ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abandoned 172 -NEED HELP!

182 Bean
Hi guys,

I have seen a 172 sat at the side of the road for the last 2 years now. The tax expired last year September.
I'm really curious to find out if the car has been abandoned as its in really good condition. One can clearly see its not been moved for the last couple of years as brakes and discs are totally corroded away.

I've even asked the local garage that are based on the same street if they have ever seen anyone use the car. Their response was NO.
Never seen anyone using the vehicle.

Now my question is...I would like IF POSSIBLE to somehow try and contact the registered owner and to see if I can take the vehicle off his hands as its a real shame to see it rot away like that.

Have called local Police and they said to contact DVLA - which I did. They said I need to fill out a V888 sheet to state my purpose so on so on....

Is that the only way of doing it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jan

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
I would do what the DVLA say to be honest.

Tell them in the form that you want to contact the owner on the basis that you wish to rescue the car from rotting away any further.

Then wait and see what happens.

Whats the cars numberplate?

Bareing in mind that if you did rescue it, it would need belts doing, breaks, tyres and a total clean inside and out.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I would do what the DVLA say to be honest.

Tell them in the form that you want to contact the owner on the basis that you wish to rescue the car from rotting away any further.

Then wait and see what happens.

Whats the cars numberplate?

Bareing in mind that if you did rescue it, it would need belts doing, breaks, tyres and a total clean inside and out.

An apparently mint 172 for sub £1k? Bargain

JLK

1.2 Replica
Would it be worth it? With everything you will need to do if you can't contact the owner? Your going to need to purchase keys aswell

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Would it be worth it? With everything you will need to do if you can't contact the owner? Your going to need to purchase keys aswell
You can buy an ecu with keys for less than 100 mate

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,

I have seen a 172 sat at the side of the road for the last 2 years now. The tax expired last year September.
I'm really curious to find out if the car has been abandoned as its in really good condition. One can clearly see its not been moved for the last couple of years as brakes and discs are totally corroded away.

I've even asked the local garage that are based on the same street if they have ever seen anyone use the car. Their response was NO.
Never seen anyone using the vehicle.

Now my question is...I would like IF POSSIBLE to somehow try and contact the registered owner and to see if I can take the vehicle off his hands as its a real shame to see it rot away like that.

Have called local Police and they said to contact DVLA - which I did. They said I need to fill out a V888 sheet to state my purpose so on so on....

Surely you've answered your own question?

Although as pointed out there's probably a reason it's sat there.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
No houses about? If not, seems a bit dodgy for it to be sat there for 2 years without moving.

Any sites about that can be checked to see if it's insured?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
AskMID for insurance check.

No harm in trying.

I used to drive past an 'abandoned' Porsche 944 every day on a main road. Turned out tg guy was just waiting for someone to make him an offer!

Titanium 182
Even if you get it for a decent price and get it all up and running properly after chucking a bit of money at it at least you'll be saving a nice 172, theres a 182 like that near my end, tax ran out early 2012 I think it said when I went to look at it, I really want to buy it and fix it but I just can't afford it.