ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accelerator doesn't work. Revs bounce up and down on idle.

When the car is idling in neutral, the revs bounce from 1000rpm to 2/2500rpm repeatedly. So it's going "vroom, back down, vroom, back down, vroom, back down" by itself.
Touching the accelerator does nothing. Doesn't increase revs or appear to work at all.

I've swapped the pedal assemply (electronic throttle) still did it.
Also cleaned the throttle body to no avail.

It's intermittent. Sometimes car/accelerator will work fine, other times it'll be as described from start up. Or do it suddenly whilst driving along.

Any ideas?

Clio 182
This happened to me and was a melted cable in the engine bay going to throttle body..purple I think it was..just a suggestion to check

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
This happened to me for a short while until I noticed that I hadn't pushed the plug all the way in on the pedal - you really have to give it a good plugging!

Can't see any botched wires.
I took apart the potentiometer, and seems to have cleared some faults. Still getting idle control valve fault though.
​potentiometer makes a weird noise like a hard drive spinning lol.

Thing is its intermittent. Most of the time since putting it back together its been fine.

Clio 172
Mine did the same at one point and turned out it was the battery that was weak. Put a new one on and it's been fine since.

I bought one off here for £30

edit, there must be someone close to you that would be willing to try theirs in yours to see If its the problem for beer tokens for a 10 minute job.

www.renparts.co.uk
the dreaded electronic throttle body on the 1.2 8v!! over £300 new from renault, and only fitted from 2001 -2003 so quite hard to get hold of! Went back to manual throttle body after that as it was such a terrible throttle body! Think we have a car coming on wednesday that should have one on it.

Well, I sourced a replacement throttle body, and surprise surprise, it still doesn't work.

So I've checked:
Replaced accelerator pedal.
Replaced Throttle body.
Checked loom for any visible wiring damage.

None of which have worked. It's driving me insane.
Thing is its intermittent. Sometimes it'll appear to work absolutely fine. Then randomly start doing the rev bouncing again. I'm begging for ideas lol.

danward

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Maybe the connection for plugging the accelerator in is corroded or is failing in that area?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
loom damage somewhere. probably going to be a relay that powers the TB, which has an output from the ECU to trigger the relay. I'd be lookng there first

Clio 172 182 197 200
Loom damage common ecu bracket wears through at back of inlet remove the metal casing it ll be shorting across.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Loom damage common ecu bracket wears through at back of inlet remove the metal casing it ll be shorting across.

If it's the 8v D7F then the ECU is in a different place and so unlikely to be this. If though it turns out to be the 16v D4F then it is possible alomg with damaged/corroded ECU pins, bad earths, other loom issues.

I don't even bother fixong these looms anymore I just replace them with new ones... bloody hornets nest like things these are for problems where you fix one issue and cause another three.

The bouncing you are seeing is as a result of some item not being detected by the ecu (open circuit) be it the TB or the Pedal tracks. Take it to someone that knows what they're doing as I personally don't think swapping parts will fix it, this is wiring at fault.

Definitely the 8v D7F . Yea it's definitely a wiring problem like you say. The circuit is short circuiting somewhere (according to one of the error codes)

Where I have no idea. No obvious exposed wires or loom damage.

I did read about this metal bracket, but pretty sure this engine don't have that. Ecu is in same place as 182's .

I just wanted to be certain so eliminated a few possibilities by swapping a few parts.

Hpd

Clio 2
I know this thread is YEARS old but I have this exact same car (8v) and the exact same problem! If anyone could help please 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Hpd

Clio 2
Hope this helps

Attachments

• 4046987E-4BC4-4A45-AAF3-22320A745F46.jpeg
    4046987E-4BC4-4A45-AAF3-22320A745F46.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 229

Hpd

Clio 2
Thanks for help. I think it’s an electronic throttle body (if that’s such a thing) so not sure how I go about cleaning it?

Hpd

Clio 2
This could be the problem

Attachments

• 646A1126-E31C-43AB-8201-597A1648E38E.jpeg
    646A1126-E31C-43AB-8201-597A1648E38E.jpeg
    385.8 KB · Views: 232

Hpd

Clio 2
Refitted and the car works. Hopefully that’s the end of this problem!

Attachments

• C808B5F0-420C-45B7-A695-52D06577779D.jpeg
    C808B5F0-420C-45B7-A695-52D06577779D.jpeg
    378.6 KB · Views: 181
  • AC9616B9-7873-44A1-9751-A3028E3128B4.jpeg
    AC9616B9-7873-44A1-9751-A3028E3128B4.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 135