ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Newbies Iceberg 172

Iceberg 172
Hey all.

Recently joined after picking up a 172 (many thanks to VeinAST for helping me out :cool:) and figured I'd stick up one of these as there'll probably be some kind of ongoing progression that people *might* want to read :rasp:

So yeah, went to have a look at this car on the weekend. Few small bodywork issues here and there that could do with being sorted to smarten it up outside, inside seemed pretty decent and mechanically seemed great so snapped it up.

I haven't yet taken any of my own pictures (other than interior, more on that in a bit) so here's a few pics from the PH advert:

3289251-1.jpg

3289251-4.jpg

3289251-5.jpg

3289251-7.jpg

Got her back home on the Sunday, mid afternoon without enough time to get going on a first proper clean, so decided to make a start on the interior. Cleaned plastics, fabric-cleaned the fabrics, treated the leather, that sort of thing.

The seats had a fair amount of 'bobbling' so on Monday I picked up a 'bobble off' (awesome product) and gave it a whirl over the alcantara about the place which was a huge improvement. Unfortunately forgot to take before pictures and after was a little too dark.

While sorting the bobble, I had a peek under the cover of the passenger side front seat as when I bought the car the seat would no longer move forward when pulling the top handle. Everything appeared to be connected OK, but it looked as if the cable had been stretched, or something, as it wasn't quite pulling the bar enough to move it forward. Stuck a cable tie at the bottom of the cable which shortened it enough to solve the problem. Nice easy fix!

Before buying the car, I expected I'd be needing a new headunit so I ordered a Pioneer DEH-9300SD to whack in whatever I ended up with. This arrived Tuesday so replaced the (slightly ugly and out of place) alpine headunit that I bought the car with. Might by my imagination but I'm sure things sound nicer, but otherwise it's a nice improvement in looks and functionality, I'd say.

Interior wise, at the moment, it looks like this: (Ignore the white spot on the glove box in one pic, bit of fluff that ended up on there just as I was taking the picture :p)

Interior1.jpg

Interior2.jpg

As I had a little money left over after buying the car (lowered offer due to few issues with car etc.) I've got a few things ordered and on the way, or waiting to be fitted:

Aero wipers for the front, current set are a bit iffy;
Replacement engine cover bolts (from Davo172);
Renault Sport floor mats (from Wests Renault);
Replacement rear number plate light assembly as current one is looking a bit old and grim
Replacement drivers side mirror as current one is damaged

Not many plans for the close future while I gather some cash and fix a few things here and there, but plans are:

Proper clean;
Transfer private plate + new number plates;
Air con re-gassed;
Bonnet catch replaced (hopefully, due to recall)
Investigate strange rumbling sound when accelerating in low gears (any suggestions? quite a few threads on here about similar sounding issues)
Audio, eventually

Thanks about it for now, hopefully more pictures soon at least after clean and such.

BlackGold 182
lovely colour you got there :eek: plans sound good mate.

take a look at my project thread for any ideas you might have etc.

172 Cup
Nice tidy example of an iceberg you have got there mate, sounds like you will take care of it well, enjoy bud.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Looking good mate good plans too . Maybe a nice alloy footrest to go wth your new floormats ;) ?
Might go with the bobble off myself my seat needs doin.
Oh and by far the best Colour !

Iceberg 172
Thanks all :)

Davo - I'd consider it if I could afford it, absolutely skint now having spent what little money I had left after buying the car on new bits and bobs. Maybe next time there's a group buy going on :)

So few updates I guess -

Took the car to nearby Renault dealer and had the Aircon regassed, and while it was there it had a new bonnet release catch thing fitted as the old one was horrible and rusty, makes a huge difference to the look of engine bay. Pictures to come tomorrow after some cleaning hopefully.

Fitted aero wipers, and had the dash apart to fit the cables for the volume / headunit control stalk stuff. Didn't bother with pics for these as it's been documented before and wanted to get it done one evening before it got dark :D

Floor mats arrived today so very briefly (after getting back from Renault, but before heading out again) stuck them in and grabbed a few pics. Apologies for the quality, as I was in a bit of a rush.

Old drivers side mat (most interesting of the mats, really):

Interior3.jpg

And the new one:

Interior4.jpg

Rest of the mats are about the same without the extra area by pedals and renault sport detail.

And a couple of other pics I snapped while out, needs a clean (hopefully tomorrow!):

Clio1.jpg

Clio2.jpg

A close up of the sticker a friend donated to make the back a little more interesting (quite like it for now :p, also huge deadmau5 collection on my stereo SD card so makes sense!). It's a bright orange on the inside but slightly dulled when viewed from the outside :(

Sticker1.jpg

P.Blue Fiesta ST
Looks like a good basis for a project Finney :)

Looking forward to seeing the clean version of the car! <3 Deadmau5, but why haven't you got rid of the Elf sticker next to it? Also if you're a fan of stickers, you can get some custom ones made @ http://www.dmb.uk.com/2/products?gclid=CJDAwt7K_6sCFe4mtAoduUZ7gw DMG Graphics.

I think colour on Silver/White cars is lush, perhaps go with a few subtle touches of orange as a theme?

Any plans for some track days? If so perhaps we could organise one half way between us both and get on some together, certainly would like to get my Fez on one once it's had a couple of key performance enhancements :) Also you should get it on a RR to see how much power it's pumping out and how much it's lost (if any) since it was born. I'm organising one myself with the FST club just to see what my car is standard before future mods, plus it'll make a good meet and if we get 20+ cars Jamsport will throw in a free BBQ and £30 pp for 2 runs!

Tom

Iceberg 172
Couple of small updates -

While cleaning the car I noticed quite a few bodywork issues:
- Rear bumper has quite a few chips and scratches about the place
- Front bumper has some badly repaired cracks, and looks like offside bumper and wing have been sprayed at some point (guessing small damage as only small area of the bumper has been sprayed) but appears to be wrong colour silver, which looks odd
- Front of bonnet paint is pretty damaged, cleaned up okay after claybar and polish but still not great, looks quite dull and a little beaten

Overall, not so good. So, found a replacement rear bumper and wing that are apparently reasonable condition and hopefully iceberg silver, which are on the way. Keeping an eye out for a replacement iceberg front bumper.

While waiting for my number plate light assembly from renault (which seems to be taking a while) I've ordered an LED bulb to go with it, which will all be added to the replacement bumper assuming it's the right colour!

Also since my key is simply just the key and quite boring, I've ordered a renault sport keyring -

!CFgji,!EWk~$(KGrHqJ,!mIE1F3u9CJjBNVV6mhH5Q~~_12.jpg

(Ordered from renault, but pic from ebay)

More to come soon I'm sure, trying to get this bodywork straightened out and looking tip top!

Never above 25mpg
Good job so far Alex! Glad you're enjoying it. Have you got someone to have a look at that "decat" yet? Wondered whether you had got a thread up here yet!

Iceberg 172
Not gone near the exhaust yet, probably going to leave it well alone until I can pick up something standard to replace it with.

Though I did take a look at the rear mount the other day and noticed that's a bit shot so will need to sort that at some point too.

Bloody 2nd hand cars eh! :rasp:

Iceberg 172
Few things arrived today - Cliosport member pack and led bulb for number plate.

Not much to show really, just a few pics of the member pack taken while testing out a new lighbox I'm using :) Not the best pictures ever, but they'll do!

Keyring.jpg

FliersTax.jpg

Iceberg 172
The led bulb was something that I ordered separately, it didn't come with the pack :p

This was the first one, had a sticker too but since it was white sticker on white paper in a white lightbox not ideal to photograph :D

Few more things today -

Picked up new rear number plate light assembly, though not fitting this until my new rear bumper arrives.

Also received my renault sport keyring.

Pictures to come later, I'm sure!

P.Blue Fiesta ST
I ordered some white LEDs for my tailgate number plate. Have you got yours sorted yet or has your private plate not arrived yet bud?

Iceberg 172
Sounds good dude. Got mine on as well as plates now, also slightly less damaged rear bumper. Been meaning to get some pictures sorted at some point, but not been able to what with it being dark by the time I get back from work these days.

Pics to come this weekend, hopefully :)

Iceberg 172
Couple of pictures after a half assed wash today to keep it mostly clean. Mostly showing number plate, shot of the interior too.

Clio3.jpg

Clio4.jpg

Clio5.jpg

Clio6.jpg

Iceberg 172
New front bumper is planned for sometime early next year, am thinking of looking into a splitter around then :)