ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 points and a 60 quid fine for tints! + have to remove nur

Clio 172
Got stopped by the police yesterday on the way to work.

I passed them at 30 in a 40 (was traffic cops) anyway I continued with my drive to work to find them overtaking heaps of cars behind me! I then pulled in to let them past but oh no they stopped behind me!

They then done a db test on my nur spec (107 db!) so I then gave them the baffle (109 db!?) I then said sorry but its not going to be more with the baffle in so he done it again to find it at 97.2. The test was done at 1 metre away with traffic coming past at 4,000 rpm + I was told it could be no more then 70 db. I thought the law was 3,000 rpm at 100 metres with no more then 97 db?

Anyway he let me off with that and just asked me to change it.

Now to the tints.... which I have now been given 3 points and a 60 pound fine for!!! Why? I can see out of them fine. I would have thought if you are not allowed door tints that it should be checked in an mot for saftey?
He didnt even give me the chance to rip them off!

What can I do people? I really dont want 3 points on my licence as I have only had it for a 1 and a half.

Thanks

Oh and heres what I think I have got on my side:

I got no warning before to remove them.
I also got no 10 day period to remove them.
I was not asked to try and take them off there and then.
Vosa say they dont give points they just get the tints removed.
Solicitor says it seems unfair.
I did not get them put on the car.
I was not aware of the law and nothing is really mentioned in the highway code (well not in my book)
The law does not seem to bring points into window tints.
My car passed an mot fine with the tints on which im suprised about if its so dangerous.
I would have not tinted my windows had they not already been done.
I have been stopped 4 times before and nothing has ever been mentioned.

Im sure I could go on.

I think the tint come under the 'construction and use act' for motor vehicles, which because your tints were to dark, you were contravening. As a result you vehicle is unroadworthy and 3 point is the punishment.

Inferno 182
The driver and passenger side front tints need to be a certain % of tint but the rear ones can be darker. Theyd have to do a test on the car to prove they are too dark!

Im pretty sure the exhaust is 97db but dont quote me. I`d go to a different police station and ask them there view of the law and then get it in writting. A lot of poilice try it on and make up the law cos they can get away with it. Thers ex police at my moms work and shes herard lots of dodgy stories about what the did to people.

Youve got the net so Id do some searches on what the actual law is. If the coppa was lieing then take your new evidance and take it to his boss and say your having him for victimisation.

Clio 172
I was stopped on north deeside rd in aberdeen.

Yea I drive a mr2.

Tints came out as letting 17.5 % light through when it should be 70%

Da

Less
It is an endorsable offence AFAIK as it's, as stated above, contravening the roadworthiness of your vehicle. Thus 3 points as you would expect with a bald tyre etc etc. But it should be tested using a light level meter to determine the amount of light the tints let thru. MOT stations do not, generally, test the tints because the test equyipment is expensive and the number of tinted cars simply doesn't justify the cost. I recently read however that the traffic cops had launched a clamp down on illegal tints and maybe you've fallen foul of that? :dapprove:

*edit* I see they were tested by the police :eek:

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
did he use a light meter on them mate? if he didnt rip them off and tell them 2 go f**k themselves as he has no evidence of light reading.

It sounds like you have all ready signed some thing to put those points on your licence. You should have not signed it and let them take you to court. In court say the car came like that how was you meant to know.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
LOL!!!!!!!!! @ The responses.

You already know your breaking the law, yet you protest.

You say you can see perfectly out of the tinted windows, which only let 17.5% light through... I'm guessing from that statement you never drive after it goes dark!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Aren't they clamping down as with tints (even very light ones) speed and general traffic cameras can't pick out the driver?

So it's not primarily that it's unsafe to have them (although with only 17% light getting through that's totally 110% unsafe), more that traffic enforcement cameras can't identify you if you do something wrong.

inferno rs 182
the law states you must allow 80% light thru ur tints. we all like dark tints but sadly those days are gone. the law was brought in due to a young driver with 5% tints running over and killing a cyclist in north wales. it was proved his view was obstucted by the tints. thus the introduction of the new law. if your tints are illegal and u are involved in an accident you could be prosecuted.

i also know of a story of a guy gettin 3 points 4 his sunstrip

S-Max
Sounds like the old bill need something better to do with their time imho

Beats telling kids off nicking penny sweets from the corner shop though

Clio 172
Well u say that but I am sure they done the test wrong because there is no way that what the % they told me is correct. I have got my car booked in with a tinting place tomorrow.

a burnt one
Jeezo 17.5% light!! Either theyre device for measuring that needs calibrated or you appear to be driving with windows made form a freeking welders mask.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
can u get out of this with the age old calibration certificate route? those meters must b calibrated on a regular basis, so if they dnt have a certificate u can s**t on them! :)

get the tinting place 2 measure ur tints, if illegal get them 2 put legal 1's on and then write a letter for you saying they have checked them and they are perfectly legal and they installed them themselves a year ago blah blah blah

Mondeo STTDCI
This goes beyond my knowledge of Construction & Use regulations, well beyond if I'm honest. I've never even seen a traffic car with the light meter and db reading machine thing.

