ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

997 Turbo vs BMW M5

Mk2 172
Its not a standard m5 tho. its gota different exhaust and map etc. over 50 hp up on a standard m5

Evo 8 Jap Crap
No one said it was a standard M5. Hence why i said was impressed with the 997

The M5 is 50bhp up mid range and 30bhp top end. Its had racing cats, different exhaust system, remap and a set of new cams

Last edited:
  Mk2 172
A good customer of ours where i work has got a 997 turbo and i went out in it recently. I have to say its epic!!!! no need for anything more. :)

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Its got a 12,500 euro Kelleners tuning package. Still cheap for what is essentially a saloon that eats Super cars

'02 MG TF160
Having done quite a few miles in both, I can say that as good as the M5 is, even when tuned i imagine, it can't come close to the 997tt.

The Turbo is mind-bendingly fast - i timed it at 8.2 to 100, that is seriously quick. The mid-range shove in the gut as you floor it in 3rd is insane...

And for those wondering how i've driven these (plus, hmmm, let me think - Gallardo Spyder, Murcielago, Fezza F430 Spider, Aston AMV8 etc etc) look here:

http://www.ecurie25.co.uk

I'm on my second year's membership...

Attached some pictures. 997tt in work car park, me in the Aston, Gallardo Spyder etc...

Attachments

• 20-07-07_0917 small.jpg
    20-07-07_0917 small.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Aston 2.jpg
    Aston 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Aston 3.jpg
    Aston 3.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 96
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 79
  Evo 8 Jap Crap
How can you say an M5 wouldnt come close to a 997 even if the M5 is tuned.

Have you actually watched the vid lol they are side by side

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Like i say have you watched the video??

Your commenting that a 997 turbo would easily leave an M5 yet the video clearly shows otherwise

MCS R56
It wasn't my comment. It wouldn't clearly leave the M5 bit it would eventually. Especially after 155mph, lol

Evo 8 Jap Crap
If the limiters still in place yeah lol

If it isnt the M5 will keep going to 205 whereas the 997 will get to 193.

One of these would do nicely :cool:

7070319.002.1M.jpg

The World’s Only Turbocharged V10 M5
Currency Motor Cars is proud to introduce the first of an unprecedented line of supercars. This flagship model is an ingeniously modified 2006 BMW M5 that can reach a top speed of 240 mph. This makes it the fastest, most powerful luxury 4-door sedan on the planet.

MAKE: BMW
MODEL: M5 E60
YEAR: 06 / 07
COLOR: Black
WEIGHT: 1830 kg
VEHICLE TYPE: 4-Door Sedan
ENGINE TYPE: High Compression V-10
COMPRESSION RATIO: 12.0:1
DISPLACEMENT: 4.999 cc
MAX POWER (bph): 810 hp
MAX TOURQUE (lp-ft): 733
VALVETRAIN: Four (4) valves per cylinder
TRANSMISSION: 7-Speed SMGIII
SUSPENSION: Koni struts and dampers, H&R Coilover springs, lowered by 1.5”
BRAKES (front / rear): Fourteen inch (14”) rotors
WHEELS: Asanti 120, 3-piece forged wheels (20-inch diameter)
TIRES: Pirelli P-Zero Nero
0 – 60: 3.6 Seconds
TOP SPEED: 240 MPH (est)
TURBOS: Custom CMC twin turbo design
INTERCOOLER: Custom CMC inter-cooled system (hand-crafted)

'02 MG TF160
How can you say an M5 wouldnt come close to a 997 even if the M5 is tuned.

Have you actually watched the vid lol they are side by side

Sorry, there's been a crossing of wires here...

I'm not talking about the performance, i'm talking about overall - living with it, driving b-roads, servicing etc etc.

The tuned M5 is just that - tuned. Therefore has no warranty. Plus they need servicing more regularly than the 997tt.

I'd take the 997 any day, as frankly it'd eat that M5 alive on anything other than a straight drag.

I'm not surprised with the result of that video though- if you look at the raw data the tuned M5 has a similar Power/weight but has the advantage of the quicker shifts of the SMG 'box.

Power/weight:

M5 (standard) = 273.2
M5 (tuned) = 300.5
997 Turbo = 308.3

'02 MG TF160
Bammy Jastard! I would have the 911 Turbo over all of the above.

