ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

64mm throttle body??

Clio 172 phase 1
Okay so after tonnes of cleaning etc it's still apparent that my throttle
body is nackered and well you can see the wear on the inside where the butter fly is sticking... So looking. At a new body or a recon one ... On ebay there is a 64mm one £65 recon and return as the spring is not my issue just the inner workings I think this would fix my problem and minimal cost :) but is it worth it or is it going to cause all manner or problems? I'd prefer a tidy standard one but £££ is tight this month,, also any one got one and noticed any gains? Alough minimal im planning on matched inlets and this throttle body to give me some smoother power? Or am I dreaming lol

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
This again... face+palm

Search for a test that RS Tuning did as the TB is not a restriction.

Clio 172 phase 1
Fair enough well is there any where on here or any one who reconditions the o.e throttle body? And is well good ? I'd soon rather pay and send mine off than have to fork out £300 for a new one :(

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Give him a call. Not always easy to get hold of him though, he's a busy man. What you might be able to get from him is a TB from the older Cup racers. Don't get excited about this, there is no power gain it's just a throttle body. It may not have the breather pipe from the manifold either, but on mine there has been very little oil coming out of it and if you want to you could fit an oil catch can. Forget refurbishing them as they are 13 or 14 years old, chuck it away in the bin and buy one from R-Sport or Adam at Renault Wolverhampton. It's an old car the 172 Ph1 and what you saved buying old should be enough to buy some new replacement parts!

Clio 172 phase 1
Managed to do some wiggling on this today.... I work for ecp and emailed my prod manager on this they've managed to sort summat with renault £175 + vat for a brand new body :) I'm waiting for a conformation email tomo to let me know some part numbers that will work on our system ....... :) so possibly ecp might have a very limited run of genuine ones in soon :)

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
This again... face+palm

Search for a test that RS Tuning did as the TB is not a restriction.

Here's the graph.

y6aze9e9.jpg

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I went down that road two years ago and I hope it works out for you. What arrived wasn't a Ph1 throttle body so it went back on the ferry to Germany where ECP had sourced it. All credit to the person at ECP for trying though.

Clio 172 phase 1
Lol fair shout these will be direct from renault not ecp tho ... The company will use it's buying power to get good discount through renault and they'll buy a few and add them to the catalog they usually buy stuff in 10-15s to test out the sales ... And we will see :) I'm going to get a 2nd hand one :) but will see if ecp get it right this time lol

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
They'll sell just fine if they're right. The German source I mentioned was the OEM supplier to Renault. I think I bought four second hand ones all in all. Mine now drives like it did when it was three years old when I bought it - with a new one (same as the headlights that were hopeless even after a refurb made them look like new, fitted new ones and they're fantastic again). Best of luck!

Clio 172 phase 1
I know but my theory is for now a 2nd hand one will get me by a few months if it only lasted 3k would be ideal :) agreed on headlamps tho no amount of sanding and polishing seems to make mine any better really

Ph1
Its worth stripping it down and re-oiling with the PTFE stuff. Mine having been on its way out approx 9 months or so ago is still going strong.

Think their over 400 quid from Renault now :quiet:

Clio 172 phase 1
It's not the spring it's the actual butterfly it's moved and you can see on the housing where it's catching it's ground a bit away I'd sand it off but then it's going to screw it up ...

Ph1
Its usually the spring that loses its tension, expands as a result and rubs on the black cable housing causing the TB to hold open. I just cut the black bit away where it was catching, took the whole thing to bits and PTFE oiled it up and its been fine since.

Clio 172 phase 1
Yeh I've checked all that it's all been cleaned and cleaned again :( when opening the throttle you can hear it grinding against the housing .... For what I've seen I'll get another one and it'll be nice to have one in the shead I suppose

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It's not the spring it's the actual butterfly it's moved and you can see on the housing where it's catching it's ground a bit away I'd sand it off but then it's going to screw it up ...

That sounds like someone has removed the throttle plate and refitted it incorrectly TBH. They look circular but when measured with a micrometer they're not. I had this on a Meg RS recently just before I went away showing a generic throttle track fault. It turned out the owner had *attempted* to clean it and reassembled it incorrectly causing it to seize in the barrel which was generating the fault code and throttle problems.