ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

981 Boxster S. My first Porsche.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
No I do enjoy a nice drive. I'm not a good fast driver and I don't dislike manuals... I've had plenty of them. But my fast GT style car would never be a manual.

A trip to Europe in the Boxster... give me the PDK.

997.1, Caddy, e208
Really nice, I wish I had a 981, such better looking cars than the 987 (which I still think is nice) - best colour too ;)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No I do enjoy a nice drive. I'm not a good fast driver and I don't dislike manuals... I've had plenty of them. But my fast GT style car would never be a manual.

A trip to Europe in the Boxster... give me the PDK.
Think we disagree at a fundamental level! Long trips involving large amounts of motorway work are exactly when I don't see the value of autos.

I think modern drivers have become a bit lazy, dare I say it, soft? Any modern manual is an absolute pussycat to use compared to fast stuff in the 80/90s. Light clutch pedals, easy shift quality. A new m3, 911 etc have a manual shift that's easier to use than a mk2 golf.

Driving the e46 through Paris traffic was a doddle, I've never, ever been driving and thought "oooft this is a bit too difficult, my leg hurts".

But maybe I'm a dinosaur. In 15yrs I'll probably be in the minority driving a na manual, wearing a watch that only tells the time, listening to 90's music

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Looks like a weapon. Are you running this as your daily?
Nah, the mini is being used day to day, so this is just for "special occasions" hopefully, which is why having the M3 seemed a little daft.

You bit the bullet then Dave?!
Great choice, it looks fantastic mate.
Yes, we decided that going for it now was sensible, we pondered buying a bigger house, but with our mortgage fix until October, it was just too much of a faff, getting no interest in my ISA (0.5% lol), so made sense to enjoy it a little. As long as it depreciates at the level of the M3, i.e. circa £400 a month, it wont really cost any more to run ... its already saved me £150 in insurance & £25 a month in tax!

That's really nice, I really like the wheels.
How do you find the gearing, is it too long like a lot of reviews?
Thanks! I actually wanted the other style 20's, the carrera s ones, but these look better in real life than photos i think, have certainly grown on me! Gearing wise, i guess its a bit like the M3, top end of 2nd is 80 odd i think, so its a case of raz through 2nd, into 3rd, then short shift to 4th. Seems to have a lot more below 5k than the M3, but less above it, the engine on the M3 was biblical when up in the revs, just a bit difficult to keep it there legally ...

Nice!
How many miles?
32k miles, so maybe a little higher than other ones, but it had one owner from new (just under 4 years) till April when it was sold by Porsche, then a chap for 6 months & now us. The fact that it was an OPC car in April, had four brand new Pirelli N0 tyres fitted for us & had no history of (any) over-revs sold it to us, along with the spec/colour etc.

My only critique, the Steering wheel. I just don't find it as appearing as I imagine it should be.
I know what you mean, no multi-function is irritating for starters.
On the flipside, if you look at the other 981 wheels, you'll see why getting this one is essential!!

no body mentioned the key yet. I like......
Ha ha, great isnt it!! We're going to get the red sides for it so it matches the car 😌

Lovely Dave when it comes to servicing time let me know think I can still get you looked after if you want main dealer :smile:
Cheers Jamie, useful to know, we'll be wanting Porsche servicing + warranty at some point id imagine :up:

Great purchase and a perfect 2 seater! Sarah still have the TT?
Yes, she will never sell that, ever!!! Great for her i guess, she gets the benefit of a new car/Porsche, without any of the expense, or having to sell her beloved car lol.

f**king great purchase.
I really want one of these but it's out of my price range. Lovely car Dave.
Cheers Rob, have been working up to this for a long long time. Next car will most definitely be old, cheap & knackered, i.e. a return to normal 😂

LOL
Pics of seven trolley jacks and a twelve piston caliper to follow soon.
lol, this one is very much being left well alone!!! Owning a mini is more than enough heartache & faffing for one person to handle!!

Brilliant purchase and what a lovely car. I've been salivating over these on AT for a few months now. A three week old baby and new house has put pain to any 'large purchase' for a while though... Enjoy it mate.

Suzuki Jimny
Just seen a yellow one of these with the same wheels, such an improvement over the previous model!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lovely car, personally I wouldn't buy anything other than PDK, the gearbox is the best I've ever used, one of the best features IMO.

Also shame it doesn't have the sports exhaust, you can get it retro fitted.

I've had mine a year now and it's bloody brilliant, still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, very glad I didn't upgrade to the 911.
Mines held its value amazingly too, there's only a handful for sale, and they're all very high, mine cost 69k and there's lesser specced slighter older ones for sale at 65k!
Never had a car that's hardly depreciated before, the 718 being a turbo 4 and losing the sound has had exactly the effect I was hoping for.

Enjoy it!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Lovely! They do look great, the shape is just perfect IMO.

Top work. How long you keeping yours for before House? I ask as I did the same thing with a 911 and completely underestimated how much it would lose / cost in 18 months 😂

I don't regret it though and would do it again in a heart beat. Yours makes me want one, badly.