However, from what I do know, lots of Traffic Offences are pretty much absolute offences, as in if you use a motor vehicle on a road/public place with such and such a defect then, quite simply, you are guilty of the offence.

Therefore, pay the fine take the points. Or as you will have been told you can opt to go to court. Up to you!

can u get out of this with the age old calibration certificate route? those meters must b calibrated on a regular basis, so if they dnt have a certificate u can s**t on them! :)

get the tinting place 2 measure ur tints, if illegal get them 2 put legal 1's on and then write a letter for you saying they have checked them and they are perfectly legal and they installed them themselves a year ago blah blah blah

Yep Im sure they'd be well up for a bit of perverting the course of justice just to take a customer's £200 for doing some new tints. :rolleyes:

the law states you must allow 80% light thru ur tints. we all like dark tints but sadly those days are gone. the law was brought in due to a young driver with 5% tints running over and killing a cyclist in north wales. it was proved his view was obstucted by the tints. thus the introduction of the new law. if your tints are illegal and u are involved in an accident you could be prosecuted.

does 5% mean that only 5% of the light outside could get in?

If thats true why didnt he just ride around with a bin sack over his head! what a penis!:nono:

whoooops got mine dun yesterday only a lite tine all the way round. windows down heaters on prolem solved lol

inferno rs 182

does 5% mean that only 5% of the light outside could get in?

If thats true why didnt he just ride around with a bin sack over his head! what a penis!:nono:

yeah 5% outside light, pretty much limo tints.
totally agree its a bit excessive. 20% perfect in my opinion but illegal according to the fuzz.

back to the point tho, your tints are obviously illegal, everyone knows your not allowed deep tints on the front two windows. that why you see folk driving round with only the bak done, makin the car look like a van.

i've got 50% (illegal) on the front and 35% round the back, its very subtle and you'd have to look twice to see they were tinted but the point is they don't stand out and are easily seen thru however still illegal and that letting 50% thru, to be honest mate i don't think you've got a leg to stand on.

inferno rs 182
whoooops got mine dun yesterday only a lite tine all the way round. windows down heaters on prolem solved lol

thats a good point if the police pull you n you've got tints put ur windows down. they cant make you put them up.

also if they are giving you a bit of aggro and you want to cum the c*nt way them refuse to get in the back of their car as you dnt have to its purely a curtisey (spelling i know lol) and so they have two cops word against you. or you could ask to take a passenger with you.

also if you can lock your glovebox or boot freely from your central locking you dnt have to open it without due cus i.e 'we stopped you today sir because we believe your transporting drugs etc'

obviously dnt do this if you've got a dodgy tyre or were speeding but its good to know if they are just being knobs like usual, however best keep this for the panda cops as the traffics will drill you a new ar*ehole lol

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lionel Richie
i'm pretty sure you should recieve a rectification notice first before they issue points, ask the copper on here

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
lol @ nur spec exhaust. Thats loader than what my R1 can ran at brands which was so loud you needed ear plugs and a helmet to try and reduce it.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
As for tints. Anything under 30% is an automatic 3 points. If they let more than that through you can remove them on the spot to aviod the fine.

Mondeo STTDCI

thats a good point if the police pull you n you've got tints put ur windows down. they cant make you put them up.

also if they are giving you a bit of aggro and you want to cum the c*nt way them refuse to get in the back of their car as you dnt have to its purely a curtisey (spelling i know lol) and so they have two cops word against you. or you could ask to take a passenger with you.

also if you can lock your glovebox or boot freely from your central locking you dnt have to open it without due cus i.e 'we stopped you today sir because we believe your transporting drugs etc'

obviously dnt do this if you've got a dodgy tyre or were speeding but its good to know if they are just being knobs like usual, however best keep this for the panda cops as the traffics will drill you a new ar*ehole lol

You have obviously been listening to a little much Jay-Z. For the unitiated I think BUFFALO studies Jay-Z's American Law Book called "99 Problems".

I heard "Son do you know why I'm stoppin' you for?"
Cause I'm young and I'm black and my hats real low?
Do I look like a mind reader sir, I don't know
Am I under arrest or should I guess some mo'?
"Well you was doin fifty-five in a fifty-fo' "
"Liscense and registration and step out of the car"
"Are you carryin' a weapon on you I know a lot of you are"
I ain't steppin out of s**t all my paper's legit
"Well, do you mind if I look round the car a little bit?"
Well my glove compartment is locked so are the trunk in the back
And I know my rights so you gon' need a warrant for that

- The Police are entitled to examine your vehicle for Roadworthiness.
- Yep, you dont need to come to the Police Car. You can stand out in the cold and the rain. The police wont actually mind as they get issued with nice hats and big coats and gloves.
- Lock the glovebox? Why? The police have a power to search the vehicle if they want to and locking the glovebox will not prevent them using this power.

'52 clio 1.2 16V
i dont pretend to know anything about the law but how come the police need a warrant to search your house but don't for your car? surely its the same principal

inferno rs 182
99 problems and a b**ch aint one lol

why would looking in the boot or glovebox effect the roadworthiness of the car?

so is that a myth busted then dave, cus its folklore up my way