ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2002 clio sport 172 ff Starting problems....!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Right chaps
The car has started miss behaving, Car drove fine parked it up. Then went out in the morning to move it and nothing. E.g. All usual lights on dash but fuel pump did not prime. Turned key to crank engine and nothing.
Opened bonnet tried again nothing but a high pitch whine from throttle body, So thought that might be bust, Bought new one fitted it and still nothing.
Then pulled fuse box apart, checked all fuses and relays all seem fine, opened up wiring loom to check earths and for damaged wires. Still nothing and nothing showing any signs of damage.
Went back into car and checked fuses plus plugs and connection into the black box (UHC…?).
Tried again, engine now turned over but still no go.
Followed all the loom back to all visible connections to TDC sensor ( new ) coil pack, injectors and all others.
Turned over but still no go…
Went back into car check loom going in Black box again.
Turned key pumps primed car started.
But Throttle Body is singing (high frequency whine) and once engine stopped TB clicks.
Is this right, and do you think there’s a dodgy connection somewhere or something else.
Any advice before I dig deeper.
Cheers Si
P.S. Tried both keys same result to.
Click -
th_MVI_0632.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Mine was doing this a while back. REALLY got on my tits too!

Give the starter motor a whack? OR simply rock the car then try it

If that works then get a new starter motor fitted or yours recondidtioned :)

Golf GTD Mk7
TB tends to make a whining noise when you've got ignition on, it also clicks (not sure why). Unless it's constant i'd not worry about it.

Right, The more I look into this the more I think its a wiring fault or UCH issue.

Can I unplug the UCH to check connections and wiring without causing any other issues...?

Si

PH1 172
It may sound silly, but try wiggling the positive cable on the battery or even cleaning the terminals. I say this because I changed my battery once and after doing so my car would just sit there turning over. As I was checking the connections on the battery and moved the wire I heard a faint click some where in the engine bay (haven't a clue where) and thought what the heck I will try again and it started straight away.....

Right guys after pulling the whole car apart its running again, Removed and checked all engine wiring and all fuse conection within the engine bay. then removed the in car fuse box and removed UCH checked all wiring then pulled thye UCH apart. Board was covered in dust and muck, Cleaned board check for damage all looked good. plugged it all in again and starts first time now.

Only thing now is battery and stop light come on at idle. but go out when revs increase, So got to check alternator next, maybe the regulaters gone causing the original problem.

But a least I can drive the car now.

Si

Well the alternator is on its way out. Still charging just but is shorting out somewhere within itself. And it stinks....! So spare ordered also new Aux belt and tensioner kit.

Cars already in bits,they should be here on Monday. I'll post some pics when the parts arrive.

Does not look to bad a job to remove and replace, any tips...?

Bumper grill and slam panel removed already so access looks ok.

I'll keep you posted.

Si

Last edited: