ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Graham's OCD ph2 DCi sport rep

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Back at the start of this year we decided we needed another car to help get around a little cheaper. Over the christmas period 2012 we clocked 2500 miles which just cost an absolute fortune in the 182, not to mention it was stressful.

Decided on a DCI due to tax, clio knowlege, cheap and one we liked the look of near by.

Here he was in the advert.

482257_10200293100664122_319046884_n_zps923bc553.jpg

I'd seen him advertised and suggested it to my neighbours a couple of weeks before as they were looking for a clio. Weird we ended up buying him for £1200. He didn't want for much, 6 months tax, 106k, lots of tread on the tyres and had an MOT with no advisories. The chap had no service history when I called (he then found it when I turned up) and had no idea about cars. He had no idea if and when the cambelt had been changed but when I lifted the bonnet it was written on the strut! It had a boost leak which I could hear on the test drive (hair dryer) so that was one of the first things to get sorted.

On the drive home there was the low oil pressure warning light flickering which was worrying, especially with no sh from 80k I feared big ends. First job on the first day, replaced the oil, filtter and oil pressure sensor and all was well again. Also chucked on some aero twin wipers at the same time.

If you've read my other project thread I do all work myself. We drove Claude for about a week thinking the fuel gauge was broken but he was just incredibly economical. Boost leak fixed that weekend saw economy improve even more. The previous garage had located the seals on the pipes incorrectly (horrible pita job)

We then drove him for a few thousand with no need for anything other than fuel. He started to develop a cold. When starting sometimes you would have to put your foot to the floor to get him to go. We eventually broke down one morning when I HIT BOOOSSSTTT (the fuel pipe just squirted fuel out under the pressure) I pumped the little pumpy bit and then drove home below 2k and taped it up with gaffa as a temporary fix. This turned out to be caused by the engine cover rubbing. Cut the old one off and popped a new piece of fuel tube on saw a free fix.

My sister then borrowed the car when we went on holiday and the clutch on the alternator pulley busted. £58 later I had a new belt and pulley courtesy of Curd Brothers Tunbridge Wells (top chaps). To get the alternator off this car you have to remove the oil filter. What is wrong with Renaults design team.

Up to 115k then it was MOT time. Only needed a new third brake light and steering rack gaitor so whilst changing this I popped on some new TREs I had laying around from my 182 epas conversion. Also popped on new discs and pads as they were wearing a little low.

Recently the car has become solely mine to get to uni and back on the motorway each day so it was time for some changes to make it more of a commuter.

First came the 182 interior kindly donated by my 182. Carpet, door cards, dash strips, a non-ripped gear gaitor and seats. The carpet made the car much quieter on the motorway.

When queuing and just toddling along on idle Claude made a horrible deep vibrating noise so I changed the ARB inner bushes and outer drop links. That was a horrible job but worth it.

Couple of tyres up for changing soon I spotted some mk2 alloys at the scrappies, up for £65 on ebay. I got them for £50 which I was chuffed with as they had a matching set of decent tread tyres and centre caps.

null_zpsefb82cea.jpg

Next was the 182 xenons, LED rear number plate light and mist washer jets.

We got to 116k and it was time for a service again. I got the £75 full genuine kit from Smiths on ebay. There of course was no record of any of the filters being changed so fuel, air, pollen and oil were done. Along with the engine oil and gearbox oil. I managed to forget to put the drain plug back in the first time and put 3l of very expensive gearbox oil on the floor :cool:

Last week came the most recent mods, a dynamique spoiler and some genuine front mud flaps. I'm after the rears if anyone has some. The best mod has to be the trip computer. Being a basic model the car came with black surround clocks which just did the trip function. Having found out clios are all prewired for the computer function I got some silver surround clocks from a DCI of the same era and a trip computer stalk. Hey presto I can now monitor my MPG. Got 73 on a test run ;)

null_zps3bed3e64.jpg

This weekend I changed the cambelt, coolant and water pump. That all went swimmingly. Next I'd love to sort out the cruise control however I do not have the correct dash loom so need to find on of those :)

WOW I found a cup that fits just about! £4.50

null_zpsd1d3a986.jpg

Oh yeah, I tried to paint my knob today as it was really worn out. Turned out pretty poor!

null_zps2865bec2.jpg

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Re: DCI 65 pov spec commuter OEM+

Few updates.

I've fitted a yanoo stiff shift, richbrook gearknob, RS grill, dci 80 intercooler and retro fitted cruise control from scratch. Pics shortly but here's a preview

Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll be fitting the climate control and 182 interior mirrors but that's for another day

B60F1699-B344-4BC3-8067-4644888DCFE6_zpsv9vjmgp0.jpg

Last edited:

Might've missed it, but why are so many bits coming off the 182? Postbit says "RIP 182," is it being sold?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Steven103 it's been broken so I've taken a few bits I wanted for the DCI. It's made it a million times better.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

I said the update would come one day so here it is in a little more details. Admittedly the car looks boring on the outside. I'd love to make it a rep but it's mv632 so would require a huge amount of spraying and wouldn't come in at less than £1k. I'd rather have a Fabia VRS ;)

Had a mishap with repairing the sunroof.....it rained all night when it was fresh so the sealant went everywhere. At least the leak onto my seat has now stopped and it's just the seatbelt which gets soaking now.

