ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

981 Boxster S. My first Porsche.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Do tell?
I need to get one for mine.
Such a great looking motor isn't it!!!
Just on ebay, right timing, paid less than £100 for 3 months old, barely used!
That'll polish out, may need a slight wetsand with 3000 grit first.
The marks should come out and ok if someone whos knows what they’re doing has a crack at it @Sir_Dave
Yeah, the scratches/her paint i've dealt with easily enough, its the " | " shaped vertical crease in the door its left behind that's the problem :neutral:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
A proper PDR will get that but the lacquer does look marked?

That cover though!!!!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Just on ebay, right timing, paid less than £100 for 3 months old, barely used!

Yeah, the scratches/her paint i've dealt with easily enough, its the " | " shaped vertical crease in the door its left behind that's the problem :neutral:
@Pacman. brother does a very decent job of PDR .. think a few bods have used him - @Phase1sr perhaps..? @Dr Jekyll ? .. Based in Harlow. Failing that IIRC, @Herr Flick (why does your name change daily!?) has a very good repair guy that he used to work with/for/or employed ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
@Pacman. brother does a very decent job of PDR .. think a few bods have used him - @Phase1sr perhaps..? @Dr Jekyll ? .. Based in Harlow. Failing that IIRC, @Herr Flick (why does your name change daily!?) has a very good repair guy that he used to work with/for/or employed ?
Yep, I've used Matt's brother twice now. First time on my PH1 where he did about 5 dents and once on the impreza where he fixed 3 dents.

Very happy with the work and a nice chap.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Sunny days are here again, so popped over to see a mates new Gul T5R. Its lush :hearteyes:

Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Got a video of the door dent as well. Still f*cks me off, so need to sort it out.

Other than that, its still flipping mega.
Have a trackday at Goodwood next month, plus it needs a minor service & brake fluid change.
Many £££'s required, luckily Sarah is now my wife, & the car is half hers, so she can pay 50% 😂

Last edited:

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
All quiet on the Boxster front, are you too busy enjoying driving it, or have you got other things on your plate at the moment?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
All quiet on the Boxster front, are you too busy enjoying driving it, or have you got other things on your plate at the moment?

Well, when you posted that, on August 5th, i was walking the Great Wall of China!!

But today i've been out for a drive, just prevaricating really, i should be working lol.

43278916260_1ef3f6e270_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

Realistically speaking, i need to consider selling it. Its only done 2k miles in it in 12 months & i haven't worked for 6 months ?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
So yesterday marked the end of our journey with the Boxster.

After 3 thoroughly enjoyable years, i had really began to question the amount of cash tied up in the car vs. the amount of use it was getting, so being that it wasnt likely to get much use over the winter either, i tentatively started offering it for sale to a few people that were interested on the Boxster forum, Pistonheads etc. That didnt really come to much, bar a few promises and timewasters who "wanted to get an inspection done" .. for one chap,this resulted in me cleaning the car with a fine toothcomb, not going home to Cornwall so that he could view it, then him ignoring my calls/whatsapps etc - you know, the usual muppets.

For me to sell it privately, it needed an MOT, brake pads on the front (+ possibly rear) and after checking it over the other day, possibly a PASM damper (say £1k all in), if i kept it until next April it would need a major service - maybe another £600 or so. Realistically, it was worth £32k retail, £30k privately, but id need to spend money to sell it. So all in all, when Ashgood Porsche made me a sensible offer (£2k more than Cridfords, who sold me the car in the first place), i took them up on it (y)

Personally, whilst i think this car is likely to be the pinnacle of my motoring journey, i can safely say that having had a poster of a Guards red Porsche on my wall throughout childhood (admitedly it was a 911), i've met my hero, driven it, owned it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Genuinely, if you ever get the opportunity to own a Porsche, do it, they really are as good as everyone says. There isnt an ///M, AMG, Audi RS or anything else that drives, or makes you feel the way owning a Porsche does. Especially if you buy a Cayman/Boxster 981, as they are actually pretty cheap to run!

Speaking of which, whilst im not at @MarkCup levels of geek, over the past 3 years, excluding fuel, its broken down as follows:

Depreciation £8,000
Servicing £410
Insurance £900
Tax £945
TOTAL £10,255
/ 35 Months = £293 per month
/ 7000 miles = £1.47 per mile

I didnt think that was too bad at all, certainly if you compare it to the other cars i could have bought/PCP'd/leased instead ...

48710529507_fcc5a5cb2d_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48710030873_4c0cafca41_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48710030883_c7a3069882_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
48710529542_0f3f717bfa_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

As i said to (the most upset and annoyed) Sarah last night "tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" 🥰

48710030853_78e630ea81_c.jpg
Untitled
by Sir_Dave, on Flickr

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Buying another Clio? Or a Mini? Or what about another 3-series? 😂

A shame it's come to the end of the road, but must be nice to have ticked a box!

