ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

200 Cup Owners - Spec help needed

RS Audi, 911, VW Bug
Hi All

-help needed... I'm trying to spec a new Clio Cup and would appreciate some educated /real life experience ... do's / don'ts ?? I'm looking at the 'full fat' version but with the Cup option..

ie.
- are the Recaros really worth the extra dosh?
- what other options have people ticked (or not ticked and wished they had) ??

All thoughts appreciated, as I need to make a decision this weekend... even the colour choice is confusing me :S

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
Recaros are worth it although they wear easy on the bolster, other options are entirely upto you, speed lines and cup spoiler seem the popular choice. Which colour/s are you thinking of?

Tbh, having had a 197 cup for 2.5 years if I was buying again I would buy a no options 200 none cup. For road use it's the best setup.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Full Fat - ( NOT CUP)

Trust me when I say you want the following:

Recaros
Cup Pack Chassis
Some form of Spoiler- Cup or GT spoiler
&
On most colours Speedlines--- Even if you dont like them spec them anyway - you will be able to sell them for more than the net difference-

Colour NOT to get- Albi blue- its being discontinued & not popular at all-

Most popular is white- & this will generally be the cheapest
If you can afford it then this is the heads up winner

Storm Grey- Full Fat 200
Cup Spoiler, Recaros- ( With stitched leather trim), Speedlines, Cup Chassis-

Job done-

Montior pack- up to you

Steve

Hi mate,

I've got a 200 with the cup chassis.

I ticked most, if not all boxes when I ordered mine. Theres not one really that i regret ticking, maybe the RS monitor if i had to choose one. Only because I cant upgrade the stereo, as I would loose the monitor. But apart from that, Renault's choice of options are pretty decent IMO.

Pic whoring -

5431376056_8bc19687a2_z.jpg

You need a cup spoiler tbh. Finishes off the rear end nicely.

Thats the only option I have on mine. I have a Cup model though, so already have the suspension. I personally wasnt fussed about the Recaros, even if they do look awesome.

5513173376_e4269f7644_z.jpg

IMG_0343 by Harpham y0, on Flickr

Dont get Racing Blue though. Too many of those about ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Aye i had a good scout around that at Silverstone myself, so so eye catching

With regard to the Recaros, not ticking that option is insane as the Recaros are well over £3600 from Renault..

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I wonder how far off that colour is to the Meggy 250 in that colour

S

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
That is p**n Steve tbh, the coded spoiler end caps look much better than the normal black ones

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a 200 cup and If I was ordereing again, I wouldn't have a cup. Or the cup chassis on the normal one. Its just too hard for road use.

I'd still have my storm grey and black speedlines but I wouldn't want to be replacing my teeth ever other week. Fcuking thing.

260% JCW
Anyone colour coded the front bit they missed yet? That would be one of my 1st mods, or at least see what it looks like.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
^ I think you're right... That is p**n. I can remember drooling over that at the World Series.

Yes KArl quoted me £2273 Each off the shelf the other day- so a tad under 5k with VAT

They retail second hand about 1k

S

Nissan 350z
Anyone colour coded the front bit they missed yet? That would be one of my 1st mods, or at least see what it looks like.

If you spec Black then technically its colour coded already. Theres some pictures of some Black 200s in the media section and to be honest its not all that well hidden even when its the same colour, you still have the obvious lines that remind you theres something there.

Clio 200 Cup
I guess most of what Im about to say only applies if you are still considering a Cup. I picked up a Cup in November last year. Totally standard apart from black speedlines. I have a couple of regrets:

Spec the thicker steering wheel. I got the standard one and it's a little too thin in my opinion. I prefer to grip something nice and thick when I'm pushing hard!

Speedlines are nice - just make sure you get matching center caps! The black center cap man must have been on strike or fixing his beret when they built my car and I ended up with silver center caps fitted to satin black speedlines. Gash.

Also, oddly, I'd spec the electric wing mirrors if possible. If not you get those little joy-stick things and no exterior temperature display. I miss having electric wing mirrors for parking next to curbs.

:)

Speedlines are nice - just make sure you get matching center caps! The black center cap man must have been on strike or fixing his beret when they built my car and I ended up with silver center caps fitted to satin black speedlines. Gash.

All black speedlines come with the grey center caps. They are even like that in the brochure. The black ones actually come from the Megane, RUK sorted me out with a set FOC (£25 a corner).

RS Audi, 911, VW Bug
Thanks all, that has really helped, -seriously.

Steve - you mention that a spoiler is needed -I'm not keen on the look but are you saying one is needed ?

One comment that kinda 'worries' me is whether I will find the Cup chassis too harsh.... or am I being a bit soft ?! :D

- also, I like the painted calipers which come with the Cup option :eek:

Currently thinking Storm Grey, Nimbus, or Glacier White

I'm going to digest all comments... thanks again,

Steve Mortimer

Westy. MX5
If it's staying on the road,then a non Cup with as many options you can afford. If you are a track day ***** then a Cup with no extras, I would remove some of the standard gizmos to make it more track focused.