8844F121-A8CC-4288-BE6C-78B88A4B0333_zpsepmpaqvf.jpg

The yanoo stiff shift is great and was a straight swap with the 182. I changed the whole unit including the metal bar.

CDA9FEBD-D633-4171-8B00-D6EBDB08AF59_zpskqyqqmvg.jpg

RS grill stolen from the old 182. I probably wouldn't have done this if I didn't have it laying around. Looks okay I suppose but I'm still not convinced it fits the non sport looks.

EB1AF969-84C7-4A97-9BD3-75BC4A73547A_zpsh3ichpjd.jpg

DCI 80 intercooler. Has made it a bit torquier and boost fractionally lower. Got for increased efficiency mainly and potentially remap if funds allow (unlikely)

CFE19B14-7AE1-433A-BD25-8D9CCC1E777A_zps5p8jxuvl.jpg

Cruise control, took ages of mulling over the wiring diagrams but I got it sorted in the end. It seems to be jerky though sometimes as if the ecu only has set levels of injection when cruise is functioning instead of continuous when using the pedal. Airbag cut isn't perfect but it's good enough. Still it's a lifesaver on the motorway.

Sneaky sport pedals

00940865-5CF7-4A94-AFC8-99FAA05B7CCB_zpsw7usxgdj.jpg

Couple of interior shots

229EE7E8-B907-4CAE-9166-FD7F1D85EB97_zpskkofjvyw.jpg
A3C56ECE-1F59-4013-B7ED-1D05EFB0FB24_zps382zfjtv.jpg

Plans are to sort the tracking, reseal the sunroof, wack a new rack gaiter on, replace the topmounts, new glow plugs, new injectors for the slight misfire.

Imminently I'll be mounting the 80 intercooler on a proper 80 radiator with a/c set up. Haven't been able to do this yet as the rad pipes differ. I'll also be retrofitting climate control in the next few weeks. Have worked out what all the wires are for and given it a test run outside the car. Will be wiring it into the existing fuse box so it's as good as factory. At the same time the lower dash will be changed to give the heated/cooled glove box function from the 182.

If anyone has a busted climate resistor pack I can take off your hands that'd be marvelous!

Last edited:

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Thought I'd share this with the forum.

Climate control is up and pretested before putting in the car.

[video=youtube_share;V5q7O1rGAnI]http://youtu.be/V5q7O1rGAnI[/video]

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

ThomasBrentnall

I could do one like my cruise control guide but people will need the interior and part of the bay loom to complete it! Not to mention, the heater box, resistor pack, heater box behind the dash and control panel.

Don't see why not though if you want me to :)

Focus RS + S3

Brilliant thread!
makes me miss my dci van before she died :(

Wish i knew about the trip computer thing! That would have been brilliant,

My 1.2 is ok on juice but not amazing, youve got me looking at dcis again

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Hodgins Thanks mate, shes boring but as luxury as possible. Took a lucky go on the trip clocks based on some not very conclusive forum hunting!
ThomasBrentnall I wouldn't do it again. I've just got in and been out there since 3. This is where I'm at now.

54FA9DD3-2823-482C-B78D-F4436F29170B_zpspvetogzt.jpg

B34E7838-C798-4902-9F7C-6FDAD923C908_zpscihpjttn.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

I have just finished it off, up since 6. Couple of screws left over....

Many.

Absoulote pig. Fair play for doing it that way, I changed my whole loom that already had everything on it (Cruise, Climate, headlight washers, auto lights etc).
ThomasBrentnall You could just change the loom on yours, rather than wiring it in like Grazo, Thats what I'd do anyway.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

epic work but sack that for a laugh!lol!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Agree about the buttons. I'm looking for one without the horrible texture on so it matches the rest of the trim.

Boost pressure sensor broke today so had to unplug it for the drive in!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

AlexW I would have done exactly the same as you if I'd had the money because this was is a complete PITA. Fair amount of wiring to do the bay side of the car as well.

For a free mod I'm pretty chuffed!

Got hold of a normal climate panel now so I'll fit that soon.

Next change coming is white/red led's in the clock.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Fitted the new climate panel today which looks a ton better and is in great condition.

Had a couple of teething problems with the climate control. Having mended a broken climate pack it then busted again because the resistor got too hot (I hadn't located it on the heatsink properly). I've sorted that now.

Finally connected it up to the ecu and the headlight switch so the illumination works properly.

Problem is that the climate requires an external temperature input which can't be supplied by the current clock/temp display. I've got the 182 display so will be putting that in with the wiring tomorrow but know the yellow block on the radio connector is different so need to know which terminals do what. Until this is done there is no adjustment of the temperature as the module doesn't know the temperature of the air coming into the heater box.

Many.

