ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

-2 degree rear shims too much?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I bought these ages ago and will be fitting them in the coming week.

Now I know suspension is all about prefernce but thoughts would be appreciated.

The car is solely used on track other than driving to and from. I have just fitted Spax track day kit and Pure top mounts. Eibach camber bolts are on order and I'm thinking around -2.5 for the fronts.

Are -2 rear shims too much or should they work well on track?

53 Clio's & counting
Not had my new 172 on track yet, but mine is shimmed -2 at the back and the previous owner seemed to enjoy it :)

But as you say it is a personal preference, id give it a go, if you don't like it then change :)

RS Clio 200
its not so much a case of is it too much.... its more a case of are you going to push it hard enough to make use of it. in theory you are going to lose rear end grip below the threshold where the car leans enough to make use of the extra angle

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Not had my new 172 on track yet, but mine is shimmed -2 at the back and the previous owner seemed to enjoy it :)

But as you say it is a personal preference, id give it a go, if you don't like it then change :)
How does it feel n the road Russ?

its not so much a case of is it too much.... its more a case of are you going to push it hard enough to make use of it. in theory you are going to lose rear end grip below the threshold where the car leans enough to make use of the extra angle
I have no idea how good a driver I am however at my last track day, both me and Doncaster_K9 in his VTS were pushing hard and passing the majority of equivalent cars so I'd say I'd give it a good go getting the most from them.

Johnpacey1

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Len, go have your car aligned first to see what camber it's already running. It may be that you need 2 different sized shims to get -2 degrees.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They vary a lot as standard, get it measured to see what it is to begin with, then decide on what shims to use from there, rather than just fit them and hope.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Len, go have your car aligned first to see what camber it's already running. It may be that you need 2 different sized shims to get -2 degrees.

They vary a lot as standard, get it measured to see what it is to begin with, then decide on what shims to use from there, rather than just fit them and hope.
Thanks Gents. I'll do that once I've had it MOT'd to ensure the bearings are in good order.