ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A little help

Clio 182 & VX220
I have just got hold of some new rear shock absorbers and thought I would have a bash at fitting them myself.

The problem is that the lower bolts are well and truly seized on. I have tried bashing them, using penetrating lubricants, spanners, socket sets, hammers, sockets with hammers, spanners with hammers......it's driving me nuts I just cannot loosen the thing. Does anyone know of a little knack for a weak arse like myself to loosen this bloody thing off?

:mad:

330i. E30 Touring.
Blowtorch.

That, or drive it to a garage and get them to loosen it with a buzz gun.

Titanium 182
Is it jacked up ?

Make sure you jack the back up before you loosen them so there isn't weight resting on the bolts. Makes it easier.

Clio 182 & VX220
Yep, jacked up, wheel off.

Might need to be ramped up and a breaker bar used on it

anyone know the exact socket size? I think it is imperial. The socket I have is metric and I am now worried about rounding of the nut too.

330i. E30 Touring.
You should be able to get a breaker bar on it anyway, if it's jacked up and on axle stands...

Clio 182 & VX220
Yep will go get a breaker bar. Still not sure about the socket size though.

Is there a decent parts website to search for such info?

it's not imperial. is it 19mm? or thereabouts

just thump the ratchet with a heavy mallet. can't be that seized - it's only a few years old! NS - down, OS - up (just in case:D)

wire brush threads and coppergrease when they go back in

Clio 182 & VX220
Lost skin, lost use of my arm, my best shrt is ruined and my tears of frustration have run all down the Clio's paintwork.

My mate is bringing a larger breaker bar in tomorrow. Will see how that goes.

CLIO PH1 172
have you got another long tube you can put over the braker bar to extend it even more?

if you going to try it tomorow soak it in lube over night

Clio 182 & VX220
Yeah, have left it for tomorrow, friend has a larger breaker bar. I will soak as you say Adam. Thks for the help. Off home to kick the dog! :mad:

hammering the bolt head with a drift might help break the seal as well

if it is 19mm, 3/4 AF might fit, but shouldn't need to really

Clio 182 & VX220
Sorted!!

Long breaker bar did the trick.

18mm was the size of the bolt.

Thanks for all the help.

What I always find useful is a breaker bar, then slide a hollow pole over the end, like a bit of piping, to extend it. If you know you physics, the further away from the pivot you turn, the more force you can put in :cool: