ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

"79 Mk1 Scirocco".. 1272cc Carburetor Turbo Project

awesome mods again.... loving the low commitment.
tried getting you on fb earlier

I will be doing more to make it more driveable this low once the winter hits. I Will reply on FB in a sec dude.

love it winstona :D

Thanking you.. :D

That Jetta transformation is unreal!

Looking good too mate. Pity that you can't make it to the Manchester meeting on the 3rd.

Cheers man, yeah im gutted I can't bring it to the meet, deffo the next one :)

I liked it left original!
Here are pictures of when I purchased the car back in January 2004 from the original (old dear) owners son. It had been on ebay two or three times without much interest.
Originally it was a 1.6 auto with 60K on the clock. <
Enjoying watching the rebuild!
Ben

Wow!.. Thank you for taking the time to sign up and post Ben. The interior looks brand new in those pictures!! its still only on about 70k now. Cheers for the pictures :approve:

Mint rides.

I do miss the vw 'scene' but must admit, I found it a little snobby at times.

Cheers dude :D

It depends which circles you mix with tbh as above the caddy forum is very very down to earth and most other model specific forums are anything but snobby. I have kept this car pretty low key on the "scene" I wonder what they will make of it? haha

I have had it fully road legal since friday but not driven it much. I have snapped an exhaust manifold bolt trying to stop it from blowing so that needs drilling out and the gearbox is making metalic type noises at idle so I might have to 4 speed it to get to edition38 safely.

It does sounds dope, I love boost and compressor stall <3

Edition 38 updates...

I thought I was on easy street its 2 weeks till edition38 show and shine, the cars taxed, MOT'd and Insured. Im left with ironing out the niggles and cleaning....... Nothing is ever that simple haha.

On the first night of testing the engine is shaking the car to bits (I assumed it was the poly engine mounts). It had a loud knocking coming from the off side wheel, it was that bad it felt like the wheel was going to fall off. I fitted a new driveshaft and hub on the offside, this made no difference so I changed the pair on the nearside and the problem was still there. This left me thinking the diff had gone in the G40 gearbox. I fitted a 4 speed 1.3 golf box, the release bearing didn't work with the g40 clutch (doh). I then leant and fitted a Polo GT 5 speed. It still knocked!!!!!

Its now the tuesday before edtion38. I removed my front gearbox mount and the knock was alot better but still worrying.
The car had got slower on every outting, the exhaust had got ridiculously loud and it had started running on 3 cylinders. This was down to the plug in cylinder one being covered in oil... Oh no the rings have gone on piston one!!!! Alot of things now make sense.

Wednesday night the car has to make edition 38!!. The only option is to fit all the turbo stuff to the old 1.3 engine out of my mates Mk1 jetta and run it on low boost. I phoned my friend Arun in the day to see if he still had the saab dizzy needed to run an ignition amp and he did (HERO).. It was game on by the end of the night 5am the new engine was in and mostly plumbed in with only a minor niggle to get it running left.

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Thurday afternoon.. I get all the niggles sorted and come to start it. After alot of faffing with the ignition timing it fires up but the inlet is exhaust heated on an early 1.3, I had cut this off the inlet because it fuled the G40 head. so this left exhaust fumes pissing out the head haha. This was solved with a quick manifold swap. With this sorted I came to fire it up again but with more timing faffing it would not fire up. Morale is very low and thoughts of missing another edition38 again are looming....

Its now early friday morning. Ive even got the Haynes manual out!!! This led me to look at timming marks and they were wrong, the bottom end was a tooth out (this was why it was hard to start in the Jetta) I lined it all up and recharged the battery.... It fires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right!!!! I best go get my camping stuff ready and fit my wheels and slam it for its tracking, no sleep for me haha

We pull onto the motorway friday dinner time and the knock is still there but very faint FFS.. A friends engine blew up and set on fire on the M6 Toll so it was towed via A roads the rest of the way. We arrived at the camp site at about 6pm.

Was it worth all the effort?.... f**k YEAH!!!!!!!!

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2352-1.jpg

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Walked passed this and I'm pretty sure you were fidling with it at the time. Love the oldskool turbo set up. Reminds me of things I was doing to Mini's a few years ago.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Looked so awesome on the day. Sounds like you had some good fun getting it going too!

same sex marrige comes to mind ;)

You need to divorce your lensos first, its me or them ;)

almost as big as my rebuild before lemans. thats how we salford boys do! x

fantastic work

I was very much the same as you. If the car doesn't go.. I don't go!!!!

Thanks Naith :approve:

Awesome motor!

Cheers dude

Walked passed this and I'm pretty sure you were fidling with it at the time. Love the oldskool turbo set up. Reminds me of things I was doing to Mini's a few years ago.

I think I would have been removing gravel from the engine bay haha. I did do alot of reading on mini forums before starting the conversion. Cheers man!

Looked so awesome on the day. Sounds like you had some good fun getting it going too!

Cheers Jason, would you say its lower than it looks the pictures ?.. The roof is the same height as my hip lol <3

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
Old Skool VW FTMFW! (I Exclude the Camper and Beetle in that though - sacks of crap!)

Cheers J.. I don't really need any bits but thanks for posting.. I do need a few repair panels, sills etc

This weekend I put my shiney wheels away for the winter... 1. because they leak like a b**ch and im sick of pumping them up as they need resealing.. 2. to gain some ground clearance. I have replaced them with some 5.5x14 Vauxhall corsa steels due to the high offset and ive replaced the front tyres with some 155/55/14's to give it a kind of aircooled look.

IMG_2496.jpg

IMG_2492.jpg

IMG_2503.jpg

Another side project ive started is polishing my G40 gearbox.. but im now not sure I want to go down this route now. I love the rusty patina engine look haha

IMG_2478.jpg

And the bearings on piston No1 from my dead G40 bottom end. Im yet to remove the other pistons :(

IMG_2459.jpg

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Haha, my mate used to rock those on a mk1 Jetta. Gotta love russian taxi trimzzzz!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
I'm officially last, both you and Chris got yours done before me. :( I've tried to do more today but can't, give up now

Hi 5.

Looks awesome.

Hi 5... Cheers man

Haha, my mate used to rock those on a mk1 Jetta. Gotta love russian taxi trimzzzz!

Latvian gangster trims....

the trims are h'amazing.......
salute

still got those mats for you...lol

Did you ever go players? Cheers dude

I'm officially last, both you and Chris got yours done before me. :( I've tried to do more today but can't, give up now

Enjoy your chill in bed ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  Red
Car looks great dude.

Only gripe i have is who the swearyword ruined Band Of Horses in the video? I R DISAPPOINT

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
They look great! Where did you get it? I've seen loads of people on ED38 with them.