuff. Nice choice of mods you have chosen there. Should make a difference alright. I'm curious to see how you get on now with the rs tuner. If i had a maxol near me id be half tempted to get one myself. Will you keep me informed ?

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
Put the money in the bank for when something breaks or wears out or spend it on trackdays or something else. Spending it on Clio is total and utter waste of money in my opinion. They are great little cars as standard.

I had it standard and yes they are great cars but they can be vastly improved too imo..I have money already put aside for trackdays and repairing the car if needs be.

If we all took your advice this site wouldnt exist :)

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
Brilliant stuff. Nice choice of mods you have chosen there. Should make a difference alright. I'm curious to see how you get on now with the rs tuner. If i had a maxol near me id be half tempted to get one myself. Will you keep me informed ?

I will indeed.Im lucky enough to have two maxols within 5-10 mins away.Baldoyle and Artane.Also ordered a sabelt RS steering wheel today.More to come tomorrow

Clio 172
They closed the only maxol garage that was half near to me a couple of years back. Still has all the signage and pumps there. Hopefully somebody decides to open it back up again. Sabelt wheel looks deadly. Gives the all important look to the interior imho. Keep us posted on how thing progress.