ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

205 GTI TO CUP

Peddled device

Hi all,

Im new to this site as ive presently got a 205 gti 1.9 which has a Skip Brown s conversion of which l am selling.

I am test driving a Clio Cup on friday and am after some opinions of this car.I love my 205 as its got 163 bhp and looks great in red,with no body mods.But my job has changed a bit and have to travel more.So the cup seems to be the closest thing to my 205 for the money (£10500 brand new).

Now l cant defend the 205 build quality but those of you in the know will appreciate everything it stands for.....and mine has an extra 33 bhp!

Cheers

Youll love it mate - its got the Old School feel to it - and is light and nimble like your 205.

Itll just be a tighter / tauter modern day version of yours.

The extra power on yours probably pushes the BHP / ton higher than the Cups (yours being lighter) - but I reckon the Cupll still feel / will be faster.

Anyway if you look at some of the previous threads - if you spend £600 you can have a decat exhaust, IK, R-sport ECU and be pulling low 14 quarters!!! A lot of standard run in Cups are doing mid 14s.

I did 30K in mine and loved every minute.

I had a friend who had a PUG 1.9 GTI he loved it and I loved being in it so when I got the chance to get a CUP I jumped at it.

Best thing I ever bought , I hope you enjoy as much as I am

Thats good to know, as I am making the similar jump to a 182.

Having tested the Cooper S, CTR and the ST170 (yeah I know...), must admit, only the 182 Cup gave me similar thrills that found in the Pug, and judging by the comments I have read, you cant do no wrong with the 172 Cup at all.

Liked the 182 because of its toys as I was really deprived of them in the Pug (but the driving experience sure made up for it).

Why cant you use the 205 for travelling? if its had engine work etc itd certainly be as reliable and with the power its pushing out itll be as fast as a 172......more fun as well......

One of my friends went from a standard 1.6 gti to a mk1 172 and was dissapointed. The 172 was loads faster in almost every situation but a lot less comunicative and harder to play with on the limit than the little pug. Just his opinion before people get angry. If you need a motorway car then the cup makes loads of sense and it will still entertain on the b roads.

TDI tyre shreader

From bury, im from Bolton mate, i used to have a 205 rallye but now have a 172, wanted a bit of lux after the 205, still have my pug actually will be going soon once ive got 12months mot on it and cleaned it!! enjoy the clio they are wicked cars

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Quote: Originally posted by .:xTreme:. on 17 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by DannyBoy on 17 March 2004

no such thing as a 182 cup? ;)
<SCRIPT language=javascript> A 182 with a cup pack = New 182 Cup ( see alloys for confirmation )
AND THE CUP REFERENCE IS WHERE IT STOPS COS ITS GOT BETTER SUSPENSION SET UP THAN THE CUP AND ACCELERATES BETTER AND IS LOWER AND THEN I DUCK WAITING FOR A sh*tLOAD LMAO

IAN

BMW X5, Exige 260.

I waited the best part of 10 years for a worthy 205 replacemnt to come out and the 172 Cup is definetely it. Go for it.

Cup requires more speed to extract the same fun though as it has more grip and neeeds more provocation to get it sliding. So overall I dont slide every corner like i used to in the Pug!

hehe. ;)

ahem....... its just a car with the cup suspension setup (and a few other tweeks - cant be bothered to write em all) . none of em have the cup badges on em ya know. :p if your recall they stopped makin cups. now only 182s that by choice can use some of the features (if that, cos theyve made em better since the cup ;-) ) get it right lads.

:devilish: