ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

981 Boxster S. My first Porsche.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
When's it for sale?
Or are you genuinely head over heels for now at least?
Ha ha, we're both head over heels with it!!
Re: timescales, Sarah has said we are never selling - i've said we'll keep it until we need a family house (probably 18 months to 2 years).
I was informed (jokingly?) "you need to work harder so we don't need to sell it" 😂

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Looks brilliant, I'm sure it's great to drive too. Modern cars (in the last 5 years) are great, better dynamics than ever and finally getting the finishing touches with nice toys.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The fact I had to turn my headphones down immediately when I pressed play says a no from me lol. It's not like they're quiet from Porsche! Yours has the PSE right?

Lovely lovely car :) I can't believe I've only just seen this thread haha!

Porsche FRIENDSSSS

I really like the wheels, my mate has them on his Cayman S.

Brakes on the 981 are so much better than the 987!!

You need to get short shift fitted if you don't already have it? Couldn't see it listed. It's only a couple hundred quid and it's done at the dealer. Well worth it!

Also, get cruise control put on there as well. Another cheap option to add on and worth having for long journeys.

Nice to see it's got Xenons too. A must have for me. The lights are poor without them in my opinion.

Carnewall exhaust is a very good idea. Better than PSE and apparently it's unnoticeable to the dealer looks wise. So 'shouldn't' ever cause warranty issues.

Will keep you updated with any Porsche meets/track days too if you like. Seeing as we aren't too far apart.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
The fact I had to turn my headphones down immediately when I pressed play says a no from me lol. It's not like they're quiet from Porsche! Yours has the PSE right?
Nah, mine doesn't have the PSE, so is fairly quiet actually! Roof up you get a lot of induction noise, but roof down you can't hear anything bar the wind. Being the homo that i am, as i only drive it for "special" that means the roof is down for pretty much every drive!! I'd like a PSE, but its circa £1800 to have one fitted, for what is effectively a different box & a switch on the dash :laughing:

Quiet thread is quiet.
Why? Because this car does everything right out of the box
Yeah, pretty much. Its brilliant. I feel very very lucky to have been able to buy it tbh. Sarah is quite simply an awesome fiance :up:

Lovely lovely car :) I can't believe I've only just seen this thread haha!
Porsche FRIENDSSSS
I really like the wheels, my mate has them on his Cayman S.
Brakes on the 981 are so much better than the 987!!
You need to get short shift fitted if you don't already have it? Couldn't see it listed. It's only a couple hundred quid and it's done at the dealer. Well worth it!
Also, get cruise control put on there as well. Another cheap option to add on and worth having for long journeys.
Nice to see it's got Xenons too. A must have for me. The lights are poor without them in my opinion.
Carnewall exhaust is a very good idea. Better than PSE and apparently it's unnoticeable to the dealer looks wise. So 'shouldn't' ever cause warranty issues.
Will keep you updated with any Porsche meets/track days too if you like. Seeing as we aren't too far apart.
Ha ha, Porsche Fwends :tongueclosed:
Re: the wheels, i actually wanted the Carrera S ones originally, but then in person, i think i prefer the Classics!
Cruise control is now on, i got Cridfords to fit it as part of the deal. Short shift might be an idea, but the throw isnt something thats bothered me yet really, the slightly shorter gearstick of the Spyder is probably on the list of wants though. The xenons are really good actually, cornering lights are very cool as well :cool: Carnewal is tempting me, its basically the Porsche version of the "2 pipe" mod on my e90 M3 and that was a great addition. Also £500 vs. £1800 ... but then again, this is a car that actually is so good out of the box (as alluded to above), it doesnt really need any messing about with :car: ===

Can't you modify the standard exhaust @Sir_Dave

£1800 seems a bit steep!

You could but then you'd invalidate any warranty it had too. £1800ish is the price for the Porsche main dealer to supply and fit it all, as well as the valves and button on the dash to open and close these.

The carnewel system/mod uses the standard box skeleton and improves the internals. £500

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Ah seems fair then, I wish I had a valve put in mine to have it silly loud when I wanted! The video above sounds great but don't think I'd want it all the time

Ah seems fair then, I wish I had a valve put in mine to have it silly loud when I wanted! The video above sounds great but don't think I'd want it all the time

The official Porsche Sports Exhaust is great. But you never turn it off to be honest. It's not intrusive or droney at all.

The Carnewal system sounds like the PSE, just better. But that is all the time and not switchable (no idea how it would be on motorway)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No real updates on this, bar the fact that i still think i'm dreaming when i look out the window & its sat there looking back at me.

19424678_1713437275625075_4305988942290747392_n.jpg

Difficult to describe the feeling this car gives when you drive it really, but for someone like me, that favours precision & poise over big power & sideways antics, its quite simply perfection, the way it flows down the road at speed is truly astonishing. That, combined with the grin on my face from simply owning the thing, means that its nigh on impossible to feel sad or grumpy when i'm around it, such is the power of the things you :hearteyes: i guess.

