ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2 new 205/45 V michelins ordered!

BMW 330d :)
Just got off the phone to mytyres and two michelin pilot exalto 2's in the above size for £145.70. That includes delivery.... Or £72.85 per tyre.... Not bad eh ;)

The only issue is that Ive got two new 195's contis on the front. Should I put the wider 205's on the front or put them on the back? The main reason I went for 205's was increased traction. Would it not be a bit hairy in the wet with narrower tyres at the back?

Cheers

Fraser

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
So if its your back tyres that need changing , as you've just bought 2 new michelins , leave the contis on the front , put the michelins on the back , job done :)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Be careful mixing tyre sizes - cars like an MR2 are designed to have different widths - wider at the back etc. from the factory.

Clios aren't.

I'm not saying it'll f*** up the handling or anything, but lets say you have a "moment" and collide with a kerb/end up in a ditch.

The first thing the insurance company is going to say is that you've beeen screwing around and were running non-standard non-matched tyre sizes - and I seriously doubt they'd pay out.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If I were you I'd get that in writing.

Some call-centre monkey told you it was fine.

The insurance assessor on the other hand, having spotted different sized tyres front and rear, will contact Renault to find out if in their opinion the vehicle was safe.

Renault will respond with "It's sold with either 4x 195's or 4x 205's. It's not designed to run different sizes over the two axles.".

The insurance assessor will determine that your decision to mix the tyre widths front and rear outside of the manufacturers specification caused an imbalance in grip, and therefore contributed to the "incident".

Bingo! Instant get out clause for ANY insurance company.

This is all in my opinion of course, but if I were you, I'd really check to see if you are still covered and not take the phone call as gospel.

Any insurance people care to comment? I'm curious now...

Hmmm well i'll just take it easy. Its probably best to have the narrower tyres at the front. Less chance of wrapping it round a lampost.

Cheers for the thoughts though...

Ford Mustang 5.0
We insure a number of cars with larger wheels fitted (ie Clio 172 fitted with 17 inch alloys and therefore bigger tyres) and not had any problems when claiming.

If you diclose the modifications (bigger wheels/tyres) to your insurer then you shouldn't experience any problems when putting in a claim.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
Neil
greenlight

Arctic Blue 182
Frasers Cup said:
Just got off the phone to mytyres and two michelin pilot exalto 2's in the above size for £145.70. That includes delivery.... Or £72.85 per tyre.... Not bad eh ;)

The only issue is that Ive got two new 195's contis on the front. Should I put the wider 205's on the front or put them on the back? The main reason I went for 205's was increased traction. Would it not be a bit hairy in the wet with narrower tyres at the back?

Cheers

Fraser

Hi mate.

How come you got them for that price? They say £75.40 on the site. I need to order 4. my front ones need changing and I've picked up a piece of metal in one of the back ones, and it's going down slowly!!

Did you bargain with them or something?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Faz182 said:
Hi mate.

How come you got them for that price? They say £75.40 on the site. I need to order 4. my front ones need changing and I've picked up a piece of metal in one of the back ones, and it's going down slowly!!

Did you bargain with them or something?

Cliosport Members Discount................

cost you a £5 to join.

My tyres should be with me on thurs. When you phone them see if they will give you some extra sort of discount as you are ordering a full set of four from them. 5%+ would be nice. I got 3% i think with the cliosport discount.