ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6.5" speakers really are easy to install - proof!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Only took an hour and half from start to finish and that was by no mean rushing!

IMG_1862.jpg

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1864.jpg

Just a case of removing the doorcards, cutting away the plastic, cutting and drilling the mdf, screw the speaker in and refit the doorcard.

Dont be scared people!

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
does the window go all the way down? just wondered as i saw it in a 106 and almost died laughing at my mates efforts lol

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice work, one, I need to do this. What speakers are they?

Infinity 605cs (just checked the box!)

Looks tidy Johnathan, where'd you put the crossovers and tweeters?

Tweeters are in the standard position and the crossovers are hidden behind the speedo cluster!

does the window go all the way down? just wondered as i saw it in a 106 and almost died laughing at my mates efforts lol

lol my old corsa was like that :eek: However in this case yeah they go all the way down and miss by a decent amount. Also miss the grill :)

Last edited:
  Coiley'd Clio PH2
How do you secure the MDF to the door card?
Do you get a good seal so the sound quality is good?

Owen

ClioSport Admin
I wouldn't have thought you secure the MDF to the door card.

I presume he would have drilled the MDF and screwed it into the door using the original holes (in the door) and then screwed the speaker to the MDF seperately, or use extra long screws and screw the speaker to MDF to door all in one.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
How do you secure the MDF to the door card?
Do you get a good seal so the sound quality is good?

???
Answer?
???

Give me a chance to come on line!!!

Anyway, I did secure the spacers to the doors.

Basically I took the grill that came with the speakers, popped out the mesh and drew around that inside and out. I also used the 4 holes as guides for drilling the screw holes. I did 8 of these and countersunk 4 of them.

I then secured the spacer to the door using the original torx (t20) screws in the countersunk holes and secured the speaker to the mdf using the screws that came with them.

Sound quality is fine although I do need to do some sound deadening to improve it, however waiting till I've done something else before I do that.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh and the seal is fine, bit of accurate cutting of the mdf is all thats needed. Its so close it actually can hold the speaker in without screws!

182 Cup, Octavia VRS Tdi
Have you got a pic of whats been removed from the door card mate? Not sure I want to cut my door car tbh. May just upgrade with standard size 13cm speaker.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Nice one, hmmm do I upgrade (i'm still running the standard tape player don't ya know :) )

Wow, thats impressive!

Better than 5.5' speakers tho?! :S

Well I had them from the coupe so they've not cost me anything and yeah a bit of an improvement imo

An hour and a half!!!!! you slack f*****r lol.....

I spend some of that time tidying up after and pissing about with Dave but yeah Im sorry for being lazy :( ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Might seek your skills again for the Vee...Got a alpine underseat sub and come fronts and rears to go in! No time till june tho.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
When's that! Car goes into the bodyshop for respray soon. Then need to fit the coils etc..So...Time is short.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Super! :)

Another thing. i can't get my HU is sit in the dash right. Mainly coz the cage can't be firmly secured! So Basically it looks crap!

And solution to that!!??

PH2 172
do the doors rattle much or would it be best to put a lil bit of sound dedening on the doors first and if so where would you put the sound dedening?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Would defo be best to put some sound deadening in first, preferbly all over if the door. If thats not possible behind the speaker will do. Will be adding some to mine once Ive put new sidestrips on.

Doesnt rattle anymore than normal, from inside the car anyway

Focus RS Mk1
bit of dynamat on the mdf ring youve cut will give you a spot on seal.

will be doing this to mine soon