ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98 ron sticker behind petrol flap

RB Clio 182
As above, my 182 has a green sticker saying 98 ron recommended behind the petrol flap. I do use tesco 99 anyway but im just wondering if every 182 has this sticker? Thanks.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Yep, mine has. Strangely, having used various fuel types/brands, I still find 95ron seems to work best?!

RB 182 Cup
I can honestly say I notice no difference at all between 95 or 98/99 RON fuel.

Just as smooth / rough on either, same fuel economy, no discernible difference in power, no pinking on 95.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
My MPG went up using V power. only by 2MPG but that pretty much balances out the extra you pay.
It also runs smoother on my car and is better for the engine.

I find mine runs better on 98/99 Ron fuel...

I accept that it might all be physiological but ultimately the premium fuels (vpower specifically) are better for the longevity of your engine.

172 cup
I can honestly say I notice no difference at all between 95 or 98/99 RON fuel.

Just as smooth / rough on either, same fuel economy, no discernible difference in power, no pinking on 95.

Oh dear someone's just about to get their arse smacked by chip!

On a more serious note there was another thread on this and many people said 95 Ron can cause small amount of det, leading to damage

clio sold :(
I remember reading the higher the Ron the higher resistance to exploding/ harder to ignite.
Its so it only gets burnt when needed and not when entering the chamber

Plus on 5th gear they tested the fuels and got somthing like 4.6bhp increase from vpower on a golt gti

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
My 200 has only ever had Vpower. Mate of mine ran his on pov spec and his start up "kangeroo'ing" is a fair bit worse.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Mine idles better on higher octane than lower but once im moving there is no diference

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
My mileage versus cost data over several thousand miles for both Tesco 99 and 95 shows that the extra cost is more than offset by the extra mpg.

Engine unquestionably feels keener too, will tell for sure on the rolling road in a few weeks as the last run was on 95.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've ran all my cars on 95 ron 99% of the time. Probably noticed a slightly higher mpg on 99 ron, but that can easily be achieved with a lighter right foot.

Performance wise I don't think it makes the blind bit of difference to an N/A engine. Turbos are probably a different story though.

320d
I always run my 182 on Tesco 99. Used to run my ph1 172 on 95 though. Not sure how much difference it makes, just become habit to use 98+ now so I do.

GW Stage 2 R26
I never noticed any difference at all on my 182s etc or any N/A car. But the once I put 95 in my meg I had an injector misfire and would get above 22 mpg.. Never again

ST
So 99 RON is a marketing ploy? Damn, better tell the racecars who run 105, they'll be amazed how much they can save by using 95!

Read what you wrote - race cars that have been mapped to run specifically on 105 octane not a 2.0L n/a road car.

May I also add the fuel flap advises 95 to 98.

ST
The clios were mapped to run on 98, so where's the difference? (iirc)

Also I run an RSTuner map designed for 98Ron, still missing your point.

In my experience of having had a 182 and R27 then a 172 up until last year, no ecu mods right enough but the ecu will adapt to the fuel that you put in, whereas your car has been mapped to run on 98ron or better. I just think people get a bit wet over saying they out VPower in, BP Ultimate etc when the standard 2.0L engine will perform exactly the same on 95 give or take a few mpg.

In my experience of having had a 182 and R27 then a 172 up until last year, no ecu mods right enough but the ecu will adapt to the fuel that you put in, whereas your car has been mapped to run on 98ron or better. I just think people get a bit wet over saying they out VPower in, BP Ultimate etc when the standard 2.0L engine will perform exactly the same on 95 give or take a few mpg.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I didn't mean I noticed performance, just that it idled a lot smoother :)

Suzuki Jimny
Picked up my 200 with a tank of 95, kangaroo'd everywhere. Filled with vpower and hasn't done it since.

Clio 197
The usual can of worms !

In my limited experience of 182 ownership so far - had 2 tanks of 95, then a tank of 99. No difference in mpg , idle or performance , more testing needed maybe but I wont be worrying my head about having to put 98+ Ron in , if I had a turbo it would be a different story !

RB 182
also, I agree with what's already been said - spending an extra £2 per tank to fill it with VPower really isn't breaking the bank.

RB Clio 182
It burns slightly hotter, which gives all of these ^ results in small amounts. Plus it keeps the engine 'cleaner'.

I was under the impression the higher the octane the cooler it is which helps keep internal parts cooler causing less damage etc, i maybe wrong.

The usual can of worms !

In my limited experience of 182 ownership so far - had 2 tanks of 95, then a tank of 99. No difference in mpg , idle or performance , more testing needed maybe but I wont be worrying my head about having to put 98+ Ron in , if I had a turbo it would be a different story !

You would need a few full tanks to flush the 95 completely out and let the ecu adjust before you would tell any difference (if any in a n/a car)

Arctic 182
Never usually notice a difference in mine - but try to run it on V power mostly (just for the shell points)...

RB 182 FF
The higher the Octane the less volatile the explosion which means basically it explodes when it's fully compressed by the piston under spark when the piston is ready to travel down, lower octane can prematurely explode under compression(because compression causes heat) when the piston is still travelling up causing inefficiency and potential damage..... Hope this makes sense.... :) At altitude the octane sold in stations can be as low as 85 I think as the air is less dense meaning less oxygen so needs a more volatile fuel to run efficiently.....

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
The higher the Octane the less volatile the explosion which means basically it explodes when it's fully compressed by the piston under spark when the piston is ready to travel down, lower octane can prematurely explode under compression(because compression causes heat) when the piston is still travelling up causing inefficiency and potential damage..... Hope this makes sense.... :) At altitude the octane sold in stations can be as low as 85 I think as the air is less dense meaning less oxygen so needs a lesser volatile fuel to run efficiently.....

What petrol do you use Einstein? :p