ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acrid plastic burning smell.

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Started my 172 earlier on and immediately it sounded like it had a slight whine coming from under the bonnet. As I drove home I became increasingly aware of a god awful smell emanating from the bonnet area. Parked up at home and had a look under the hood and it seems to be coming from the Altenator/Aux belt area, and it's PROPER acrid. Oil level seems fine as does the coolant etc etc. What I can see of the Aux belt it looks fine, and the engine runs smoothly.

What is the general consesus ? Sound like the Altenator or should I be looking elsewhere ?

Thanks all :)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yep. Alternator.

I had the same fault appear almost exactly a year ago. Ended after being stuck in traffic jam for hours and then queuing to go through the rotherhithe tunnel, dashboard started lighting up like a christmas tree so I thought "f**k going through the tunnel" and drove past the entrance, got another hundred or so metres up the road and the car died. Thank f**k I didn't go through the tunnel!

The AA man got the car started and charged the battery a bit, but I ended up driving home (only about 10 miles) in low gears to try and keep some charge in the battery.

Replaced the alternator and all was good.

Edit:

it'd get properly hot too, you'd put the fans on in the car on a low temp and really hot air would come out.

Last edited:
  172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Thanks guys, does sound the same yes, I'll get it looked at. Any ideads on price for Altenator and fitting ?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
sounds very much like alternator. Got a used one of my car as i've converted to cup setup

catch you on MSN later

172 Ph2, Mk1 MX5 1.8
Just to follow this up, it was indeed the Alternator, the voltage regulators or some such. Also when I got it off, the windings looked black. and the whole thing stank like a house fire.

All fixed now tho :)

Skoda fabia Vrs
Exactly the same issue I got today :( bloody stinks!!

So it will pack in on me eventually?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, fo'shizzle so don't put it off.

Get it changed before it has chance to push out more than +14volts and does some real damage to your electronics!

Mick

Skoda fabia Vrs
Need to drive it today 30 miles to get it sorted. Hope it doesn't pack in on me.

A love warranty though!! Lol