But I suspect you've got a full and detailed spreadsheet with an optimism bias factor!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
No real updates, but we've now owned this for 2 months/600 miles, mostly just pootling around surrey with the roof down and a couple of motorway drives down to Basingstoke/Oxford. Will hopefully get to stretch its legs a little on the way home to Penzance on Saturday :up:

Sarah has now driven the car a couple of times, with her going off by herself (for the first time) yesterday afternoon to go see friends - needless to say, despite all of my other car choices over the years, she has never once actively wanted to borrow any of them 😂

This either proves that the Boxster is indeed a girls car, or that having a Porsche does actually impress woman :tongueclosed:
IMG_3584_zpsign2duyi.jpg

But yes, it deffo needs a good clean!!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Lovely car, personally I wouldn't buy anything other than PDK, the gearbox is the best I've ever used, one of the best features IMO.

Also shame it doesn't have the sports exhaust, you can get it retro fitted.

I've had mine a year now and it's bloody brilliant, still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, very glad I didn't upgrade to the 911.
Mines held its value amazingly too, there's only a handful for sale, and they're all very high, mine cost 69k and there's lesser specced slighter older ones for sale at 65k!
Never had a car that's hardly depreciated before, the 718 being a turbo 4 and losing the sound has had exactly the effect I was hoping for.

Enjoy it!
Were you on the m40 North bound on Saturday?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave I'm surprised you're able to post? Surely you're laid up in bed with a painful/sore left leg? Going off some of the replies, a modern car with 3 pedals sounds like some form of medieval torture.
You poor thing :wink:
Ha ha. Luckily for me, i also have a Mini with a clutch made out of "god knows what, but its blooming heavy" stuff, so i'm surviving ok.
I guess whats even more worrying in modern times ... ignoring the 3 pedals ... there's no parking sensors OMG HOW DO YOU PARK?!

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Ha ha. Luckily for me, i also have a Mini with a clutch made out of "god knows what, but its blooming heavy" stuff, so i'm surviving ok.
I guess whats even more worrying in modern times ... ignoring the 3 pedals ... there's no parking sensors OMG HOW DO YOU PARK?!
It's almost like you're really involved in driving it. Must be bizarre.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I think I saw you! Looks great, nice bit of winter grime!
Thanks. Definitely needs a wash, will get one over xmas.

People keep asking me what I'm getting next but it puts a serious smile on my face every time I get in it, it's such an awesome machine. So far it's cost me very little too, I've done 12k miles in 16 months and it's cost me petrol and a litre of oil. No service yet, no new tyres.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thanks. Definitely needs a wash, will get one over xmas.

People keep asking me what I'm getting next but it puts a serious smile on my face every time I get in it, it's such an awesome machine. So far it's cost me very little too, I've done 12k miles in 16 months and it's cost me petrol and a litre of oil. No service yet, no new tyres.
Until you need more space, there's not much about that would be an improvement.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So Christmas meant taking the Porsche home to my parents in the deepest, darkest, depths of Cornwall.
As expected, a rather lovely drive home, the car really does cruise down the motorway nicely, cabrios have certainly come long way in terms of refinement since the Z3M!! The in-car technology is also great, headlights turn with the steering, the instrument binnacle shows all the info you could ever need & i can plug my phone in (or via bluetooth) & listen to/stream music and control everything from the car. Maybe these things are fairly normal, but all a first for me, so very cool 😌 The BOSE speakers are also incredible, sounding clear, bassy & clear with the roof up or down! Re: the roof, putting it up/down takes about 10 seconds and can be done up to about 30mph, so it probably went up/down 4/5 times on the way home - closed at motorway speeds, then down as soon as i was travelling at 65 or less, it does get a little cold/windy above that!
Literally dark depths of Cornwall:
IMG_3703_zpsx8got3gx.jpg

Not an ideal driveway for a Porsche 😂
IMG_3651_zps1z0zloqs.jpg

Next to the bangbus (mum & dads camper):
IMG_3650_zpswgvxlbhe.jpg

Naturally, i went for a few "drives" whilst at home, including the northern coast road from St. Ives to Morvah, which showed that well, the way the car flows down the road is quite simply incredible. The steering is perfectly weighted, the grip is astronomical and its more than punchy enough, with a lovely midrange making swift progress very easy. Further up the rev range, lets say at the redline in 2nd, the noise is spectacular. Braking is very very good. It makes the mini, which is a very well setup & modified hot hatch, feel like a bit of a turd if im honest, but for the money they cost, it should blooming well do!! The mini is very good fun however, but in an entirely different way.
IMG_3726_zpsnzw3bgra.jpg

All in all, im glad we've bought one, it is by far & away, the best car i have ever driven, probably the best we'll ever own and well, i dont think a car could ever make you feel this happy when you drive it. Daft really, but for someone who loves cars, its flipping magnificent :up: