ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

24MPG FF 182

Hi guys,

I've had my 182 for couple of months now and my daily commute to work is roughly 7miles (so about 15miles each day). However I'm constantly reading 24-24.4mpg.

I sometimes use CC when possible or when I cant be bothered to use feet. I sometimes put my foot down for fun but not that often.

After about a week of owning it, I got the exhaust warning light which we diagnosed as lambda/02 sensor pre cat, plugged in - reset it and it's never been back on (unless I wheelspin accidentally - it flickers)

It has a catback miltek on. Passed MOT with no issues at all earlier this year.

Any ideas? Could lambda be causing issues?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I thought I would be atleast around 30MPG.

Thanks

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
You worked it out properly or just going off the computer?

I've been going off computer. I'm sure I did roughly 250 miles on majority of a tank other week (until light was on)

Fiesta ST-2
Erasing the fault is just sweeping it under the carpet? I had the O2 sensor fault and slightly poorer mpg, lambda sensor sorted it.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Something deffo wrong.

I do 52miles a day commute on country lanes, A & B roads. Even when I give her death I still get 34mpg. Driving normally I get 38 mpg and on the motorway I get 42/44.

I only use Tesco Momentum fuel and the car has done approx 40k miles with zero modifications.

Kind regards

Frayz

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Something definitly wrong it should be above thirty mpg mate

should be closer to 40 without a lot of dificulty

I never get above 30 unless on a very long motorway journey.

Mine is average at about 28 at the moment.

From owning the car since Feb I have averaged 25mpg all in.

you have an issue unless you're in stop start traffic and country lanes literally all the time. Most cars I see are 36-38mpg with mixed driving. I can make a cup do 44mpg with little effort

1.2 16v
Something deffo wrong.

I do 52miles a day commute on country lanes, A & B roads. Even when I give her death I still get 34mpg. Driving normally I get 38 mpg and on the motorway I get 42/44.

I only use Tesco Momentum fuel and the car has done approx 40k miles with zero modifications.

Kind regards

Frayz

Your 182 gets 38 to 44 mpg? I've got a 1.2 and mine gets 42 max! The computers currently reading circa 35.

Mines fucked then lol. New lambda sensors, new cts and stat and still only see about 28mpg ! But my commute is only 5 miles each way which is most likely my problem.

Clio 172 cup
So your only doing 7 miles there and back

Your engine will have only just warmed up hence the low mpg

Try a longer journey and reset the clock

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Mines fucked then lol. New lambda sensors, new cts and stat and still only see about 28mpg ! But my commute is only 5 miles each way which is most likely my problem.

Mart...heavy right foot and you dont take it outta 2nd!!! :race:

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Your 182 gets 38 to 44 mpg? I've got a 1.2 and mine gets 42 max! The computers currently reading circa 35.

1.2s aren't economical. You have to drive them hard to make any progress and just keep up. under powered and shifting a fair weight around

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Yes Steve, it's always surprised me at how good one fuel it is.

Ive worked it out at the pumps too and the computer is pretty much spot on too. Granted I don cane it about so much anymore, but not worried about putting my foot down. She's never gone below 33mpg average and that includes trips to the ring.

I find if I use Vpower then the mpg isn't as good as the tesco momentum.

Ive mapped the Impreza on both vpower and momentum and there's no difference in power/torque at all on that. Tesco is more local to me and its cheaper.

ITB BG 182
Your moaning about 24mpg? Try town driving between 8 and 16mpg... Thats a killer. Although on the motorway when im just taking it like a granny, I often see 45-50mpg.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
This is what i get on the motorway
8252386781_072cfa0e43_c.jpg

Untitled by sbridgey, on Flickr

clio sold :(
I never get above 30 unless on a very long motorway journey.

Mine is average at about 28 at the moment.

From owning the car since Feb I have averaged 25mpg all in.

This^^^^
My work is 4.2 miles away I doit 4 times a day and normaly get 28-29 mpg
But go anywere motorway I get mid 30's even had it telling me 40's before!!

ITB BG 182
This^^^^
My work is 4.2 miles away I doit 4 times a day and normaly get 28-29 mpg
But go anywere motorway I get mid 30's even had it telling me 40's before!!
Try it on a speed limiter at 60mph.... Or if not a speed limiter just try for 60mph as Ive seen the 50mpg before, and if I am feeling really tight and easy on time, I have followed lorries doing 50mph+ and seen 57mpg.... Not for long though...

Ibiza FR Edition
Try it on a speed limiter at 60mph.... Or if not a speed limiter just try for 60mph as Ive seen the 50mpg before, and if I am feeling really tight and easy on time, I have followed lorries doing 50mph+ and seen 57mpg.... Not for long though...

So MPG should be better with speed limiter on rather than cruise?

clio sold :(
Ive done that in my megane one night on the way back from the Fast Show . Just sat about 54mph behind a lorry slow but I saved a huge amout of fuel.
Speed limiter?
Im ok with 29 mpg cause its uphill to my work and the car doesnt rearly get upto temperature before im at my destination. I will reset it on my way for dinner at 3 see what I can get driving it like a granny

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Cruise will accelerate fully on an incline (it doesnt understand to maintain constant velocity!!!) As for downhill...it tries to engine brake when going downhill to maintain set CC speed. Its better on a constant flat run!!! Pmsl

Titanium 182
i also think i have issues with my mpg. just the other day did 60 miles and got 31 mpg going 70mph ! if i get some live data going what kind of values should i be seeing for different sensors?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Lambda issue I reckon, sometimes they won't bring on the warning lamp, needs to be plugged into clip to see if the upstream sensor is fluctuating correctly. Changed one on a fr4 laguna the other week, failed on emissions and his trip was reading 19mpg. He's now back to 33mpg

Monaco 172
I did Worcester to Bristol at the weekend so about 60 - 70 miles. Did this 60 behind a lorry most of the way and ended the trip in the upper 40's on MPG. Mas incredibly impressed with that.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
my commute is roughly 2 miles a day each way, in edinburgh, heavy traffic, stop start etc, and im showing 24mpg just now.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I think my thermostat is stuck open ever so slightly as it takes a while to get up to half. I'm also getting between 22-24mpg so could be a duff lambda altough I've had it on the reader and no codes came up. Having said that I sit in traffic an awful lot and it only does 18 miles a day, think I'll give it a good blast this xmas break as on a run it seems to sort it out