Whilst many say that you should never meet your heroes, for me, that elusive Guards Red Porsche has been well worth the wait :up:

TLDR/text too homo: Car is awesome. Everyone should buy one. Makes you happy.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Dave gushing about a car? Why do i feel a for sale advert coming? (;
@Budgie Ha ha, no chance. The RS3 on the other hand
whistle.gif

I guess if you own an RS3, you need something sharp in the garage to counter it.
Hitler was an avid gardener, for example.
Needs spacers.
lol. <3 your stanzs
At least your car is a pretty colour to make up for it :kissingheart:

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
@Sir_Dave would you recommend a Cayman 981 over a 997 911.

I've always wanted a 911 and what I should have to spend on one next year puts me in 997 territory.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave would you recommend a Cayman 981 over a 997 911.
I've always wanted a 911 and what I should have to spend on one next year puts me in 997 territory.

@Short Legs As it happens, despite being a child of the 80's and having a Guards Red 911 on my wall as a kid, I didn't actually test drive a 997! By the time we'd got to the point of affording the Porsche, we wanted a soft-top and well, the 911 cab is just horrible looking :mask:

With that in mind, it was always going to be a Boxster, was just a case of finding the right engine/spec/colour combo and naturally, blowing the initial budget out of the water 😂

However, my thoughts re: Cayman/911 are thus ... for the money we paid for this, you either get a (fairly) current 981 with modern technology & engines, or its a 997 which, bar a few cosmetic changes and engines that blow up slightly less, is a car that was first launched in 2004! For me, unless you desperately need 4 seats, or its a GT2/GT3/Turbo/R you're looking at, id always buy a 981 Cayman over a 911 :up:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm going to disagree with Dave. The 997 is more exciting, and there are cheaper ways to come out than buying a pink convertible xx

B9 Audi A4 Sport
These are so much more appealing than the new 718 Boxster. I'm really not sure i could have a 4-cylinder Porsche. That 6-cylinder rasp is a huge part of the ownership proposition for me.

@Short Legs The issue with the 997's are in fact the potential problems. My old man recently bought one but luckily it had not long had a full engine rebuild before he purchased it. It also had some work on the gearbox, as it's a TipTronic.

Many will tell you that the issues are less common than you think because you're always going to hear more about the people that have had problems as apposed to those that don't. I'm not so sure on that tbh.

Either be prepared to cough up for it if/when it does happen or save up for a 997.2, which i believe pretty much rectified the engine issues. There is quite a significant jump in price though to get one of those.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Couple more months of Porsche ownership under our belt & we've now had the car for just over a year :up:
Had the MOT done recently and we've done a monumental 3k miles ...
37570240605_fa5cd4bb57_k.jpg
Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
Some rather lovely company as well :hearteyes: Naturally, no issues to report, makes a change to have a car without emissions problems :tongueclosed:

Unfortunately, despite me leaving enough space next to our neighbour for her to open her Golf's door completely, she has smacked it back so hard on our poor little car that there is now a ruddy great big dent in the door that needs to be repaired :disrelieved: She kindly admitted fault straight away (i guess she had to, it never gets left anywhere lol), but she doesnt have any money to get it fixed, so we'll have to find a VERY good PDR man to fix it.
37741984774_ac43c0f164_k.jpg
  • Any suggestions in Surrey would be appreciated, money not really an object, it has to be 100% :up:
Not gonna lie, but listening to her standing there saying "i cant see a dent" on our beautifully clean, immaculate condition Porsche, that we saved for flipping years for, was possibly the most angry i have ever felt, in my entire life. How can people be so careless :rage:

Due to the above, we then bought a cover, so hopefully that'll keep it a little safer!!
38400715196_24707e3d0a_k.jpg

Other than that, i just need to drive it more tbh, its always an event to drive, but lately Sarah has been using it far more than me!

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
That cover is cringe.
reminds me of that scene in friends with Joey and the pile of cardboard boxes.
edit - beat me to it

@Sir_Dave apart from the obvious, is there any reason you went for the Boxster over the Cayman. The Cayman 981 prices are starting to drop to around 30k which is quite tempting.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I would have punched the woman in the face. I cannot stand people that do that. Just because you don't give a s**t about your own stuff, at least have the decency to be careful with other people's things. I would be mortified if I damaged someone else's car and would sell my own car if I couldn't afford to pay for the repair. Blows my mind how little some people care about others.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
reminds me of that scene in friends with Joey and the pile of cardboard boxes.@Sir_Dave apart from the obvious, is there any reason you went for the Boxster over the Cayman. The Cayman 981 prices are starting to drop to around 30k which is quite tempting.
Ha ha, by all accounts, the logo falls off after about 3 months anyways, so its not the end of the world!
Sarah's dad has all sorts of problems with aftermarket/custom car covers not fitting his XKR, so OEM made the most sense to me.

Couple of reasons for the Boxster over the Cayman:
1. Cant get the roof down on the Cayman
2. Sarah's brother has one ...
24585842548_aa3b4dcd39_k.jpg
That's it lol.

I would have punched the woman in the face. I cannot stand people that do that.
Tell me about it!!
She told Sarah originally, who was umm, probably even more pi55ed off than me 🙈

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I would have punched the woman in the face. I cannot stand people that do that. Just because you don't give a s**t about your own stuff, at least have the decency to be careful with other people's things. I would be mortified if I damaged someone else's car and would sell my own car if I couldn't afford to pay for the repair. Blows my mind how little some people care about others.

You wouldn’t actually punch a woman in the face though, would you?