ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS & SERV lights on... checked a few things

Clio 172
Hiya people,

My ABS and SERV lights keep coming on randomly (172 Phase 2 FF), sometimes I start the car and they are on and stay on for the entire journey, sometimes they go off after I start moving and then sometimes they wont come on at all and then suddenly come on whilst just driving along? I have changed my back brake pads since this started and while there the ABS rings looked almost new. Cleaned up the sensors a bit and mad sure the wires going to them were OK. Checked the fron ABS rings and they seem ok, a bit rusted and gunked up with grease which I calened out of the grooves but no teeth missing or anything. Next I checked the fluid level which is at max when I removed the cap and obv. goes up when I put it back in, ive tried it so it only reads max when the cap is on but this made no difference. The last thing I tried was adjusting the brake pedal switch, I assume the brake lights only come on when the pedal isn't pushing it in? (when you press the pedal down). I pulled it all the way out and then let the pedal click it back in and then removed it and pushed it in 1 click again so that the pedal should stop touching it as soon as I start to press it.

After doing all of the above the light still comes on! Is there anythign else I can try? Don't fancy spending £89 at Renault for it to be plugged into a computer either...what a rip off! Anybody suggest someone near Welling in Kent or SE London that can read the fault codes for less?

James

Megane dci 130
Check your cv boots :) The clips let go and go inbetween the reluctor ring and sensor and cause problems like you have.

Vw caddy tdi
Check abs connections/ plugs under the seats its normally the passenger one where wireing gets moved for rear passengers.

www.renparts.co.uk
have you had your steering wheel off recently? we had a problem with the steering position sensor with one once which was throwing up those lights.

Clio 172
Hey, thanks for your input people!

When I checked the rings on the front they were not obscured at all, CV boot appeared to be intact. I've only had the car for a month so maybe the previous owner had the steering wheel off? I can get that exact same OBD reader for £25 but are they any good?

The light came back on yesterday and wont go out again now, have been out a few times and its always on. Only thing I did do was top the brake fluid back up yesterday after trying the car with less in. Would having too much make the light come on?

James

Clio 172
Well, had a mobile Renault Mechanic come and check it out for me. Plugged it inot his computer and chose ABS test for Clio II Ph2/Ph3 and it wouldn't properly initialise a connection. The stop light would start blinking and then stop again and then nothing! He thinks that the ABS computer may have got water in it and showed me where it is. Will try and removed it, take it apart and WD40 it to see if this fixes it.

James

Clio 172
Well, I havn't had time to strip the car down properly, i just unclipped the Power Steering fluid bottle, left hoses attached and unbolted the coolant res aswell. moved them aside as best I could and then pulled the insulation back and sprayed a ton of WD40 onto the ABS unit..no luck though! :(

Does anybody know if the ABS sensors are the same for all 4 wheels and can they be removed easily? Also if the ABS ring was split but not moving around on the drive shaft would the light still be intermittent? Is it possible to change just the rings on the front?

James

Last edited:
  Clio 172
OK, been back out to the car again today...

Both ABS rings on the back look almost new and no cracks etc. Fronts were still a bit dirty so i cleaned them up a bit more with some WD40 and a one of those coarse brushes used for scrubbing the dishes (better not put that back in the sink!). Sprayed the sensors as well and cleaned them up as much as I could, no traces of missing teeth or cracks in the fronts ABS rings. Checked all of the wiring coming from the sensors and followed it for a bit, spaying and cleaning them at every joining point.

Next I pulled out the arch liner on the passenger side front a bit to gain access to the ABS unit (behind where the ABS sensor wire disappears) and spayed lots of WD40 into the wiring etc, still not enough room to actually get to it properly from here though, the best way would probably be to removed the coolant and PS res', the battery and maybe a few other bits to really get behind the shielding stuff in the engine bay. Aaanyway...started the car and the ABS/SERV light was still on, went for a drive and it stayed on! :( pulled the ABS fuse and put it back in, restarted the car and the lights went out as i pulled away (this happens sometimes). Went for a drive and tested the brakes, ABS kicks in as it should when you try and lock the wheels up and so far the light has stayed off. Wont get my hopes up just yet but hope this proves useful to someone else experiencing problems.

James

Megane dci 130
To be fair you could keep going and guessing what is wrong but you could save yourself time and money by going to renault and getting it put on clip. Where are you from? I can give it a test if your near me.

Clio 172
Well,

Bit the bullet today and put it in to the local Renault stealers, explained what I have looked at and what I know is good etc..just waiting for the bad news call.... :(

James

Clio 172
OK, got my car back! And the diagnosis is a faulty near side rear ABS sensor, £114+VAT for the part! There are none in stock so I paid my £89.30 for the diagnostics. They also washed the car and did a 25 point check, apart from the ABS light it should go through the MOT fine! Can anybody recommend a place to get the sensors from that is a bit cheaper than Renault?

James

A

ashy_gtt

Got a similar problem on a 182...

Any idea why the ESP light is on aswell? or would a faulty ABS ring sensor cause this aswell?

A

ashy_gtt

Also would this be something Reno would do under warranty?

Cars less than 3 years old!

koi

Audi S1
Got a similar problem on a 182...

Any idea why the ESP light is on aswell? or would a faulty ABS ring sensor cause this aswell?

Didn't realise this was such a common problem, happened to me this morning but dissapeared once I restarted the engine.

Heres the amaizing pic I drew in MS Paint cause I can't upload any pics at work lol

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    3.7 KB · Views: 217
  182 Clio
I had exactly the same with my 182. had abs light, traction light and serv light all on the dash. only came on when i was braking in a bend or corner, then started to stay on when the weather got colder. changed the pads and checked the fluid and all is fine.