ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

207 bhp 182 not as fast as standard stripped 172 cup

Itb'd 182
Ive Recently purchased an itb'd 182 which was built / mapped by fred ,tdf and rs tuning and it made a very healthy 207 bhp peak and 179ftlb of torque. The is completely standard apart from the engine work , i sold my old stripped 172 cup but standard engine wise to a friend which is slightly faster 0-60 and miles faster 60-110

The peak power difference assuming it made 172 bhp standard (unlikely) is +35hp but the 182 should have more power across the whole rev range

The weight difference should only be around 150 kg would this make that much difference or could their be a problem with the boddies / map

Any help apprieciated thanks dan

Ive Recently purchased an itb'd 182 which was built / mapped by fred ,tdf and rs tuning and it made a very healthy 207 bhp peak and 179ftlb of torque. The is completely standard apart from the engine work , i sold my old stripped 172 cup but standard engine wise to a friend which is slightly faster 0-60 and miles faster 60-110

The peak power difference assuming it made 172 bhp standard (unlikely) is +35hp but the 182 should have more power across the whole rev range

The weight difference should only be around 150 kg would this make that much difference or could their be a problem with the boddies / map

Any help apprieciated thanks dan

did you buy it and then brought it to fred?
or
did you buy it and the last owner just told you this?

Lionel Richie
i fitted the radiator and the suspension, the rest is nothing to do with me!

highly possible you have a sensor down or similar, get it checked

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
179lb/ft...........:S

if it's not overbored and high compression, then that's got to be a misquote

Evo 5 RS
150kg is quite a lot. That said standard stripped cup wouldn't be quicker it might be AS quick if it's a strong'en.. plus with that torque you'd be laughing (if it's accurate)

More to the point though... have you actually seen it make that power yourself? Like Fred says it might be flagging from a sensor or something else

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
PM me the reg, i want to look at the graph :)

Build thread: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?566972-Another-ITB-182&highlight=another+itb+182

attachment.jpg

RB 182
150kg is quite a lot. That said standard stripped cup wouldn't be quicker it might be AS quick if it's a strong'en.. plus with that torque you'd be laughing (if it's accurate)

More to the point though... have you actually seen it make that power yourself? Like Fred says it might be flagging from a sensor or something else

We were keeping up with a high comp 182 no problem with our stripped 172. Weight and engine strength play a huge part from what I've seen.

220 Trophy
To be fair though, at Bedford, i was pushing an M3 around, doesnt mean the Trophy was quicker. Just means he couldnt drive lol ...

As above, last week at Brands I was lapping a 997 GT3 and a couple of months ago an R8 in the wet, rather than my 172 being a supercar slayer just means that for whatever reason the drivers were novices or not pushing it.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Assuming TDF’s rollers are ok, my ITB’d 172 is pushing out 202bhp and 175lb/ft (with exhaust etc), so doesn’t sound unbelievable.

I thought the numbers were from a Dynodynamics. That explains it tbh. that superflow is a lovely piec of kit, but it's consistently higher than elsewhere.

Best thing to do is see where in the revs the gains are, if the gains are all higher up, then it's not a big surprise that a healthy standard car will keep up, especially on the road.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
My 2p worth.

The weight difference has a more dramatic effect on acceleration at lower speeds. As the speeds increase, and acceleration slows, and the relatively small difference in weight makes no odds.

I.e.-I would expect your more powerful car to pull further away as the speeds get higher.

On top of that, from previous experience, you need quite a big difference in power to "see" one car walk away from another on the open road. Factor that in with an unknown current state of tune and there you go.

As for comparing one car to another on track- waste of time when different people are driving the cars.

inferno 182.
think well said and good point! the stigs going to beat you in a reasonably priced car around a track!!!
My 2p worth.

The weight difference has a more dramatic effect on acceleration at lower speeds. As the speeds increase, and acceleration slows, and the relatively small difference in weight makes no odds.

I.e.-I would expect your more powerful car to pull further away as the speeds get higher.

On top of that, from previous experience, you need quite a big difference in power to "see" one car walk away from another on the open road. Factor that in with an unknown current state of tune and there you go.

As for comparing one car to another on track- waste of time when different people are driving the cars.

best bet would be to put it on a different set of rollers or go back to rs tuning if you can get back there , the engine may be dying for all you know have you done a compression check on it , at least then you know if the engine has a fault or a sensor is down somewhere , rs tuning are the people i would be seeing as they have a set of rollers and know clio's like the back of there hands

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Assuming the 182 weighs 1050kg and 172 Cup is 900kg, the 182 is 16.7% heavier.

If the 172 was running 172bhp it would be the equivalent of 201bhp in the 182.

I'd expect it to be close with any differences being due to the health of the cars and the drivers.
so

Itb'd 182
ill compression test it asap , if that doesnt show any faults ill get it up to TDF , does anyone know if normal EOBD code readers work with the gen90 ? thanks for the help

172 cups are 1020kg kerb weight arent they so the 182 will be even heavier than that , as said though if he has stripped 150kg it will be below 900kg , what has he stripped to get 150kg out , i thought people struggled to get it below 900kg with major major stripping , has your mate had his car weighed , or is this just what your friend is saying about weight

Itb'd 182
weigh bridged at 907kg , kevlar / fibreglass framed seats , no trim or dash , lightweight wheels , single skinned panels and a carbon bonnet it used to be mine and to me it felt like a strong engine compared to the other 172's and 182's ive driven

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
ill compression test it asap , if that doesnt show any faults ill get it up to TDF , does anyone know if normal EOBD code readers work with the gen90 ? thanks for the help

Your better off performing a leak down test, Compression tests are far from accurate.