ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 Endurance Racer Prototype

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I've not got a clue what's going on in a lot of them photos but never the less it looks sick.

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
He said 192bhp in an earlier post, as per standard formula renault 2.0. Not sure if this is still the case, but it certainly was as of about 2 pages ago XD.
Awesome work mate, well done!

172 Cup
Yep, still the case! Not going for silly power but useable performance and easy to drive.. should still be very quick though!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
superb work, and it must be one of the most exciting things to know that once its done, you'll of built your own car, from scratch, truly deep doff of the cap to you sir!
hope you make the test.....in 3 days!!

172 Cup
hope you make the test.....in 3 days!!

:fearscream:

Best update this, then!

The car is getting very close to done now, but it won't make the 25th Feb test day. I could reel off a list of reasons but it's easier to say there was just way too much to do in such little time, no room for problems, and the reality is there's 3-4 weeks left until the thing will be ready to tear down for paint & powder coat. The list is growing ever shorter though, and is now down to: coolant plumbing, wiring, fire extinguisher, fluid lines, windows, a load of small finishing touches.. ok still a fairly long list then.

This week I've finished up the body mounting - the only thing left now is some hinges for the rear clamshell. We want to retain the original headlamps and indicators, so I had to make up a frame to hold everything in place. The lamps that came on the shell were knackered so my own GTI donated some bits for the time being!

32654795900_17b90eac5b_z.jpg

32654802850_7fe4cd762c_z.jpg

Looking pretty good now!

32881084082_813115252a_z.jpg

32910380611_ed4eb22766_z.jpg

Then I fitted the (tiny) fire extinguisher and battery..

32995209676_273622e663_z.jpg

And finally.. this is the gap I have to get cooling pipes through! 😢

32995207796_af75c8ea7c_z.jpg

Not an easy job, that one!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Getting exciting now!! Deadlines are there to be missed, so do it once, do it right and screw the timings ;-)

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Looks so good. Hats off my friend!
Can you not get coolant pipes down the side of the passenger seat?

172 Cup
Looks so good. Hats off my friend!
Can you not get coolant pipes down the side of the passenger seat?

I did want to send them down the driver's side originally, as there's a bit more space that side with the seats being shifted over, but there were a few problems with it.. the biggest being that avoiding the pedals / driver's feet was almost impossible, but even if I could there was a problem with the lap belt which would have had to rest on the cover - not ideal. The passenger side is out because of the same belt problem and they'd end up on the wrong side of the engine, so the centre is the only space left!

172 Cup
Update time!

The job I've been dreading actually turned out to be pretty enjoyable, which is nice! I got off to a bit of a dodgy start as I had 10m of aluminium tube but no bends and couldn't find anyone to make me any, but was rescued by a little-known place who had a bin full of them in the correct size - apparently no good for F1 but just fine for me!

Started off with the most restricted bit around the shift lever. I'm going to have to trim a tiny bit of the bracket away to avoid rattles but it's actually not as bad as I feared!

33051165306_00a0323818_z.jpg

I had to come up with a way of securing everything that still enabled me to slip insulation over the pipes, so made some little P-clip brackets

33051164766_c0404208e4_z.jpg

..Which then attached to some L-shaped brackets that bolt to the floor. There's room above the pipes to secure the brake, clutch, and fuel lines too.

33051163706_3972f4e484_z.jpg

This is how close everything is around the shifter..!

33051162776_de37f2c04d_z.jpg

It all looks pretty nice. :up:

32247345514_2228e7afe8_z.jpg

Then I moved on to the front end, routing from the shifter to the radiator. This was a bit fiddly as the hot pipe is below the cold, but on the rad the inlet is at the top, so the pipes needed to switch around somehow along the way.

32277837553_f6efdbca39_z.jpg

I opted to do the cold side first..

32247347514_1378a78be5_z.jpg

Hot took a bit of fiddling to get right, but the pipes are parallel which is what I like to see :cool:

32247343864_ffe85d57f4_z.jpg

Then to finish off the middle bit I made a little pass-through for the engine bay firewall

32277833133_52446da3f8_z.jpg

32277828803_61289d4dd6_z.jpg

And finally I routed from the firewall to the water pump and thermostat outlet

32247339904_e261c4b7f4_z.jpg

Frustratingly I need ONE MORE bend, as the thermostat housing is 28mm and points in the wrong direction, so I can't 100% finish it this week! I'm pretty happy with how it all came out though, and the nice thing is there's no impossible geometry so they can be CNC bent later if required.

Mk Clio 1.8 16v
this is coming together now! I'm anxious to see more updates all the time! hopefully ill get to see it at a show or something for real. Love this read, keep up the good work.

172 Cup
I'll do a proper update over the weekend! :tonguewink:

Just put it on the corner weights and it's standing at 767kg dry, so should come in wet at around 840kg.

ETA: 56% Rear weight distribution, likely to be 55% wet.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I get excited when I see the email notification on my phone lol
Looks incredible bud, hats off to you.
Can we be expecting renderings/photoshops of the finished article colour scheme? Or you leaving it bare until you've had a shake down session with it?

Attachments

• IMG_5933.jpg
    IMG_5933.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 390

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Oh my word....group B days are here again :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Have you thought about doing a Youtube show? I would bet my life it would be a massive success and make a fair bit of extra money for you.
You are producing high quality builds and doing it at a very quick pace too. There is a youtube show which I love to watch but it just doesnt make enough videos - project binky . You would be way ahead at the pace you work.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Some of the talent on this site is incredible. If I had some cash I'd open a garage and employ all you f*****s to make me some good money

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Some of the talent on this site is incredible. If I had some cash I'd open a garage and employ all you f*****s to make me some good money
Can i get a fivers worth of shares in that please? [emoji106]
This is an epic build and will forever be one of the best. Shame it's not clio shaped, then it would be perfect [emoji38]