ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

800 Miles: How to slow down & Cruise

Clio 197

Hi everyone...

Covered 800 miles in my 182 and loving it.

As part of my running-in technique, I have been constantly acc/decelerating, and slowing down using the engine.

Question1: At what mileage can I stop constantly varying RPM, as I want to start using the cruise control (motorway driving getting a bit tedious)

Question2: Should I keep slowing down using the engine, or can I stop doing that at some point?

Ta,

Oms.:devilish:

Im getting mine tomorrow and I intend to nail it from day one, just wont be going past 6k too often until it has a few hundred miles under it.

They normally quote a 1000-1500miles so you should be ok soon, mind you a mate of mine who bought a new BMW 320d was advised to thrash it from the start so it loosened up better...it has now done over 50,000 and well over half of them with a chip and never had a problem..

i wouldnt recommend pushing the engine past 70 or 80mph ina brand new clio. It might void the warranty as it says in the manual. U have to cover 600 or 6000 miles or something before you rev past 4500rpm. 182 is a beautful car but remmber its only a 2litre i wouldnt start using the engine to slow the car down till theres at least 2000miles on the clock.

i heard a story about some bloke who bought a lambo murcialgo, they said dont thrash the breaks till u cover 8000miles. Two days later the car caught fire because he didnt listen. Car was a right off. I think theres a pic of it on http://www.wreckedexotics.comwww.wreckedexotics.com (carefull theres pop ups on that site)

133/225/CLS AMG

They recommended in the manual for my 172 to not drive over 80mph or rev past 4.5k until over 600 miles.

Would have thought that is just in case but have heard a lot of people blast the hell out of theirs straight away! :D I was a wimp with mine though and waited for the 600 mile mark lol!

Yeah but how can you void the warranty? Not sure if Im barking up the wrong tree here, but does the ECU log RPM/mileage or something that Rebualt could use to fist you?

You should use your engine to slow down anyway, it gives you better controll, and you stop quicker. As far as i am aware, there is nothing written in your contract or the hand book that can void your warrenty if taken over so many rpm.

Quote: Originally posted by cabbagekitten on 18 January 2005

i wouldnt recommend pushing the engine past 70 or 80mph ina brand new clio. It might void the warranty as it says in the manual. U have to cover 600 or 6000 miles or something before you rev past 4500rpm. 182 is a beautful car but remmber its only a 2litre i wouldnt start using the engine to slow the car down till theres at least 2000miles on the clock.

i heard a story about some bloke who bought a lambo murcialgo, they said dont thrash the breaks till u cover 8000miles. Two days later the car caught fire because he didnt listen. Car was a right off. I think theres a pic of it on http://www.wreckedexotics.comwww.wreckedexotics.com (carefull theres pop ups on that site)

im sorry but how would they know ?

Quote: Originally posted by cabbagekitten on 18 January 2005

i heard a story about some bloke who bought a lambo murcialgo, they said dont thrash the breaks till u cover 8000miles. Two days later the car caught fire because he didnt listen.
Renault dont know how you drive the car the ECU doesnt keep logs like a Porsche etc. Best give the car some stick dealers/manurfacturers dont care about power mpg or oil burn, only warently claims and crashes so tell us to go easy. Since the car will most likly break in the first few k they tell us to keep it down so if it did break it wouldnt cost as much to fix.

As for the murcialogo sound like the bloke just killed the brake would have happened if the car had 50k when he picked it up of 1 mile.

Anywa the 2.0 182 engine is a good engine why shouldnt it be caned to an inch of its life? Its a strong big engine in a light car. It will go almost forever with servicing.

Renault cannot refuse warently work unless you realy damages the car ie drop it into second at 140mph etc and melted the box etc.