ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A few 172 questions

Hi all
got myself a 2003 172 in flame red
Bought it for £2k and then spent £700 getting cambelt done, shock replaced, bit of bodywork etc

its done 82k runs sweet and I love it

hoping you can help with a few questions please:
1) how does the esp work ? I've got a button but I push it and nothing happens, how do I know if its on or off ?
2) then the car starts up all the lights on the dash come on then go off (as normal) I know what they call mean except the green gear stick image, any ideas what this means please ?
3) I've got a leaking headlamp washer, long term plan is to blank them off, in the meantime is there an easy way to just block off the pipe and stop the leak without needing to remove the bumper ?

Thanks scott

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hi all
got myself a 2003 172 in flame red
Bought it for £2k and then spent £700 getting cambelt done, shock replaced, bit of bodywork etc

its done 82k runs sweet and I love it

hoping you can help with a few questions please:
1) how does the esp work ? I've got a button but I push it and nothing happens, how do I know if its on or off ?
2) then the car starts up all the lights on the dash come on then go off (as normal) I know what they call mean except the green gear stick image, any ideas what this means please ?
3) I've got a leaking headlamp washer, long term plan is to blank them off, in the meantime is there an easy way to just block off the pipe and stop the leak without needing to remove the bumper ?

Thanks scott

1) ESP is on as default every time the car is started. Pressing the button should illuminate the light on the dash, indicating that ESP is now off

2) the green gear stick is the "shift indicator" lights up as your approaching the rev limiter
3) no idea as its never a problem I had with mine, but many others have so ill let others answer that, or just do a search as its been covered millions of times.

hope that helps mate

Remove passenger side arch liner (two/three bolts along the front of the bumper, one bolt on the wing and one large clip on the inner section that sits at 90deg to the driveshaft) to reveal a T-junction where the feed from the washer bottle splits into two (for L & R headlight washers) disconnect it and stick an M4 bolt in the end.

New headlight washers are £12+vat from renault & really easy to fit so you may as well keep them - especially as it won't (well, it shouldn't, IIRC) pass an MOT without them if you're keeping the xenons...

Thanks guys

This is exactly what I needed

Much appreciated.

A shift light.... how cool !
Looks like my ESP button isn't working but atleast its stuck on rather than off

Will have a go at the washers this weekend and let you know how I get on

- Scott

Mine were leaking too mate , I replaced the washer jets , they are only £12 like say but mine leaked with the new jets , I had to fit 2 x 1 way valves in the lines , and it stopped the water running back ! Works a right great they were £2 of fleabay !! Hope this helps mate

And it's looking like its coming into the MOT guidelines this June/July when they update the manual so worth keeping as it shouldn't pass!

Thanks guys

This is exactly what I needed

Much appreciated.

A shift light.... how cool !
Looks like my ESP button isn't working but atleast its stuck on rather than off

Will have a go at the washers this weekend and let you know how I get on

- Scott

My ESP isn't working on my 172, press the button and nothing, I can spin the wheels up when I press the button twice

clio 172
1) ESP is on as default every time the car is started. Pressing the button should illuminate the light on the dash, indicating that ESP is now off

2) the green gear stick is the "shift indicator" lights up as your approaching the rev limiter
3) no idea as its never a problem I had with mine, but many others have so ill let others answer that, or just do a search as its been covered millions of times.

hope that helps mate
helped me aswell thanks

Might sound stupid but having looked it would appear my switch had been "pushed in" and isn't flush with the dash anymore, it it just a push button or does it toggle or stay locked in etc ? Not sure what the movement should be

thanks

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
It's just a push button, could always pull the panel off and try shorting the wires together to see if that brings up the light. Then you'll know if its a faulty switch