ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2014 F1 V6 Turbo Engines

Abarth 500 Esseesse
I think it's that time we'll start seeing and hearing more about these new "Power Units".

Some of you will have heard the clip of Renault's effort recently, (on a test bench) which they claim they weren't giving it beans.

Below is a dyno sound clip of Merc's with a mock up of the Monza circuit. I can't make my mind up whether I hate the sound or if I'll just put up with it. I'm still in the "Bring back the V10s camp" and while the current V8s are nothing compared to the V10s, they're still bloody impressive when you're at the circuit.

I suppose if these still make ears bleed when they fly past and crackle on downshifts, and I'm guessing they're still going to be loud, then I won't mind too much.

600HP, ERS replacing KERS giving double the boost (160HP) and more torque, prompting Pirelli to want to make the rear tyres wider, should at least keep things exciting...

Last edited by a moderator:
  Leon Cupra 300
All just seems a bit naff to me.. 600/700 hp for F1 is lame IMO. Specially with what road cars make these days.

Should have regulations (turbo or not - not arsed) where 1000hp is just about atainable in qualifying trim.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Until the first test nothing you see or hear will be 100% genuine anyway. No engine manufacture is going to risk revealing anything.

Of course, and we're obviously not going to get totally accurate idea until they're in the cars and doing laps of a track.

I'm just highly intrigued!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Obviously, Specs are pretty secret, but is there anywhere I can learn the specs of previous F1 engine such as the F2002 V10?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Excuse my ignorance, but why are they shifting down to V6s?

The FIA has announced the intention to change the 2.4-litre V8 engines to 1.6 litre V6 turbo engines including energy recovery systems [SUP][16][/SUP] and containing fuel flow restrictions, in order to make Formula One more environmentally aware and to attract more commercial partners for 2014. The engines would also be limited to 15,000 rpm. In addition to the current suppliers, a new company, Propulsion Universelle et Récupération d'Énergie (PURE), has been founded to produce the 2014-specification engines, in the ex Toyota F1 base in Cologne.[SUP][17][/SUP] The new formula is set to reintroduce turbocharged engines, which last appeared in 1988, have their efficiency improved by turbo-compounding and introduce more energy recovery systems – with power to be harvested from the brakes and exhaust gases.[SUP][18][/SUP] The original proposal for four-cylinder turbocharged engines was not welcomed by the racing teams, in particular Ferrari. Adrian Newey stated during the 2011 European Grand Prix that the change to a V6 enables teams to carry the engine as a stressed member, whereas an inline 4 would have required a space frame. A compromise was reached to adopt V6 turbocharged engines instead.[SUP][18]
[/SUP]

Abarth 500 Esseesse
What's this about, it reads like there's only one engine builder but I know that's not right?

Supposed to have been a new company building engines but they're not now iirc. Honda are building them from 2015 for McLaren afaik...

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
F1 is always changing IMO. I can't keep up :(

It'll be interesting how they drive, turbo lag? Lol

ph1 172
V10's sound good but you can't have proper F1 without a V12

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YluCEXKneyg[/video]

losing interest in F1 now, used to love it but all this energy green shite is starting to kill it off imo... bring back v10's at least!

275 Trophy
Far more energy is wasted in the F1 factories and in moving the stuff around the world than 22 cars ever use being driven 300 miles 20 times a year, so the savings likely to be made are moot. Tyres lasting 30 miles really aren't great for the environment, even if they are fully recycled. How much energy does it take to produce and move them around the globe? FIA are full of s**t with their 'green' ideas.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
I agree! And all the cost cutting is nonsense too. These new engines have cost teams a fortune!

Something else which is funny is at the moment each driver can use no more than 8 engines in a season. This is going down to 5!

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I don't watch female tennis games for the sport, I watch it for pert asses and funny noises. Similarly, I don't watch F1 these day for the sport, I watch it for amazing looking cars and incredible noises. Over the last few years, both those trates of F1 have disappeared. And why???.......the fecking do-gooding Greenpeace brigade working in the FIA offices.

I think I'll stick to female tennis on Eurosport from now on..

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
This is ridiculous. One of the main loves for me is the noise, especially live! Ill have to give it a chance next year, but at this current time I am gutted :(

Far more energy is wasted in the F1 factories and in moving the stuff around the world than 22 cars ever use being driven 300 miles 20 times a year, so the savings likely to be made are moot. Tyres lasting 30 miles really aren't great for the environment, even if they are fully recycled. How much energy does it take to produce and move them around the globe? FIA are full of s**t with their 'green' ideas.

The main reason is not to actually make it more environmentally friendly. Its more from a sponsor point of view. You only see the cars going round the track on TV, none of the other stuff, so sponsors/investors should be more attracted as they will be 'seen' to be supporting a greener sport on TV

Polo + Micra
1000bhp/l is where it should be :evil:

i mean they must be getting up into double figures on the mpg stakes:dapprove:

Didn't realise they had dropped the inline 4 and moved to V6s. Does seem strange to drop the engine sizes so much though.

Clio dCi 100
To be honest I'm all for the move to turbo engines. Part of the reason for the change is to develop new technology for road cars which has got to be a good thing what with the trend for downsizing and turbocharging. Completely agree that they should be producing far more power though, the restrictions on the cars are far too limiting.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
The idea is also to bring in more manufacturers as well.
Turbo v6s are why Honda are coming back.

We'd all love to have the screaming V10s back but sadly they're just not relevant anymore.

Polo + Micra
a v6 @ 20krpm with 4 bar being shoved into it would sound good but there not going to allow it:dapprove:

TBH if people are moaning about new school, they'd do well to remember that BMW were building 1.5 litre 4 banger turbo F1 engines in the 1980s.

Don't really know what everyone's so worried about. It's not like they're gonna be slow. Most people are probably just pissed that they now have even less reason to drone on about how awesome naturally aspirated engines are ;)