ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 CLIO 172 Vs 1998 GOLF VR6

Iceberg 172
i went up against a vr6 with a rolling start and there was nothing in it. Went up to 120 (private road....) and it felt like i was gaining but was very minimal. Cant be sure if it was 2.8 or 3.2 though, it was a 4 door?

had a tango with one of these in my 172 ff

this was from a rolling start and i gained on him very easily and very quickly..

i had to back off pumpin the throttle or i was gona hit his rear...
crappy vr6s.. go home.

In which case... he was not trying as hard as you. And 'pumpin' the throttle... were you kangarooring in to his arse????

Had a VR6, they are quick, handle average, but have buckets of torque. No way it can keep up with a 182 on the twisties though!!!

They are solid and well built and a supercharger is readily avaliable!!!

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
had a tango with one of these in my 172 ff

this was from a rolling start and i gained on him very easily and very quickly..

i had to back off pumpin the throttle or i was gona hit his rear...
crappy vr6s.. go home.

In which case... he was not trying as hard as you. And 'pumpin' the throttle... were you kangarooring in to his arse????

Had a VR6, they are quick, handle average, but have buckets of torque. No way it can keep up with a 182 on the twisties though!!!

They are solid and well built and a supercharger is readily avaliable!!!

1. Either the vr6 is slower or he was a crap driver. i dont know nor do i care, fact was he was definately driving it hard... after all he over took me in the most dodgiest of places.

2. Yes i was on his tail.

3. yep they are crap round a bend

a vr6 is heavy
ul probly have him for breakfast off the line. . .
however i posted a vid last month i think of a tdi making a 172 look like a snail, but that was super chipped. . .

Lux'd Glacier White R26
I've had a dabble against a 98 VR6 from the lights, didn't think nothing of it until he started creeping forward slowly as if to get a good start; thankfully i got the better start and off we went, full beans, it appeared that i stayed in gears longer, and i kept creeping away from him. Didn't muller him by any stretch of the imagination, but he would never of won, purely because my reaction was better... I think a 172/182 would edge it, but not by much...

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Straight line, nothing in it, he only has about 20bhp on you stock, and it's old, and it weighs a LOT. Corners you'd make him cry with the realisation of how bad a Mk3 Golf, combined with a big heavy engine in the front, handles :)

Dan

Camel
I have raced a few mates in VR6's on the road and on the quater mile, the 172 will be ahead of the VR untill 100 ish then say goodbye the the VR. In a rolling start the VR will pull away from the 172 but not by much you have to thrash the guts out of the 172 but the VR's just go....You will have a good bit of banter though

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I raced an imported VR6 (german) in my 172 FF the 172 had the golf upto about 110 then the VR6 started to make a comeback fortunately it was time to start slowing down again so he never got infront!!

Tungy
I went up against one at pod and beat him by about a millitrilli second. But after about 80 he was closing the gap and about to overtake me.

Swift Sport
I had a 172, and a mate with a VR6 and we raced... and I won! It was close but it was all over for the VW when we got to a bend!!! :)

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
im in a 172 cup 03 and i can easily pull away from my sisters 97 vr6, mines stock hers has full zorst. and the cup just carries on pulling away with an indicated 140+mph b4 i back off and let her catch up

theres a big diff i feel in the 172 cup over the 172 ff

which one has he got