ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A story of two cars

Octavia vRS tfsi
I don't usually do these look what I have threads, but today is especially slow in work and I have time to kill before I catch the train home!

Bought a ph1 172 in January of this year as I changed jobs and needed something both more economical to run and something that would take mileage a bit better than the few e30 325i Sports that I had.

I pick up this in Co. Down, Northern Ireland, 2000 41,000 miles

RSfrontstraight-1.jpg

RSfront.jpg

More or less a standard 172. Standard wheels, standard induction, standard suspension. Only modification was a cat back exhaust, unbranded, so my guess was that it was a powerflow.

After 7 - 8 months of owership I was sick of the car, I was used to it, used to the power, found it completely uninspiring. I was bored of FWD, the exhaust drove me insane and I was sick of how it looked. The car at this point started needing some love - cambelt, tyres, VRT needed paying to put it on Irish plates, road tax, NCT/MOT had to be paid. I decided I was going to sell it for either an M3 or an Alpina.

Unfortunately, cars like these are nigh on impossible to sell in Ireland. The basic ethos of selling a car in Ireland is like this 'if its not Japanese or not German, it won't sell quickly'. So, with this being the case, I consciously changed the manner in which I was driving the car. I consciously sought out roads both local and further afield that I felt would flatter the chassis and hopefully entice me to keep the car that I was finding it so difficult to sell.
It worked. I fell in love with the Clio again and resolved to getting it both mechanically 100% and cosmetically 100% - Wheel refurb, sticky tyres, different exhaust, lower, splitter, induction, VRT, road tax, NCT.

VRT works like this, when you buy a car in the UK and bring it here, ususally, it's 30% of the OMSP to put the car on Irish plates - my car worked out at €1,450, plus €500 to tax it, plus €50 to nct it. I got as far as paying the VRT one Friday lunchtime. The following Tuesday the car was booked in for it's cambelt and engine mounts. I dropped the cara off at the garage, and before lunchtime....

Voila...
Systemfolder005.jpg

Systemfolder006.jpg

Systemfolder003.jpg

Systemfolder002.jpg

With the boss in France at the Irish/Georgia RWC game one of the mechanics wents for 'a parts run' read 'joyride', and put the Clio into the front of a truck.

After a couple of weeks of hassle in terms of getting sorted with the price of the car, costs involved in getting a new one and acceptance of liability for any future claims arising from hitting the third party I eventually got sorted.

Flew to Southampton, collected by Darren16v in the airport, picked up this, and 5 hours later was back in Holyhead boarding the ferry back to Dublin! 2001, 73,000 miles

1582065640_031b1bea86.jpg

Front.jpg

1571617957_b1da7ea8f6.jpg

OctaneMidlandsmeet07-10-07018.jpg

Perfect car, everything done to it both mechanically and cosmetically that I would have eventually done to my own! Delighted.

So the moral of this tale is, be carefull where you bring your car for a service, pay the extra for somewhere a bit more reputable, note your mileage, and make it known that you have done so.:)

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
wow, nice car for starters, p*ick mechanic for smashing it, and lovely car to end! :)

sorry to hear about that, but you bought another minter, darrens was a perfect example.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Wow! They really did a job on your old one mate. Replacement is sound though. Nice to hear how you fell back in love with them :D

damn abt the 1st 1 mate

i was the same as you with my 172, loved it at 1st n then got sick of it real fast, bt ive fell in love with it again, dont think i cud ever part with it.

A4 Avant
In really like your 2nd one! Pity about the 1st, i'll bet the monkey who crashed got in a bit of bother!

Octavia vRS tfsi
71,000 made me think alright for a while but the fully documented service history every 12k (five from Verdi Ferrari and the last one from K-Tec) put my mind at ease.

It's only 10k a year, I would consider that very reasonable since I have, in the past, bought cars with upwards of 140k on the clock!:)

Renault Clio Sport 172
Lovely replacement mate, shame about the first one tho!!

Alloys look great in that colour against the sliver!!! I want to do that with my Ph1 172!! What splitter is that on the front!!!?? And how much is that lowered!!??

That is one lovely looking Ph1 tho mate and good to hear that you got anoher minter after the t@ ruined the first one!!!