I need to find myself a non textured climate panel and door grabs, door grabs are scratched and hate the feeling of it

Any non sport simon.
grazo22 where is the external temp measurement for the climate? I thought it had one in one of the heater boxes? I didn't have to mess with that issue luckily!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

AlexW it's an output of the clock display "central communication unit" which cars with the red and grey plug clock unit don't have. The 182 unit has 1 plug with 24 connections.

As suspected now I've wired in the new display the radio functions don't show up on the dash and the steering wheel controls no longer work. Unsure of the differences in the units out and inputs on the radio and display.

Climate is now working perfectly after sorting the external temperature sensor and plugging the roof fan into the right plug! (der there are two in the roof of the same shape). It had been blowing out just lukewarm air what ever the temp was set to.

With the new dash it's possible to utilise the heated and cooled glovebox and hook up the glovebox light so I've done that.

Also I finally got round to mounting the parrot back in a discrete place after removing the non-cruise panel.

SORTED!

FF07D392-50E5-403D-84DD-B04BDE674F2E_zpso9pbpm07.jpg

87AC18CA-B28E-40DC-B00D-3851AB0B76D4_zps0dwhj8ab.jpg
7056FAA0-B38A-4367-932C-8F1E0B2A3F8F_zpsiys5ybam.jpg
EDC9F614-5A35-4D7F-AED5-19D3C670CC52_zps2d0lstov.jpg
098BB9EB-E22D-44CA-AF84-5DBB15F14866_zpshgepifgl.jpg

Many.

Hmm, mines different. I still have the grey and red plug on the clock.

When you said about not changing temp, I nearly said have you plugged in the roof light sensor/fan, as when Paris's 182 one was unplugged it wouldn't change temp properly.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

How odd. I'm not entirely sure then unless I'm reading the diagrams wrong. The 182 had the external temperature input wire going into the clock display which is the only place the temp sensor wires go.

It's 1125 on this diagram and listed as central communication module unit. When I looked in the clio electrical manual published by Renault they didn't list any temp outputs on the grey or red plugs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hhs54i1mqmmah8p/419 - control panel.pdf

So much better with the top fan plugged in!!!

I've bought a cabasse auditorium update list after reading post 3 of this thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...owing-radio-or-CD&highlight=tuner+update+list

I'll change the front for the non textured version.

Last edited:
  Many.

Deffo odd, but I don't know enough about the inner wirings of mine, as I never had to go this far!

If you get stuck with any of it, I've just remembered I have a Climate control DCi loom, but I forget why I didn't use it, perhaps no auto lights or something.

My dci occasional needs full throttle to start. What was the fix for yours?

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

boom Mine was a leak in the fuel line which meant there was air getting in.

Thanks for the offer Alex. I've just got it all working now. Wish I'd known before!! Would have saved me some cut knuckles and a heap of heatshrink! Where do you get your looms from. Laurens DCI needs one as it doesn't even have a clock display!

Many.

Found people breaking cars. Last one came from a quick search for a breaking, found one with everything, climate, auto wipers etc.

welcome me to my spare loom, I was going to throw it.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Got my radio sorted, changed the front of the cabasse auditorium update list from the textured face. It now looks exactly the same as my original but packs a little more punch and the sound is much much better quality.

After 3 weeks delivery time my SMDs for the dash were delivered from japan (the cheapest on ebay!)

I burnt my finger on the soldering iron 3 times and did some messy soldering but an hour later I was driving an Audi. The display is red, it came out funny in the photo all over exposed. The white isn't as offensive as it looks!

D6FE9ED3-9C36-4A2D-B91D-BFDE9A7E1A76_zpsfrb5allr.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Forgot to add I had a moment to get the snow out. My sister did a super job and got me some ph neutral VP for my birthday. Completely different colour now it's washed :)

0C4E711A-45B6-4F6A-B156-09116D28273B_zps9x8don9l.jpg

1DFB2402-4B89-484C-A10E-4443B6BE3935_zpsto7aqjzs.jpg

Many.

Dials look good, Not completely sold on the red display, will have to see next time I see you lol.

Needs sport kit, and I know I say that all the time!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

Red display looks better in the flesh than on the photo I promise.

Just totted up minimum replica costs and it's £700 even with taking cheapy sport kit off your hands! Huge cost is the paint and that's not even with any drivetrain mods other than spacers and springs :'(

Red display looks better in the flesh than on the photo I promise.

Just totted up minimum replica costs and it's £700 even with taking cheapy sport kit off your hands! Huge cost is the paint and that's not even with any drivetrain mods other than spacers and springs :'(

Can you confirm something for me?

I have an Expression Clio, without trip computer. If I was to add the stalk with the button and a trip computer speedometer, would it work?

Cheers.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

CoryColeWilkins Don't stalk buttons, you could get arrested for that.

You're right though. Put the silver surround clocks in and the stalk with trip button and it should work. Mine started as an expression also. Beware mileage is stored in the clocks. I lost 6k somewhere.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d

No idea mate but I assume so. Give it a go, that's what I did. It worked and now I feel epic