Believe me, if you drive a 515bhp V10 Gallardo Spyder at full chat, with the roof down you may change your mind.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The noise is just awesome - i averaged 8.5mpg over the weekend I had it, just because i kept slowing down, slipping it into 2nd, and booting it again..... :evil:

Attached are some of the other cars i've had.

Should be getting the Audi R8 soon....

Attachments

• Gt3.jpg
    Gt3.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Dsc02130 small.jpg
    Dsc02130 small.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Dsc_0456 small.jpg
    Dsc_0456 small.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Rr1.jpg
    Rr1.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 82
  Evo 8 Jap Crap
Ahhh i get ya now :)

P.S You must be well off to afford the 10k yearly membership of that supercar club :D

'02 MG TF160
Not really - honest!

There are guys on here who go out and buy a Megane F1 at £18k on PCP, and spend £12k over 3 years and don't own any of it. Others bought Clio V6's new at £25k and spent a fortune running them every year.

I spent £5k on my 172 daily driver, then £10k on my membership. If you take into account that servicing, insurance, tyres etc are all taken care of, its not that bad a deal. Yeah I don't own anything at the end of the year, but i've had hassle and stress free driving of £100k+ cars, yay!

Last year I had 38 days driving supercars, and i'm on track for about the same this year. I think its a bargain, but then some people think i'm a foolish gimp! lol

For me its perfect - as a petrolhead I get to hoon around in cars I could never dream of affording. Plus its not just the supercars.

Last new year i went to a wedding on a country estate in Somerset - car of choice? Bentley Conti GT.

Stag do with a few mates in Sheffield? Range Rover Sport Supercharged.

Day off in the summer with nowt to do? Caterham CSR260.

A week driving around North Wales? Porsche Cayman S.

I bloody love it, and barring anything nasty like a wedding, i'll be signing up for a third year... :D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I agree with what you say.Its like an expensive leese scheeme.

If my wife would let me i would do it.lol

ian

'02 MG TF160
I agree with what you say.Its like an expensive leese scheeme.

If my wife would let me i would do it.lol

ian

She's insured to drive them too!!!

If she has an ounce of petrolheadedness about her, that should sell it!

My OH was against it, so i joined anyway (and took the days of sub zero shoulders), but she soon changed her mind when she took the F430 Spider away to a spa weekend she was going on!!

True about the lease thing too. I know a couple of guys who have Porsche/Astons on lease of £1000/month, so compared to them I think i've got the better deal! Okay so i don't have the cars 24/7, but then mon-fri all i really do is drive to work and back anyway!

MCS R56
Bammy Jastard! I would have the 911 Turbo over all of the above.

Believe me, if you drive a 515bhp V10 Gallardo Spyder at full chat, with the roof down you may change your mind.....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The noise is just awesome - i averaged 8.5mpg over the weekend I had it, just because i kept slowing down, slipping it into 2nd, and booting it again..... :evil:

Attached are some of the other cars i've had.

Should be getting the Audi R8 soon....

Sorry, 911 would still have it. Gallardo is very nice but there is something special about the Porsche. The design is amazing, to go with the performance. The Lambo is too modern and square. It may sound better but I would choose the 911. It's maybe the most complete supercar you can buy (assuming we are not car clubbing it). Cost and daily usage included. I wouldn't turn down a Gallardo but it just doesn't tick all the boxes for me.

'02 MG TF160
Oh hell yeah. If it was my £100k on the line, and my only everyday car, i'd go for the 997tt in a heartbeat.

Its epic.

But if I could have, say, an RS4 Avant as my daily driver, the Gallardo Spyder would get my money :D

MKIII 138
btw the M5board is truley the most biased ive ever seen. they pit a new beemer against any car on a drag strip and then the bmw amazingly wins ! including E55 amg with stage 3 tune pushing 580bhp 620lbft !

its not as fast as a 911 turbo the m5 yet they seem to think it is ?

stupid site speading bullshit around the world in the form of wrong youtube vids

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm a member on m5board.com, good collection of videos from that test.

Still to this day suprises me, you wouldn't think 30hp would make such a difference, an F430 monsters the M5 in any situation, and the 997 is certainly as quick as, if not quicker than the rari.