Cornering light option is a must IMO, purely for the projector lense so you can whack an HID kit in there.

My current spec is: Recaros, Cup suspension, Cornering lights, Cup spoiler. If I'd have bought it new I'd have spec'd Speedlines too as for £150 you'd be mental not to.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Cornering light option is a must IMO, purely for the projector lense so you can whack an HID kit in there.

My current spec is: Recaros, Cup suspension, Cornering lights, Cup spoiler. If I'd have bought it new I'd have spec'd Speedlines too as for £150 you'd be mental not to.

This is the perfect spec. If not for re-sale then atleast dude points.

clio 200 /08 subaru
the 200 is a great wee car ,recaros are the best option and are covered for 3 years against wear .i have just had a new drivers seat under warranty also gearstick gaiter which had split .getting my alloy wheels refurbed also as corrossion has started to show on the corners of the spokes.
i do not clean my alloys with any acid cleaners as the car is washed at least 2 times a week .
the cup suspension is well worth the money ,it can be a little harsh over bumps but the turn in is excellent .front end grip cant be beat. i set up scoobies with whiteline suspension and i can say that on b roads the clio wins hands down .
some of the other options are not for me personaly but the recaros and cup pack are defo top class
geo
DSCF3240.jpg

DSCF3240.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Thanks all, that has really helped, -seriously.

Steve - you mention that a spoiler is needed -I'm not keen on the look but are you saying one is needed ?

One comment that kinda 'worries' me is whether I will find the Cup chassis too harsh.... or am I being a bit soft ?! :D

- also, I like the painted calipers which come with the Cup option :eek:

Currently thinking Storm Grey, Nimbus, or Glacier White

I'm going to digest all comments... thanks again,

Steve Mortimer

You NEED to drive a cup/cup chassi'd car before you order. And not just around the block, I mean a proper long drive and make sure you include a motorway.

My cup is our family car (don't ask!) and we've taken it on holiday once and never again. It is rediculously choppy on the motorway and fast A/B roads are just a joke.

IMO, its fine as a toy (which is what I use it for, but for my wife and the kids its a daily) but as a daily driver for anyone, its too hard.

It is however fcuking IMMENSE on track. :D

And before anyone starts calling me an old C*nt, I have a road legal track car on coilovers and an Impreza on coilovers and neither are as bad as the 200.

What he says ^

IMO, the cup chassis is far too stiff for daily roads, When I test drove both the cup was more of a handful as it bounced so much and was less stable than the non cup.

RS Audi, 911, VW Bug
I did take a cup chassis for a test drive, but it wasn't particularly long and mainly town & country roads -so only a few bursts of acceleration. No experience of prolonged speed on A road / motorway. Hmm, maybe I should arrange another test drive... and one in a non-cup too..

Q. are the Speedlines significantly lighter then ??

cheers all

Defo get a better test drive. And don't be scared to cane it either.

The cup I test drove had 16 miles on the clock and I had the shift beep going away from the lights. Sales man was not impressed, he even told my dad he should think twice about letting me have the car FLOL.

AG 200
I have a AG200 with the optional Cup chassis , one of my best friends has recently purchased an AB 200 non cup. A few weeks ago we took both cars (with the Mrs(s)) for a bit of a Jaunt to whitby from Leeds, we decided to go over the tops and sample a few of the stunning roads and scenery. We had a little play here and there , I can honestly say that there was absolutely no way on this earth that I could keep up with him on those surfaces. The cup chassis is exceptional and I mean EXCEPTIONAL when the roads are good and/or on track. If the roads are not perfect then the car is a real handful, the steering goes light/normal/light/normal with every single bump in the road. I found myself having to try dodge every pothole/bump on the straights , if I didn't the car felt like it was about to disintegrate.
No doubt some will say its the driver , so we swapped on the way back . His car was like silk over the bumps , hardly any teeth jarring moment throughout. A few miles down the road I pulled over and waited......he got out and said he couldn't cope with it , the ride on those roads was ridiculous.
Sure I could have pushed it , broken the suspension , buckled an alloy , killed a sheep and then gone on a website saying how the cup chassis cant be caught in the 'twisties':eek: but the fact is that unless the roads are smooth then youve got no chance as the ride is extremely harsh. I had a 197 non cup for 2 years and the 200 with cup chassis for almost 2 years , both chassis are superb in their own right but you must decide what you feel the majority of the driving will be done on.

On the local rat run near my house the car is superb, the grip is outstanding , I can chuck it into roundabouts and the car defies physics. Try going around a bend on road full of potholes and bumps and expect to call the dentist.
If I was to order again I would go for the cup chassis though , mainly because 95% of the time the roads are fine. If I had a small child and it was my daily drive then I would probably spec the non cup , they are both just as capable( if been driven by average Joe) and the latter wont mean that the baby started like with a deformed spine..........I do love my car though!!!
After the little whitby trip
13394389.gif

bit cleaner
4709bdc4.gif

f0b05949.gif

14e0a91f.gif

cefc3644.gif

Last edited: