ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

AC reinstall, parts needed?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Evening all,

I'd like to reinstall the airconditioning in the Petrol Blue, but need a bit of guidance re parts and the process.

So far I've got:
Pipes
Compressor
Dryer
Condensor
Seal kit
Brackets and tensioner for pas/alternator

What I think I will still need:
-Those metal/rubber brackets that keep the condensor fixed in front of the radiator.
-new alternator for a 182 with AC.
- the longer aux belt for 182 with AC.

Anything I'm missing here?

Is this a DIY job? Don't mind a bit of work but is it doable on the driveway?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
How did you get on with this? I've got the front bumper off mine at the moment if you need any pics.

The metal rubber brackets are a dick to get now as Renault have discontinued them, One of mine had a broken stud so trued Renault and various breakers.

I would buy some compressor oil (cheap £10 - Ive got the correct part number somewhere if you need). You might also need the bolts for the compressor, think its hard mounted to the block with some fairly odd length bolts (again have pics if you need).

100% DIYable - I had the entire system off and back on - just need to have it refilled now. However I will say that this would be loads easier with engine out, good chance to do cam belt while you do the aux belt too.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
It's in for a service at Birchdown at the moment, they're going to have a look at the block to see if it's feasible as a DIY project but I'm hearing that it's quite doable from multiple people now!

Which metal rubber brackets do you mean?

I got the odd long bolts for the compressor with it so that's already sorted.

Sadly no way of getting the engine out, would you say lifting the engine, releasing the engine mount and lowering the subframe is necessary to install the airconditioning?

And yes please, I would be interested in the part number of the compressor oil!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It's in for a service at Birchdown at the moment, they're going to have a look at the block to see if it's feasible as a DIY project but I'm hearing that it's quite doable from multiple people now!
The parts seem available and none of it is massively hidden/unacceptable. If wiring is present I really don't think it would be an issue.

Which metal rubber brackets do you mean?
"Those metal/rubber brackets that keep the condensor fixed in front of the radiator" These ones you mentioned earlier. I am assuming these are the L shaped brackets.

I got the odd long bolts for the compressor with it so that's already sorted.

Sadly no way of getting the engine out, would you say lifting the engine, releasing the engine mount and lowering the subframe is necessary to install the airconditioning?
No you'll do it fine but will probably need to remove the radiator, front bumper and slam panel. I only mentioned engine out as access to AUX belt and the rest is obviously less of an issue then :)

And yes please, I would be interested in the part number of the compressor oil!
Its PAG46 here is the link I used

Capacity seems to be around 135ml. I recommend draining your unit fully first - think they have a drain plug.

Answers embedded in quote above.

Let me know if you need any pictures when you come to do it, I've taken quote a few and the pipe routing can be a little odd when you first lay them on top of the engine.

Do you have the plastic brackets which clip the two metal pipes together?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah perfect thank you for all the info!

Sorry, yes I did mention those brackets myself and they are the ones I meant. Shame they're no longer available, is there an alternative? They seem to perish quite quickly anyway..

I've got an ac delete kit at the moment so will need to reroute a new AUX belt. Don't mind taking the slam panel etc off, don't think I'd be able to fit the compressor and alternator with that on anyway!

Hopefully will have the car back end of next week and give this while thing a go the week after, weather permitting.

As for the oil, I thought the system was lubricated by oil that is put in while regassing the system or do you prefill the compressor seperarely before fitting? Is that a seperate lubricating system just for the compressor?

And as for the plastic bracket that clips the pipes together, I'm not sure, I think I do, but will have to check!

Last edited:

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Yes that what I originally thought too, however when I tipped my pump over all its life fluid fell out and a but of reading suggests that they get pre-loaded with out and refrigerant top ups add a little but not all that it required... However I admittedly know very little about ac systems and just followed internet advice which as we all know is always 100% right!

Rob,

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaha yes internet is always right and everything you see on TV is true!

I'll ask Steve and Andy when I pick up the car next week, see what they say, but it's definitely interesting information!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry just re-read the message I left, must have been in a rush as its terribly typed! Guessing you deciphered it enough to get what I was on about.

This oddly child friendly web page (lots or cartoon pictures) describes it ok:

Reactions: MLB

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaha that is brilliant, I especially love how they explain how to open valves in the machine!

The capacity of 135ml is that just what it took when you refilled it or is that an amount according to the manual?

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaha that is brilliant, I especially love how they explain how to open valves in the machine!

The capacity of 135ml is that just what it took when you refilled it or is that an amount according to the manual?

Haha Yes, someone went to a load of effort to make that! 135ml was from a table I found online.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Great, I'm actually looking forward to this job!

Now, what new tools do I need for this job, definitely an M12 ratchet I'd say.. ;)

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
So just stumbled across this thread after starting a new one 🤭

how did you get on with the recommission of the system? I need to replace the compressor on mine as well as the condenser and dryer. Which all looks easy enough until you consider the oil. I have read the well illustrated link above. But is it easy to fill the system? keen to get my ducks lined up before I rip it all out and start

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't gotten very far yet as I don't have anything at all installed and I've got a RS2 inlet so looking at options for brackets at the moment!

I'd be installing everything from the bottom up so start with the compressor, then alternator, then pipework. Not sure if you can get to the compressor from the bottom but filling it with oil should be a problem. If you want I can take some pictures of the compressor that I've got to give you an indication of what you'll be looking at?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
I haven't gotten very far yet as I don't have anything at all installed and I've got a RS2 inlet so looking at options for brackets at the moment!

I'd be installing everything from the bottom up so start with the compressor, then alternator, then pipework. Not sure if you can get to the compressor from the bottom but filling it with oil should be a problem. If you want I can take some pictures of the compressor that I've got to give you an indication of what you'll be looking at?
I have a system already installed in my car but the compressors knackered. So I bought a used one to replace it with. Just wondering how to prime it with oil I guess.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think the oil is contained in the compressor but flushed through the pipes once pressurised and when the AC is running. Isn't that why you should run the AC every now and then (or just don't turn it off) ? That is the same oil that keeps all seals lubricated.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
No idea mate to be honest. It’s why I ask really. Reading that article posted earlier in the mid thread, it looks like you should add the oil to the pump itself?...I will do some more research!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Dom, I have a condenser (oil coming and a dryer) all brand new I can sell...may have a new car coming so won’t be fitting to my current one.
You're not giving up on this one are you? The suggestion you might has made me reconsider my options with mine to be honest, the trail of gearbox oil up the drive on Sunday was a kick in the teeth combined with the reality of it needing paint for me ever to be satisfied with it.

But still I think of doing bits to it try to make me happy😫 I'm a glutton for punishment.

What car are you getting? Another 182?

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
You're not giving up on this one are you? The suggestion you might has made me reconsider my options with mine to be honest, the trail of gearbox oil up the drive on Sunday was a kick in the teeth combined with the reality of it needing paint for me ever to be satisfied with it.

But still I think of doing bits to it try to make me happy😫 I'm a glutton for punishment.

A little ashamed to say yes Dom. The realisation that even after I get it mechanically where I want it, I’m then in a situation where to get the car where I want cosmetically is going to be another £1k plus. Plus a few issues recently I have been struggling to overcome with the car. Actually it was the Petrol blue thread that made me realise the reality of the situation.

So I have basically bought exactly what I already have.... but this time an absolute gem of an example. I wanted another titanium silver or a racing blue as they (other than liquid yellow) are the colours I like. Saw one listed Monday morning, drove up there in the afternoon and will hopefully pick it up tonight. Im looking forward to actually being able to use the car a bit Now whilst having to do the maintenance, rather than rebuilding the whole car. I couldn’t get over how quite the new car was, no knocks or bangs, how well it idled, how nice it smelt and how straight the panels were.

obviously I’ll either continue my thread or start a new one for the new car. Plus I have to get rid of the old one before I’m allowed to tax and insure the new one...wife orders!

anyone want a 182 for a project or for breaking!!

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I've spent so much now I feel a bit trapped by mine, it's really just bodywork except for the common gearbox leak- more of a gush though.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Mate likewise. I was far to committed. But every problem I fix I hit another head on. Your car is so much more special than mine. Which ultimately was just a silver 182... I am a bit annoyed with myself for not seeing it through. I not normally a quitter. But with not going on holiday this year I wanted to enjoy the car, I am planning a ring trip next year as well and would rather improve on a great foundation rather than make best and then worry hundreds of miles away that I want going to get home.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
A little ashamed to say yes Dom. The realisation that even after I get it mechanically where I want it, I’m then in a situation where to get the car where I want cosmetically is going to be another £1k plus. Plus a few issues recently I have been struggling to overcome with the car. Actually it was the Petrol blue thread that made me realise the reality of the situation.

So I have basically bought exactly what I already have.... but this time an absolute gem of an example. I wanted another titanium silver or a racing blue as they (other than liquid yellow) are the colours I like. Saw one listed Monday morning, drove up there in the afternoon and will hopefully pick it up tonight. Im looking forward to actually being able to use the car a bit Now whilst having to do the maintenance, rather than rebuilding the whole car. I couldn’t get over how quite the new car was, no knocks or bangs, how well it idled, how nice it smelt and how straight the panels were.

obviously I’ll either continue my thread or start a new one for the new car. Plus I have to get rid of the old one before I’m allowed to tax and insure the new one...wife orders!

anyone want a 182 for a project or for breaking!!
Absolutely nothing wrong with changing your car - more so if you're swapping it with a more tidy example of what you've already got!

