ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Aberdulais Falls

As challenges go this was a tough one

- Hottest day of the year (i.e. incredibly bright)
- One lens (50mm)
- No Tripod/Gorillapod/Monopod or any kind of support

So an unexpected trip to a waterfall wasn't exactly going to be easy, particuarly as I've been reading about 'milky water' long-exposure photos for years but never actually had the opportunity to take any. Here goes anyway...

341906659_L3Syj-L.jpg

341900300_urU2h-L.jpg

341897971_4qGp4-L.jpg

341899618_aihzc-L.jpg

341903188_dRCP2-L.jpg

341908549_JeXbJ-L.jpg

341899614_PQYfU-L.jpg

341906144_puA5D-L.jpg

Cheers, so pleased to have had the chance to have a go at this, just a shame I didn't have anything more than the camera and 50mm. They are just handheld with £180 worth of equipment though, so no reason why anyone else wouldn't be able to get them.

The second and third photos are what I would have liked to have got in one shot, unfortunately I couldn't get back far enough. I sense another Sigma 10-20 on the way...if I can sell the cat or something.

A few more here incase anyone is interested...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/5575999_qth7p

...and for those interested in the technical side, most were in Shutter Priority mode between 1/4 and 1/2 second. All were bouncing off the f22 aperture limit as it was so sunny. Managed to get a couple sharp shots at 4 seconds as well, which is a handheld record for me.

Last edited:
A few more here incase anyone is interested...

http://chrisharrison.smugmug.com/gallery/5575999_qth7p

...and for those interested in the technical side, most were in Shutter Priority mode between 1/4 and 1/2 second. All were bouncing off the f22 aperture limit as it was so sunny. Managed to get a couple sharp shots at 4 seconds as well, which is a handheld record for me.
Good going :)

I was going to ask if you were using filters but you can get f22, therefore I don't imagine you need to - I can only get up to f11 on mine! booo!

White APE
Cheers for that, i want to get myself a DSLR but really wont have a huge budget. But after seeing your pics its clear you dont need a huge budget to get awesome pics.

Cheers for that, i want to get myself a DSLR but really wont have a huge budget. But after seeing your pics its clear you dont need a huge budget to get awesome pics.

D50 was £100 second-hand off of here, the 50mm 1.8 costs about £90 brand new. Pretty much professional grade photography possible with that little lens, very high quality.

LY182/NHB CTR
Very nice photos ukaskew. I use to live near Aberdulais Falls and those photos make me want to visit the falls again, and there is a nice little pub nearby too :)

Fiat Panda 100hp
very impressive, was expecting you to be using some filters to dim the light a little to get the exposure time. Nicely done, will have to give this a try.

very impressive, was expecting you to be using some filters to dim the light a little to get the exposure time. Nicely done, will have to give this a try.

It's pretty well shaded there, so even in the bright sunlight longer shutter speeds were needed even for 'normal' shots, in fact for a shot of my partner I crept up from ISO200 (to ISO400) for probably only the second or third time since I got my DSLR 18 months ago. At f22 I always had at least 1/4 second available, which is plenty for a bit of blur.

Fiat Panda 100hp

It's pretty well shaded there, so even in the bright sunlight longer shutter speeds were needed even for 'normal' shots, in fact for a shot of my partner I crept up from ISO200 (to ISO400) for probably only the second or third time since I got my DSLR 18 months ago. At f22 I always had at least 1/4 second available, which is plenty for a bit of blur.

Ar right, I took one the last week on f22 with a shutter speed of 1/3. Mine was in broad daylight though.

2711272689_fb892ba006.png