ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advantages of HID's?

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Basically i was wondering whether installing a set of 6k hid's into my projector lights would be worth it? Im not looking for whether they are legal or illegal, i just want to know if they will actually do what they say, and provide a better light.

The whole i reason i am asking is because i originally bought projector lights in the hope they would be better than the bog standard ones, which they are slightly, however still dont show much of the road more than 2 metres ahead.

Any help on this would be good, and if anyone has fitted them would be helpful, such as whether they are easy to fit.
Cheers

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yeah i would say they would i had 6000K on my old 172 and they were very good .

Basically i was wondering whether installing a set of 6k hid's into my projector lights would be worth it? Im not looking for whether they are legal or illegal, i just want to know if they will actually do what they say, and provide a better light.

The whole i reason i am asking is because i originally bought projector lights in the hope they would be better than the bog standard ones, which they are slightly, however still dont show much of the road more than 2 metres ahead.

Any help on this would be good, and if anyone has fitted them would be helpful, such as whether they are easy to fit.
Cheers

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
I had 6000k on my corsa and the difference was night and day and now ive got 4300k in the 182 and they are still better yhan normal bulbs there brighter and light up the road further in frobt of you

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Pretty sure the rules state that you must have self levelling headlamps along with headlight washers to make them legal technically. But i've fitted HIDs into my Dads car for years, as well as mine and not had any problems, even through MOTs.

I'd say go for it if you have Projector headlights, easy as hell to install. Just about to install some 3k HIDs into the fogs of my saxo right now :D

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
cheers for the replies, MOT's arnt a problem to me as to whether they will pass, and as for legality i couldnt really give a s**t tbh.

Installation wise, what does it involve?

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO
Plug and play mainly and fixing down the balast packs the bit i took most time doing was hidein the wires

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Takes 2 minute to fit, really easy. And the difference is fantastic IMO, I have 6k in mine and I never need my full beam on.

Clio 172
Pretty sure the rules state that you must have self levelling headlamps along with headlight washers to make them legal technically. But i've fitted HIDs into my Dads car for years, as well as mine and not had any problems, even through MOTs.

I'd say go for it if you have Projector headlights, easy as hell to install. Just about to install some 3k HIDs into the fogs of my saxo right now :D

Think the pigs.... erm I mean police have much better things to do than pull people over who don't have self levelling headlamps and headlight washers - such as checking no-one is "making trouble" at the local Krispy Kreme's.

In response to the original question..... Yes! Get an HID kit. I bought a cheap 6000k one from hong kong for my CBR600 a couple of years ago, £28 posted if IIRC! (Obviously only one ballast and ignitor needed though, but still!). The kit was absolutely spot on. I'm not saying all the cheap ones off eBay will be, but it does go to show that you don't always get the quality you pay for. Made so much difference, as a previous poster said - night and day.

I personally liked the colour of the 6000k kit I had, to my eyes it looked pure white - not a hint of chavvy blue. I also like the 4300k standard colour in my 172. Go for it mate. Just make sure when you get them fitted that your headlights are in the right pattern and not shining too high, otherwise you'll get everyone flashing you!

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
been having a look, what is the difference between the 35w kits and the 50w kits? Which is best to go for, and also why are the slim ballast packs more expensive?

cheers

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Get some, the dazzle & ott electric blue tinge looks awesome & makes you easily identifiable/avoidable on the road at night.

Maybe you could mix & match them with some ripspeed accessories from halfords? :)

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
50W kits are generall more powerful than 35W. Slim ballasts are for people with no room behind or under there headlights.

In terms of the cheap kits, i just bought the cheapest set on ebay, £28 delivered. They work just as good but they take longer to warm up when they are switched on. Bare in mind that people selling kits for £100+ are generally the same kit. HID Direct look fairly decent though.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
Cheers Savi, ive had a look around ebay and there loads going for cheap? Was your kit english, or did it come over from china? There seems to be alot from china/hong kong at a very good price, but was a bit sceptical about buying.

Maybe you could mix & match them with some ripspeed accessories from halfords? :)

Sounds like you enjoy your tasteful mods pablo, think i might take you up on your offer and get some blingin' plates for my wipers, or even get some LED washer jets :approve:

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Yeah got mine from china/hong kong. There a kit in my dads BMW thats from china, been working without fail for 3 years now. A kit that was in my clio lasted nearly 2 years

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Cheers Savi, ive had a look around ebay and there loads going for cheap? Was your kit english, or did it come over from china? There seems to be alot from china/hong kong at a very good price, but was a bit sceptical about buying.

Sounds like you enjoy your tasteful mods pablo, think i might take you up on your offer and get some blingin' plates for my wipers, or even get some LED washer jets :approve:

For sure, they'd look mint-I <3 tasteful mods. You should definitely get both. :)

Clio 172
50W kits are generall more powerful than 35W. Slim ballasts are for people with no room behind or under there headlights.

In terms of the cheap kits, i just bought the cheapest set on ebay, £28 delivered. They work just as good but they take longer to warm up when they are switched on. Bare in mind that people selling kits for £100+ are generally the same kit. HID Direct look fairly decent though.

Thats weird, the cheap ones that I had on my bike warmed up just as quick as the ones on my 172, if not even quicker! Around a second I'd say, if that. How long are you taling with your kit? a few seconds, longer?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Well i think its lime green because of the yellow tint film on the fogs :S not too sure lol

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
28 quid cant be haggled with tbf, and as for looking the tits, iirc they rake in the birds coming out of maccie dees, especially on a friday night.

Where abouts you from savi, just saw Newcastle on your post?

STEALTH RAIDER
I had some 6000k for my fez that lasted for 3 years, sold my car and the other guy has had them in for nearly 2 now. My gf has got some in hers at the mo, roughly 2 years old. If you dont mind them being wing wong wang ones then these are belting. They are uk dispatch too. Dont take ages to warm up either. Id say less than 5 secs and have the slim ballasts. Plus you get a 2 yr warranty with them for peace of mind mate. You pay slightly more but well worth every penny http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xenon-HID-Con...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4cec249814

Clio 172
^^ can't get a better recommendation than that, those are the ones I'd go for without a doubt. IMO that'd be £50 well spent. I'd go with the 5000k ones though I reckon, to look like manufacturer fitted. I'd also be tempted by the bi-xenon they sell, which obviously incorporates high beam as well. Still looks pretty simple to fit.

Anyone know if the Clio's have a bulb warning system that will mess with these kits?

Last edited:
  Clio 172
^^ can't get a better recommendation than that, those are the ones I'd go for without a doubt. IMO that'd be £50 well spent. I'd go with the 5000k ones though I reckon, to look like manufacturer fitted. I'd also be tempted by the bi-xenon they sell, which obviously incorporates high beam as well. Still looks pretty simple to fit.

Anyone know if the Clio's have a bulb warning system that will mess with these kits?

Clios don't take bixenon

Clio 172
Because the main beam and dipped beam are a different bulb. Iirc

They are in most cars mate. The bi-xenon kits do away with the main beam bulb altogether and just use one bulb which can switch between dipped headlight and main beam - switching with a relay. I'm guessing the relay connects inline with the empty main beam bulb connector and and the dipped headlight connector, to "sense" the switch between dipped and main beam. See the link for them here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330379346373

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
i ended up buying a set from hid direct off ebay, they included a 2 year warranty and only set me back about 50 pound. I thought it was a decent deal tbh, just need to try and fit them now