ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

50MM lenses - Nikon Q

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Not your usuall "will it fit".

Would just like to know what a 50mm will offer me that my kit lense wont? All I know is it will allow me to bring my apeture right down to 1.8F but apart from that?

Considering one as my kit lense is huge and its stopping me taking my camera out as its so bulky. the 50mm is nice and small!

Have been considering this:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/19693/show.html

Better in low light. Much better.

It's very sharp. Amazing DoF.

I don't use my kit lens. Ever. But lol @ it being bulky!

Ian

Focus TDCi
You've pretty much pointed out the main two advantages.. it's a wider f-stop so allows you to be more creative/use it in lower light and it's small and unobtrusive. The third thing I'd say is that it's a lot sharper than the kit lens (Canon version is anyway), especially at wider apertures.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Better in low light. Much better.

It's very sharp. Amazing DoF.

I don't use my kit lens. Ever.

Worth buying then? I don't wanna buy one and it be the same as my kit lense.

Last Q then you can lock this:

Worth buying 2nd hand for a little cheaper? I reckon id be able to find one cheaper than 109.

Mine cost me £75 new :approve: Buying before stuff goes up FTW!

You can do. But for the little you'd save, I'd get it from Jessops for the lack of hassle.

I wouldn't be without mine. So yeah, definitely worth buying.

182 & Porsche 986
I'd recommend it, i've used my kit lens about once since i've owned my 50mm and ive had it over a year :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Think Luke has a D60. Mine's a D40. AF-S is a ridiculous price when you see how cheap the AF lot can have them.

Yup I wonder if it was a big saver or not in production costs, they're certaintly making it on lenses.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
It's rediculous price jump up to the D90 just to use any AF lens (buying new).

Boosh, that 35mm is the one in my last link, I was looking at getting that a couple of months ago and IIRC it's been getting good praise and regarded as great value.

35mm would be my lens on choice on a crop sensor - its as close to a true '50' as your going to get.

3 Series touring
will literally be the best lense you will ever buy (sub £300)
makes things so much more creative

Nimbus 197
35mm would be my lens on choice on a crop sensor - its as close to a true '50' as your going to get.

Agreed. I have the Nikon 35mm AF-S prime someone posted up there ^. I don't think I could live without it. I never use my kit lens now! I shoot with D60 btw.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Dilemma :( So would people purchase the AF 35mm one over the MF 50mm one? going to try and pick a 35mm one up second hand if so

Nimbus 197
Dilemma :( So would people purchase the AF 35mm one over the MF 50mm one? going to try and pick a 35mm one up second hand if so

I've also tried a 50mm on a D90. While it's a very good lens, I prefer the 35mm (52.5mm equivalent on Nikon DX) focal length on crop sensor. If you can, go to a local jessops or something to test the lenses.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
^ That's another reason I'm thinking about the 35mm, a bit wider is better for me for indoor small group shots of friends and family. Have a test on your kit lens at 35mm and 50mm and see which suits you better?

As I prefer the 35mm and its price(!), I think I'll definitely be getting that when the camera is the next thing to spend money on.

I've got an MF 50 (well it's from the 60s, so no metering), and it's really hard to get a spot on focus manually on my camera.

That must be old school! Does it still work well quality wise with DSLRs?

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Buy my D80 and you won't need to worry about what lenses auto focus :rasp:

I've got the 35mm f/1.8 and it's not been off my camera since the day I bought it.

"Navy" N17 TWO
The Sigma 30mm is a great lens going by some shoots & reports on here a while back

Think it was JJ! on here had it

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I think thats what I am going to buy...

So am I correct in thinking that a 35mm is the same as a 50mm APART from the amount of zoomage (I dunno my technical terms).

Also. Whats "Focal length on crop sensor" :eek:

Lol, 35mm & 50mm are focal lengths fella.

From what I can gather, On a crop sensor like we have (the sensor is smaller than one slide of film, therefore cropped) 35mm lenses on a crop sensor give the closest effect to 50mm on film.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Only works on the D40 as it's an n-AI mount lol.

Here's a set of pictures taken with it...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gaz_roberts01/sets/72157622127696403/

Oh right, more limitations for the D60 then lol

Great pics with that lens mate, esp if you had to manually focus them all!

Lol, 35mm & 50mm are focal lengths fella.

From what I can gather, On a crop sensor like we have (the sensor is smaller than one slide of film, therefore cropped) 35mm lenses on a crop sensor give the closest effect to 50mm on film.

Yup, that's how I understand it too.

Oh right, more limitations for the D60 then lol

Great pics with that lens mate, esp if you had to manually focus them all!

Well apparently n-AI lenses will damage any modern Nikon DSLR bar the D40, so it's not just the D60 that's limited in that sense. And thanks, manual focus, no metering, just sheer guesswork really!

Nimbus 197
I think thats what I am going to buy...

So am I correct in thinking that a 35mm is the same as a 50mm APART from the amount of zoomage (I dunno my technical terms).

Also. Whats "Focal length on crop sensor" :eek:

Think of focal length as the amount of zoom, like you say.

Basically, all models below the D700 have APS-C sensors (cropped). Nikon refer to this as their "DX" range of cameras. The D700 and above have full frame sensors, which Nikon call their "FX" range of cameras.

You have to apply a crop factor to lenses for APS-C sensors to get its equivalent focal length on 35mm film/FX sensor. Nikon crop factor is x1.5 - hence, the 35mm AF-S lens has an equivalent focal length of 52.5mm on the D40/D60/D80/D90. The manual 50mm lens will give about 75mm. etc.

Personally, I prefer the 35mm working distance. Like someone said, set your kit lens to 35mm and then 50mm to see which one you prefer.

But yeah, 35mm is the closest to 50mm you will get on a DX camera. HTH!!

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Well apparently n-AI lenses will damage any modern Nikon DSLR bar the D40, so it's not just the D60 that's limited in that sense. And thanks, manual focus, no metering, just sheer guesswork really!

Great guesswork then! lol

Oh, I didn't know any of that, thought about buying older lenses cheap and just manually focussing, sounds like I could have caused some damage!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
D40x needs AFs DX,
for a prime get the 35mm, thats what i got. Decent quick lens

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Hi.. Still umming and arring about this 35mm lense. I'm worried I won't use it enough or i won't get on with it. Will it sell on easy enough re-sale wise? :)