ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4k Rattle

Picked car up from reno last week and it now has a very annoying buzz from 3.9k to 4.1k (rpm) in every gear. Took the Service Manager out for a drive and he said it was the dashboard. I got the wife to have a listen and she says it is central and sounds like it is comming from under the stereo / in front of the gear stick, but not from behind the dashboard as he said.

Any ideas from you lot ?

Subaru WRX

Yep exactly what has happened to mine twice !!

You need the centre section of exhaust replacing, its a very very common fault and is covered by your warranty.

Clio 172 Ph2

It is possible to still have the 4k rattle having replaced that center section. I should know, I had it once!

I keep adjusting my exhaust (Magnex twin 3.5" cat-back) until I get it hanging out just the right amount at the back and the time before last, I had the rattle. You can actually tighten up the heatshield as its kinda held on by some metal screwy things. Just get under the car and move it around a bit, tighten up whatever you see, bend it a little even!

My exhaust rattled on tickover, cant say I ever noticed a 4K rattle, but the mid section was replaced under warranty any way!

Thats definately the 4k rattle. When I drove my 172 for the first time I too thought it was coming from the dashboard. After a few trips to the dealer with them tightening the heat shield/replacing heatshield bolts they finally fitted me a new centre exhaust section which has cured the problem.

Ad

MK2 FRS

2x Centre section, 1 cat and its still not gone. Getting all new heat shieds and maybe yet another centre section.

I recon that the centre section of the exhaust isnt very good quality, I mean my 4k rattle was happening from brand new, the new centre section cured it, but it looks like even some of the new centre sections may be faulty?

..that 4k rattle thing, Ive just developed it too. Cars done about 12k miles. Is it defo the exhaust section that needs replacing or just a mounting/heatshield that can be adjusted?

I dont like putting my car into the dealer unless i have to, they wind me up with their incompetence.

Example, I phoned my dealer to book in for first service. To test them I asked when the first service was due on a clio cup, to which the service manager responded "What is a Clio Cup!" so as you can imagine, i was not very confident even from the outset.

pugboy

Cheers for all your help. It is going in on Saturday to have th Brake conpensator valve fitted and I will see if I can speak to the engineer direct about it then.

nearly coverd 1000 miles from new, as yet, 40 plus mpg, very few squeaks, car looks brill, slowly starting to open her up a little , gets better every day, whats wrong!!!!! this is not the sort of thing I expect from RENO, have I gat a dodgy car or summat?

maybe when you start to rag it, the torque of the engine will rip your car limb from limb, then when all the component parts are loose it will rattle like the rest of them !