ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

600 mile trip home from pub, via Snowdonia [Photowhorage]

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Friday night, midnight - been to workmates leaving do .. dropped Matt off, and he says "do you want to go to Wales...?"

(We had been discussing things to do this weekend - this was one of the options)

Sure, I said but Dan will want to come too as we had mentioned this earlier in the week. Weather is supposed to be rubbish .. lets do it another weekend.

He says lets go now .. I said OK but call Dan [danny172 on here] and if he answers, we'll go. His phone is bound to be off I think to myself, I want to go to bed anyway, he always switches his phone off and it's well past his bedtime.

*Ring ring* ..... Me: Uh oh !

"Hello?" .. "Morning - we're on our way over - we're going to wales!". Click.

I popped home to get camera, jacket and brave pills, we agreed to meet at 2am then it was off to Shell for some V-Power and then we hit the road !

We left Dans at 3am, stopped somewhere about 120miles north for 45 min kip ... and got to wales sometime after 7.

730am, we got out of the fog, which was like driving with cataracts for 200 miles into the morning dawn !

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

It was chuffing cold at 8am when we got first sight of the mountains !

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

We carried on for about an hour then .. wow ......:

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0419.jpg

Very sketchy run down a mountain road - lots of black ice around. Turn wheel at 20mph and it felt like steering was on a time delay ! Count to 3, clios back end moves around !!

Stopped for a breather:

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0512.jpg

Slippery ? No kidding ...

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

Roads were packed - it must have been rush hour ...:

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

Went home via a stop at a friend's place in Birmingham .. got home eventually at about 9pm after 620miles !

Really good fun day though :approve:

/Rob

In between cars....
Looks like an amazing weekend run mate, will have to visit the relatives down wales some time!

Amy

UR R26, Hyundai IX35
Those pictures are awesome, really wanted to go recently and now moreso!

PH1 172 Sport
Only time ive driven it was was in a works astra van early this year. Added another 100 miles to my trip but the fuel was free and I didn't give two s***s about the car so it was properly abused! If only they knew.....

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Thanks guys ! It was fun !! :cool:

Looks like an amazing weekend run mate, will have to visit the relatives down wales some time!
^ You realise you live in Scotland, yeah ? It's better than Wales for hilly stuff/roads :eek:

Nicest black Ph1 on here I would say
^ muchous gracious senior :approve:

Only time ive driven it was was in a works astra van early this year. Added another 100 miles to my trip but the fuel was free and I didn't give two s**ts about the car so it was properly abused! If only they knew.....
^ Brilliant ! Might as well if you're not paying ! :D Just don't take out any walls .. you'd have trouble explaining that one haha !!

Great story and pics, I'm so lucky that roads like that are on my doorstep
^ I lived in Swansea for a few years at Uni .. black mountains / Beacons ... wow. :star:

:D

172 cup
Stunning photos!

Better than mine! I went last week but it was very cloudy! Couldn't see that far and couldn't see the tops of mountains or anything :(

Spur of the moment road trip FTW! :)

Turbos.
Great pics! I went to Snowdon the weekend after i bought my car and didn't realise it was the EVO triangle area, had a blast!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Stunning photos!

Better than mine! I went last week but it was very cloudy! Couldn't see that far and couldn't see the tops of mountains or anything :(

Spur of the moment road trip FTW! :)
^ Ha I would have been annoyed if it was still foggy in the mountains, but Wales was clear of fog !! :cool:

that looks amazing!! nice car too. what camera????

^ 1.3MP camera phone :boring:

Very nice :cool:

Elan Valley FTW!

^Bout 90 miles north of that ;)

It was a great day, was not to impressed with Rob dragging me out at 3am half cut but turned out to be worth it!

Great pics mate for a camera phone ;)

Car looks far to clean :race:

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
excellent fella., some stunning shots there...

Mish and Myself are planning a winter run over to the lakes and surrounding area's soon..

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looks like Great Roads but I'm not too sure about a Blast on Roads in -4 TBH

320d
Awsome pics, it looks stunning there. Not the best weather for spirtited driving but still looks like a brilliant weekend.

Iceberg 172
^Bout 90 miles north of that ;)

Three of us did a 200+ miles route around north Wales earlier in the year, including the Evo triangle, across to Bala, south to Dolgellau and Machynlleth and then north round Snowdon via Caernarfon and back to Betws. Brilliant roads. :race:

Our next planned trip is to include the Elan Valley where the photo opportunities are second to none. :approve:

Ph1 172 + Combo van
That is absolutely awesome mate i will definately be driving over that way soon when i get my new car. Maybe a little CS roadtrip if more people from the area are up for it;)

TrackCar & F30 330d
That is such a sweeeeeeeet road trip. I think i would have enjoyed it more if it was dry/a bit warmer. Might have to do that little trip one day :)