ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aaarghhh - bolt snapped when removing AST top mounts

Audi S3 & 172 Cup
So I decided to dismantle my left side front suspension after the MOT tester picked up a slight movement in it. The coilver (B14's) top nut was nice and tight hence the decision to dig a bit deeper. I decided to start with the AST top mount bolts. Despite gently loosening the 3 allen bolts on the AST top mount (quarter of a turn each one at a time), shortly afterwards the middle bolt snapped in half! The bottom half of the bolt is stuck in the bottom part of the mount. I lost confidence and tightened the other two back gentlt to where they were. I thought I would try the driver's side for curiosity and slowly began slackening the 3 AST mount bolts, just a couple of turns each in total, and although nothing snapped, I didn't get a great feeling that if I kept going, nothing would in fact break. I then began to question myself whether other parts need to be slackened before undoing the top mount bolts but I'm sure that's not the case.

Has anyone else had a problem with bolts snapping when removing AST top mounts? The B14/AST top mount combination was bought new less than two years ago from KAM Racing and have done < 2,000 miles which has included some trackdays. The only obvious thing I can think of is that they were put on too tight by the company that set up my geo after fitting. Nae happy......hopefully AST will sell replacement bolts separately.

Lionel Richie
yeah the bolts are s**t, we suggest changing them to a better quality, think they're 8.8 standard