ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2014 Golf R wheel failure.. Scary stuff

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
It's the reason VW didn't offer the 19" version of that wheel in the uk. It just wouldn't survive our roads.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
£10 says mine will survive 2 years without an issue. I'll take 5 bets. GO!

Is there any evidence that it "literally" disintegrated at speed? Could it be possible that it "literally" disintegrated when some speed suddenly became no speed when he binned it?

I don't mean "looks like this" or "looks like that", I mean actual evidence? Personally I think the latter scenario is more likely than the former, but you never know.

Ph2 172
Australia has terrible roads just like us. That's probably the result of hitting a huge pothole 'at speed'

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
1.jpg

Lol at this.

'My wheel died so I'll take an arty photograph. #YOLO.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Maybe he has a bonnet bra to protect his paintwork?

A ton of porple have them over here on just normal cars because of all the dust and stones also he's a very lucky lad!

Swift Sport
Love the responses on here!

Wheel almost certainly didn't disintegrate, I reckon it had some assistance.

Driver is wheelie lucky.

Regardless of what he may of hit, it's the way that's come apart that's pretty shocking. Definitely some manner of manufacturing fault.

Definitely? That's a pretty bold statement. I'd go with 'possibly'. In any case we'll probably never know, unless we see a validated report (with custard). Until then, it's speculation on our part. And a nice photo :eek:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
quiksteel-epoxy-putty-2.jpg

I can imagine his little whiney voice, "It just disintegrated at speed, I didn't hit anything honestly".

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
quiksteel-epoxy-putty-2.jpg

I can imagine his little whiney voice, "It just disintegrated at speed, I didn't hit anything honestly".

Aye, goes hand-in-hand with the usual "I had to swerve into a ditch as a car was head-on on my side of the road...but they never stopped!".

Can't see that wheel failing without at least some provocation.

Evo 5 RS
Wow, I thought it was a general exaggerated article title but nope. That's pretty much gone and f*cked itself right over.

Evo 5 RS
I dunno, the tyre looks like the spokes literally just shattered in all manner of directions like there was too much pressure, but then saying that you'd probably see a similar effect if you smacked into a curb at 80mph, so who knows. Either way it didn't cope very well lol.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
I don't see any alloy wheel just 'disintegrating at speed'

More than likely hit the mother of all potholes and destroyed it.