Be a bit selfish if you're breaking your old 182 - stick hold of a couple of bits that are either tricky to obtain or that you'd like to get refurbed and put on your newer 182. I'm thinking of the likes of brake calipers as a prime example - get them all cleaned up with new seals etc, without having to take your new 182 off the road until you're ready to swap them over.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Thanks Darren, I had thought about breaking my old one. But space is going to be an issue and a lack of engine crane etc. Plus patience is something I lack with selling stuff via eBay, FB ETC. Even though there is some nice stuff on my old car. I refurbished the rear beam, replaced the brake lines, fitted braided soft lines, rebuilt the callipers, new pads and discs. Albeit the ABS sensor is shagged. Car has Eibach springs, decent tyres black I see Xenons, OE airbox, decent exhaust. Be a great donor for a track car or for someone with mechanical sympathy. The engine pulled very well when I collected it (only drove it home) I just need someone with a trailer that is zero hassle to make me a sensible offer. But suspect I’m going to have to deal with the usual Facebook morons. Already had a meaaage this morning and not even listed it yet! Loads of questions about a ‘non running car’ about things like belts...the Ghosts me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
I'm finding myself looking at RB 182s😖. I'd have a few nice bits to swap over in all fairness if I did follow you, I should have made a decision right at the start when I realised it had a gearbox leak and a few panels needing paint.

It wouldnt take much to sort, just that paint is such an expense, I might get a few quotes before I take the plunge. I also cant really justify or afford changing it either really but last night I read through the conversations I had on here when agreeing to the purchase of my old arctic 182 from Steve at R-Sport cars.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Titanium again mate, I know I’m one of the ‘odd’ few but it’s my favourite colour in 182’s other than racing blue or liquid yellow. Flame red funnily enough is my favourite 172 colour!

Don’t give up because I’m a quitter mate. I did the sums I worked out I needed another couple of grand to get my car into a shape I would be remotely happy with. That was before I started adding the bits I wanted, like Treadlines. The car kept me sane through lock down. The amount of hours spent through my 15 weeks off it was a god send. Reality is though the cheaper solution longer term is for me to change! Mad as it sounds

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member

I guess the hot weather passing makes AC less of an issue too..... until next year anyway

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
My new car spits out cold air beautifully it would seem! Problem solved 😂 unfortunately I don’t get to drive it home and sample it as I have to drop my brother up to collect for me! Also won’t be allowed to touch it until my old one is gone! Wife’s orders...by the time I sort that winter will be here and AC will need regassing😂

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
@RustyMojo Are you me in the future? Do one job it makes another worse, just want to start from fresh with a good example and be done with it :ROFLMAO:

Im such a quitter. Pathetic really but my head ruled my heart massively. I just worked out that I’m better off financially biting the bullet and calling it a day. Yeah I lose all the hours I put in, the money I have spent and have to deal with some whoppers in getting rid of the old car. But when I saw the new car, met the bloke selling it (who is a top bloke) it felt right. Just so f**king sick of rolling around on my back under a car, taking skin off my knuckles, picking rust and french detritus from my eyes and finding when I fix something (and I made sure never to bodge anything) that I would then spot something else. I’m ashamed to say it beat me ultimately

Im such a quitter. Pathetic really but my head ruled my heart massively. I just worked out that I’m better off financially biting the bullet and calling it a day. Yeah I lose all the hours I put in, the money I have spent and have to deal with some whoppers in getting rid of the old car. But when I saw the new car, met the bloke selling it (who is a top bloke) it felt right. Just so f**king sick of rolling around on my back under a car, taking skin off my knuckles, picking rust and french detritus from my eyes and finding when I fix something (and I made sure never to bodge anything) that I would then spot something else. I’m ashamed to say it beat me ultimately

No one would blame you mate, you gotta look after yourself more than the car. My problem is Im too far to quit and couldnt sell unless I wanted to lose out massively, Ive just bought all new equipment and cabinets for the tiny garage to make life a tad easier!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I have promised myself to paint the garage floor before new car goes in to live! Trying to go about things properly this time! 😂

Every time I buy another car my Mrs also says something daft like "one in one out". I keep ignoring her and so far seem to be winning. However I have run out of all available car stashing space so even I have admitted defeat so will have to begin selling.

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Titanium on anthracite turinis looks👌 I'll give my car a clean and see if I feel any better about it.

I'd love a dent and scratch free 1*2 again.

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Just got it home. Super chuffed. Only place I forgot to check was fuel filler cap and soda law I need to sort it. But that’s easy fix. Couple of tiny shopping dings I’ll get dent man to sort.
This is the Turini’s I have to go on it!
CA349BAC-FD33-4BF0-B1C7-CBE0B1180A2B.jpeg

Excuse the carpet and terrible condition of my office! Now do i continue my old project thread or start a new one?