ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Abs sensor removal hints and tips please

I'm getting my car on diagnostics this week due to the abs , serv and traction light being constantly on ( I should have bought a cup).

Now I've had a look at the little blighter today and I couldn't even get the torx has bolt top move.

Are there any tips to removing these?

Everything I've seen people suggest just to break them.

What method though are people using to remove these? They are only one bolt but I can see this being a b**ch.

Any help much appreciated

mad in general

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 phase 2
The one and only time I have had to do this resulted in me removing the hub and spinning a 16mm (I think) wood drill bit right through it.
I really don't think you will get one out if its original.

good luck.

Yep everything I've read recommends drilling it out. I'm really tempted just to let the garage do it.

I'm soaking both sides with realising fluid for the next few days before I try

green

ClioSport Club Member
  Hi comp phase 1
A guy reasontly used loads of lube and a press to get them out. I just used an old screw driver and a hammer.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
They are a pain to remove , cut the outside and inside then you will see a load of copper braiding, keep pulling the braiding out with a small screwdriver and eventually you will be able to remove the inside magnet and then the abs sensor will be loose enough to pull out.

They are a pain to remove , cut the outside and inside then you will see a load of copper braiding, keep pulling the braiding out with a small screwdriver and eventually you will be able to remove the inside magnet and then the abs sensor will be loose enough to pull out.
That's great mate I will give that a bash

M2 Comp
Centre punch and hammer is all you need. I did mine the other week and they were out in minutes.

Champion. That seems great. Lots of options here fellas these are great.

Now the torx head looks fooked. So I'm going to cut the plastic away from around it then heat with a blow torch and use some moles to wind it out. Does this sound like a good idea?

M2 Comp
I was lucky with both of mine as the torx screws both came out easy enough.

Could you maybe get a hex bit / allen key in there or is it too far gone?

Looks too far gone. Seems a funny size too couldn't find an allen that would fit it. Will try beating one in and make it fit. Hopefully the releasing fluid will work it's magic

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
Drill it out. I tried to take mine out once and failed dismally.....shed loads of WD40, using a hammer to tap the torx into place. Luckily I had to change the hub anyway and the one I bought had a sensor already on it.

Ok fellas got the codes read today.

And this is what I got.

1736fa0d4365fd03518ed2187030d1d4.jpg

Front left and rear right. The front one cleared so probably just crap.

The rear right didn't. So I'll start with the back. Now question there doesn't look like there is a lot of clearance to get the retaining screw out. Do I need to disassemble the hub to get the bugger out?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Im sure the rear sensors are only available from Renault. I bought a pair for my ph1 at a cost of £300.

I still have my old ones which are in the hubs.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
So I tried tackling this today. Didn’t get very far.... tor’s sheered off 🤷🏽‍♂️
assuming it’s a hub off job With a drill and tap? Or is there an alternative it’s a 172 non cup, is there a better replacement or not?

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
They don’t absolutely need the torx as the push fit holds them in place anyway.
If you get the old one out you might be able to get some mole grips on the thread and wind it out.

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Having done a few front ones ...

Use an impact driver on the Torx bolt as you don’t want to round it out.

Where the sensor is on the inner side of the hub as close to the hub as possible hacksaw about 5mm in - you are only cutting into plastic and very fine copper wire so not difficult. Hit the side of the sensor and it will snap where you have sawn it. Pull out all wire. Do the same where the sensor sticks out above the hub and saw under you hit something hard – which will be the hard steel cylindrical magnet that is inside and no need to try and cut through it – which is good as its very hard and will try and rotate making cutting a pain. Once you have hack sawed in until you hit the steel then stop and hit the sensor on the side and the plastic part will shear off. The magnet can then be pulled up leaving just plastic in the hub and use a punch or abuse a small screwdriver and this will come out easily.

All done in a couple of minutes.

Clio 172
Having done a few front ones ...

Use an impact driver on the Torx bolt as you don’t want to round it out.

Where the sensor is on the inner side of the hub as close to the hub as possible hacksaw about 5mm in - you are only cutting into plastic and very fine copper wire so not difficult. Hit the side of the sensor and it will snap where you have sawn it. Pull out all wire. Do the same where the sensor sticks out above the hub and saw under you hit something hard – which will be the hard steel cylindrical magnet that is inside and no need to try and cut through it – which is good as its very hard and will try and rotate making cutting a pain. Once you have hack sawed in until you hit the steel then stop and hit the sensor on the side and the plastic part will shear off. The magnet can then be pulled up leaving just plastic in the hub and use a punch or abuse a small screwdriver and this will come out easily.

All done in a couple of minutes.

Perfect, got the lights on the dash, permanently, changed and reset brake pedal switch, so suspect I'll be looking at an ABS Sensor. Top tips and assume the process is similar for the rears?

Gregs79

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Trophy
Just read through this post. I have 2 working sensors that I want to remove without breaking so that I can refurb the hub.

Leaving to soak with GT85 and hoping I can tap them out and sort out the thread left in afterwards.

Am I likely to damage them tapping them out?

Any other suggestions?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just read through this post. I have 2 working sensors that I want to remove without breaking so that I can refurb the hub.

Leaving to soak with GT85 and hoping I can tap them out and sort out the thread left in afterwards.

Am I likely to damage them tapping them out?

Any other suggestions?
Just leave them in and mask them?

R5gtt, 182, volvo...
There really is zero hope, I had a go at getting them out gently and they’re tighter than a virgins queef.

order new ones and smash them out.

theyre almost as tight as pressing the bearings out.

CrashBurnFly

ClioSport Club Member
  various
I would be amazed if you could get them out undamaged as the cast iron hub corrodes and grips them in. Mask them for a repaint as Louis suggests. Or replace them as they are really maintenance (long term) items if you have the hubs out. Somebody needs to send Dangerous Dave a woman!