ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd Gear Problem

Renault Clio 172
Hi all,

Can anyone help me diagnose what's happened to my 2nd gear? The car goes into all other gears fine, pulled away this morning put it into 2nd (was fine) pulled up to a junction then stopped. Pulled away again, 1st was fine, went to go into second and then I physically couldn't get it into gear?! Has anyone else had this problem?
My first thought was linkage maybe, but I'm at work now and can't look until later or maybe even tomorrow :(

Thanks in advance!

RB Clio 182
My old gearbox started off like this, then eventually it went into second gear really easily but i had no drive, second gear had totally gone kaput.

I doubt its your linkage unless the nut wasnt done tight before and its moved slightly.

Renault Clio 172
My old gearbox started off like this, then eventually it went into second gear really easily but i had no drive, second gear had totally gone kaput.

I doubt its your linkage unless the nut wasnt done tight before and its moved slightly.
Oh great haha! Looks like my bank account could be in a for shock!

Renault Clio 172
Can anyone of you point me in the right direction for a gearbox at that price?!

I've only seen one near the £150 mark. The rest are all about £300 haha

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can anyone of you point me in the right direction for a gearbox at that price?!

I've only seen one near the £150 mark. The rest are all about £300 haha
I would personally get your current one rebuilt.
Clio's are known for s**t weak gearboxes so you could buy one that lasts a year or you could buy one that lasts a weekend.

Renault Clio 172
I would personally get your current one rebuilt.
Clio's are known for s**t weak gearboxes so you could buy one that lasts a year or you could buy one that lasts a weekend.
How much roughly would I be looking at for a rebuild?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£300-500 depending what needs replacing.
Plus the labour to take the box out. (£150)
And whilst it's out, fit a new OE clutch. (Valeo, £90)

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
If doing it yourself risk a used £150 box
if paying labour for fitting it (£150ish) and the car is worth it to you, £700 for a basically new renault box, also as Daniel says a valeo clutch at £60-£70 (ECP with discount code)
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/cl...ditioned-jc5-130-gearbox-genuine-renault.html

I should add that is a 130 box with no speedo drive so if your car is earlier than 2003 ish that won't do, you'll need a 129 box

Renault Clio 172
If doing it yourself risk a used £150 box
if paying labour for fitting it (£150ish) and the car is worth it to you, £700 for a basically new renault box, also as Daniel says a valeo clutch at £60-£70 (ECP with discount code)
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/cl...ditioned-jc5-130-gearbox-genuine-renault.html

I should add that is a 130 box with no speedo drive so if your car is earlier than 2003 ish that won't do, you'll need a 129 box
I'll see what I can do. I was under the impression the 172&182 gearboxes were the same?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
the 129 has a speedo drive sensor down the back of the box next to the diff
the 130 takes it speedo reading from the front left ABS sensor via the ecu

Renault Clio 172
Ah right okay! Thank you! I would have ended up with the wrong one and been asking more questions! 😂

I'm new to the Clio scene. Still a lot for me to learn

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds to me like the spring clip in the selector hub has failed and is stopping you selecting a gear.

Easy fix with the box out tbf, but it depends on what you find when you open them up. Search my name and you'll see I know quite a lot about the good old jc5!! Lol

Renault Clio 172
Sounds to me like the spring clip in the selector hub has failed and is stopping you selecting a gear.

Easy fix with the box out tbf, but it depends on what you find when you open them up. Search my name and you'll see I know quite a lot about the good old jc5!! Lol
Oddly, I had a little play about around half hour ago and it goes into gear again, I'll have a look at a more convenient time.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me indetify my problems, and apologies for being such a simpleton 😂

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oddly, I had a little play about around half hour ago and it goes into gear again, I'll have a look at a more convenient time.

Thanks to everyone who has been helping me indetify my problems, and apologies for being such a simpleton 😂
Great news mate! At least you can drive it again without skipping a gear!

As others have said, no need to apologise! And trust me, others have asked things that are far simpler than a gear selection issue! Lol!

monaco 172
A few years ago my 182 box got stuck in 5th.

Got under the car and the selector was stuck up or down (Can't remember where 5th is)

I had to prize it down with a bar, tapped it up again with a hammer and all was good again until I flogged it a few years later. No idea what happened, but hopefully yours will be the same

Renault Clio 172
A few years ago my 182 box got stuck in 5th.

Got under the car and the selector was stuck up or down (Can't remember where 5th is)

I had to prize it down with a bar, tapped it up again with a hammer and all was good again until I flogged it a few years later. No idea what happened, but hopefully yours will be the same
Mine is working again, for now, but god knows how long for!! Lol

Hopefully it lasts long enough for me to get the poor old thing looking good again!

Thanks anyway dude!!

monaco 172
i've got a 182 box here that's stuck in 6th !!!!!!!!
Not sure I understand, Or are you taking the Michael?

It did genuinely happen lol, AA toed me home so I could prepare to get the box off so thought I'd got nothing to loose messing with a hammer and it sorted it.

dan's cast offs.
Not sure I understand, Or are you taking the Michael?

It did genuinely happen lol, AA toed me home so I could prepare to get the box off so thought I'd got nothing to loose messing with a hammer and it sorted it.

nope, driver was giving it stick and went for 6th and managed to sort of find it even though it's not there. selector in the box has jumped out and stuck between gears.