ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

7 hour monaco detail

E87 118d M Sport
Now that the winters over (he says) I wanted to clean the 172 up, remove all of the salt etc, and seal her in ready for the summer.
Ive been.....collecting products over the past few months and with the arrival of the clay kit, tyre shine and bumper restorer, I took the day off and had an extreme detail.

Here are the products used:

SNV82597.jpg

After hoovering and washing (using the 2-bucket method obviously), the intent was to remove the number plates for the arrival of the new ones, but they didnt turn up, so I decided to prep the recesses and get it ready for tomoro (they best come tomoro grrr)

SNV82606.jpg

SNV82607.jpg

after ALOT more effort than I thought they would take, the sticky pads were no more

SNV82609.jpg

SNV82608.jpg

Claying:
I must admit I was a tad sceptical about the claying. Ive read alot about it, and heard it is very effective, but can never say Ive seen a car that has been freshly clayed, or experienced a before/after scenario.
I decided to keep one of the clay bars for another time, and focus on the body work, then the windows, then the wheels. I kept the clay in a bucket of hot water between wipes, and had a towel under the panel incase I dropped it, but I didnt.
After a few of the panels, i.e. rear quarter, and top of the wing etc, this was the result I was getting from the clay:

SNV82610.jpg

and then after working down the car, the bottoms of the doors and the roof were a bit dirtier:

SNV82614.jpg

After finishing the claying, I couldnt believe how smooth the paint was. It reali does feel like glass. I am so glad I spent the time doing it, as it is a time consuming process. It took around 2 hours from start to finish including the windows and wheels.

Polishing:
The paintwork on the car isnt too bad, so I decided to apply 2 coats of SRP. I inspected every panel, and tbh couldnt see any swirls, but then I was only looking in daylight. maybe under halogens it would show up more detail, but very impressed with the progress. Also polished the alloys with one coat.

Waxing:
EGP was the wax of choice, and after applying to the body and wheels, shuts etc, I left for an hour to cure

SNV82629.jpg

By this time I was dreading buffing off the wax. I know it is an energy sapping process, but not too long later job done. (then onto dusting all of the powder off the car lol)

the reflection in the paint is pretty impressive in my opinion. It wasnt the sunniest of days, but this came out quite well:

SNV82678.jpg

Having used alot of tyre blacking sprays in the past, I decided on meguiars endurance tyre gel this time round, and Ive got to be honest, it is truly amazing stuff. Applied it using an old spongy shoe polishing buffer (that I kept for this reason) and it worked pefectly. After 2 coats:

SNV82641.jpg

Took a pic of the engine bay as I spent a little while touching it up (although i usually clean it everyweek with the car)

SNV82657.jpg

Thought I'd add a pic of the interior too, as I leather wiped the recaros, and went over the alcantara with a damp cloth (no products)

SNV82654.jpg

very impressed with the result. and after seeing it and then seeing the pictures, it was well worth spending the day doing. Im glad I spent the money and got some good products.

SNV82650.jpg

the money shot:

SNV82645.jpg

thanks for reading =D

edit - im nakered lol

Last edited:
  Bumder With A Buffer
What a Monaco should look like IMO nice and clean :)

Very nice dude... did you say you put 2 coats of EGP on??

Mine from a few weeks ago :)

02052009674.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
BTW, EGP, just your seal, not a wax. Although a number of people prefer seals to wax's!

E87 118d M Sport
yeah i read up about the types of protection coats. Ive heard that EGP works reali well with SRP (strange that aint it lol) and have had reali good results with it in the past. more so than wax, and more experience with it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Glad to see her being looked after fella. Such a nice colour, glows in the sun! Have to meet up for some pics.

120d M Sport
Great car, great job aswell. SRP and EGP is a very good combo imo. Oh and these look so good without the plates!

E87 118d M Sport
my understanding is that polish is an abrasive, and will fill swirls. the EGP is just a sealant. i could be wrong.

Cupra
Top results. Its always rewarding to stand back and look at your car after a marathon cleaning session, then heart braking when it is in exactly the same state it was a couple of days later.

Northern Will

ClioSport Club Member
  Recaro'd Red Box
Not gonna lie, those pics made me slightly hot after looking through.

Job well done fella, she looks immense

That looks spot on Mark, well played.

Just to clear this up, polishes take away layers of lacquer. SRP is a very mild abrasive polish so will get rid of waxes etc etc, but will barely touch swirls or scratches. It also contains fillers, meaning it will fill the swirls and make the paint work look better for a few weeks. You don't layer a polish. More SRP will just rub out the old.

EGP is a layer product. It should therefore be put on in a layering method, i.e. swiped across, not "swirled" in lol.

But mate, horses for courses with a wash and a polish to be fair. You can spend all day saying this and that's wrong, as long as it looks good, and that sure as hell does, I wouldn't care :)

Great results, beauty of a car :)