TTRS & V50
8k depreciation in 3 years is really good. Especially when you bought from a dealership and sold back to a dealership. That's usually 8k the very next day...

Considering I don't know you, I'm almost certain a Boxster will not be the pinnacle of your motoring journey; i'll give it 12-24 months till it's topped.

I really need to scratch the Porsche itch, but the GT/RS cars cannot shake the premium over list, and I'm not going to fall for that trick, it's comparable to London house prices.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
@Sir_Dave given your 981 Boxster experience, what are your opinions on this?
Boxster S on AutoTrader

I'm very interested, the only option it doesn't have that I would like is the sports exhaust, but from reviews some people said that it just pops and bangs and isn't actually essential and can be retrofitted.

How important is the adjustable suspension?

It's hard finding the exact spec at the right price, so I am willing to compromise a bit, but I'm pretty set on guards red and needs to be PDK.

997.1, Caddy, e208
So yesterday marked the end of our journey with the Boxster.

After 3 thoroughly enjoyable years, i had really began to question the amount of cash tied up in the car vs. the amount of use it was getting, so being that it wasnt likely to get much use over the winter either, i tentatively started offering it for sale to a few people that were interested on the Boxster forum, Pistonheads etc. That didnt really come to much, bar a few promises and timewasters who "wanted to get an inspection done" .. for one chap,this resulted in me cleaning the car with a fine toothcomb, not going home to Cornwall so that he could view it, then him ignoring my calls/whatsapps etc - you know, the usual muppets.

For me to sell it privately, it needed an MOT, brake pads on the front (+ possibly rear) and after checking it over the other day, possibly a PASM damper (say £1k all in), if i kept it until next April it would need a major service - maybe another £600 or so. Realistically, it was worth £32k retail, £30k privately, but id need to spend money to sell it. So all in all, when Ashgood Porsche made me a sensible offer (£2k more than Cridfords, who sold me the car in the first place), i took them up on it (y)

Personally, whilst i think this car is likely to be the pinnacle of my motoring journey, i can safely say that having had a poster of a Guards red Porsche on my wall throughout childhood (admitedly it was a 911), i've met my hero, driven it, owned it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Genuinely, if you ever get the opportunity to own a Porsche, do it, they really are as good as everyone says. There isnt an ///M, AMG, Audi RS or anything else that drives, or makes you feel the way owning a Porsche does. Especially if you buy a Cayman/Boxster 981, as they are actually pretty cheap to run!

Speaking of which, whilst im not at @MarkCup levels of geek, over the past 3 years, excluding fuel, its broken down as follows:

Depreciation £8,000
Servicing £410
Insurance £900
Tax £945
TOTAL £10,255
/ 35 Months = £293 per month
/ 7000 miles = £1.47 per mile

I didnt think that was too bad at all, certainly if you compare it to the other cars i could have bought/PCP'd/leased instead ...

View attachment 1433136
Untitled by Sir_Dave, on Flickr
View attachment 1433137
View attachment 1433138
View attachment 1433139

As i said to (the most upset and annoyed) Sarah last night "tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all" 🥰

View attachment 1433140

My 987 cost £550/m over 4 years :O

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_DaveI'm very interested, the only option it doesn't have that I would like is the sports exhaust, but from reviews some people said that it just pops and bangs and isn't actually essential and can be retrofitted.

How important is the adjustable suspension?

I didn't actually try one with passive, as PASM was on my “must have” list, but i was very happy with my experience of Ashgood, id happily buy a car from them. They have enough stock for you to try one with/one without quite easily by the way.

That one looks lovely ... barring the 30k between services, plus needing a service now, hence why its cheaper i imagine?!!!! Advert should read “full, but utterly sh1t Porsche service history” :ROFLMAO:

Re the sports exhaust, i wasnt that fussed by the one of my bro in laws 981S cayman, hence why i didnt spend the £1800 on one. Carnewal mod the back box for £500 or so, but tbh, i loved the noise as it was!!

My 987 cost £550/m over 4 years :O

How on earth did you manage that lol, wasnt yours the low mileage red 2.7 that i saw on autotrader at all those years ago?!

Last edited:
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Yes, that's the very one from down your way in weybridge.

That factored in depreciation and capital repayment which I believe is correct - although not 100% sure just how expensive ncalculated that as I wrotenitnoffnin march!
I done ceramic IMS among decent servicing.
I'll dig out the costs shortly.

997.1, Caddy, e208
IMG_20191227_224331_448.jpg

That's what it was....