ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

981 Boxster S. My first Porsche.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So last weekend, Sarah & I bought our first car together :up:
Its something i've wanted for as long as i can remember & she has always (jokingly) said that she'd "rather have a Porsche than a massive UK wedding". Best fiance ever?!
With that in mind, on Sat 17th, we visited a couple of garages, worked out our ideal spec, decided on how much we'd like to spend, then started to look, no rush, we'd wait for the perfect car. We had specific spec requirements & only wanted one colour, but for what was to be a very big purchase for us, it had to be right. Then on Friday 30th at 5pm the perfect car appeared on Autotrader, we viewed it at 11am on Sat 1st & had bought it 2 hours later, oops :tongueclosed:
We collected it last Saturday - OMG, i grinned literally all day, one of the best days of my life, we'd actually bought a Porsche!!
I nearly bought a 987 last year, but it wasn't quite right, id always wish id saved a little longer to get the one i really wanted, in my eyes, one of the best looking cars on sale today, for me, the pinnacle of realistic achievement, if only for a short while until we buy a bigger house!!
So with all our other friends getting married, buying bigger houses & getting pregnant/having kids, let me introduce our new baby, Jeff :cool:
IMG_8754_zps8iq6t1ov.jpg

IMG_8755_zpsxffcd96e.jpg

IMG_8756_zps3qpm9btm.jpg

IMG_8752_zpsr5oory3f.jpg
IMG_8759_zps4bx7vqew.jpg

IMG_8760_zpsulhzob6e.jpg

IMG_8749_zpsn04bypbf.jpg

Its a Guards Red 981 Boxster S manual with heated/ventilated Sports seats, Sport Design steering wheel, Sports Chrono, PASM, PCM, Bose, Dynamic Xenons & 20" Carrera Classic. Probably a few other bits & bobs too, but i haven't got the full spec from Porsche yet.
I enjoyed the M3, but well, this is an entirely different kettle of fish. What a car!

Z4
The price tag?

Haha, well yes.

But you do get what you pay for.
The badge alone carries massive amounts of prestige, but the reputation and price tag isn't unfounded; the build quality, refinement and driver focus are next level. I totally 'get' the whole Porsche thing.

I prefer the engine in the M3 by a fair margin, but the Porsche takes the crown for the rest.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Ooooooh, nice nice nice.
Thanks Mark, & everyone else!!!
We are mega chuffed with it :smiley:
I'm not into Porsche's, is that the same as DKs?
Its very similar i guess, the GTS has a different bodykit, interior trim & a PSE, but this almost there, for a lot less £££'s.
Lovely!
I wish my mrs had the same view on cars/weddings 😞
Ha ha, Sarah's the best!
Lovely. Correct gearbox, great colour.
Cheers, manual box was a must for us, Sarah didnt want a PDK and for me, a flat 6 with a manual box was a definite, esp with most modern Porsches now having turbo's/flappy paddles!
a) You have too much money.
b) Wrong gearbox
c) Did you PX the M3?
a) Its the house fund :tongueclosed:
b) correct gearbox
c) yes, they offered what you suggested, & it needed a service/MOT

@Hans.
You sir, are a legend, i had hoped that with it being a more "drivers" spec with the sports seats/manual/PASM/SC, but no fancy leather bits, this was specced as a bit of a "purists" machine, so the locking diff might be on there, & yes it is. Amazing!! :stig:

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I was looking at 987 Boxsters this year and while they're nice. The 981 makes them look so old. Good choice!

Looks like a weapon. Are you running this as your daily?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
You bit the bullet then Dave?!

Great choice, it looks fantastic mate.

Leon Cupra 300
That's really nice, I really like the wheels.

How do you find the gearing, is it too long like a lot of reviews?

Skoda Fabia VRS
Awesome motor, good colour choice too.
My only critique, the Steering wheel. I just don't find it as appearing as I imagine it should be.

But then again, I drive a Transit Connect and Saxo VTS...

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Lovely Dave when it comes to servicing time let me know think I can still get you looked after if you want main dealer :)

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome. They look incredible in the flesh.
But I'm disappointed you hadn't worked out for yourself that it had a diff! Sideways round the first corner from picking it up! Or at least a rolling burnout [emoji23]

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lovely mate! Feels an age ago I was out in one! The best looking Boxster by a long long way! Best colour, wrong box and the wheels are always marmite... an inch too big... which for a driver like yourself I imagine you might notice.

Never felt uncomfortable but I could feel they were bigger than normal.

Great purchase and a perfect 2 seater! Sarah still have the TT?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's a na, mid engined sports car. A car you buy for pleasure first, commutting and practical concerns clearly take a back seat. If you're buying a fun car for interaction, why on earth would hobbling it with a slush box be better?

Changing gear with a decent manual is fun. It's fun at any speed, and regardless of how quick/efficient/smooth a dsg, the act of changing gear isn't fun.

On track, paddles work. On something monumentally fast, paddles are great. But the 2 best Road cars porsche has recently made, are manual. Only manual, no auto option. The best track cars porsche make, are massively fast, and auto only.

There's a reason for that.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't enjoy changing gear in a manual car.

Reactions: dk